Water Bowl Drama!

PANDI-GIRL

We had family visit for 2 weeks over  Christmas,  their little  Shetland Sheepdog  stayed indoors with us also. lovely visit.

Funny thing was Pandi would not drink water from her bowl if the other dog drank from it ,  even with  water bowls changed  2 times a day.

She would walk around the bowl & look at it from all sides, then look at me ,

I felt pretty bad when  Pandi  started pawing at my shower door trying to open it, all for a drink of water.

I had to leave a fresh water bowl for her in my bedroom, 

Funny dogs , i thought dogs would drink from anywhere &  anything.

• Haha 2

Was Pandi a cat in a former life? One of my cats is exactly the same - refuses to drink from a communal water bowl, has to have his own personal bowl and heaven help the foster cat who dares to contaminate his bowl with their tongue! My other cats will happily share the dogs indoor bowl, even though every cat food station has it's own water bowl. 

Maybe they are like small boys afraid of catching girl-germs or vice versa!

my dog prefers to drink from the running tap than the bowl under it... she won't drink water from any bowl when we're travelling or at competitons.  I get round this by having a bottle of yogurt and water mixed.  I also get her to drink from a sports drink bottle that I squeeze so she can drink out of the "running tap"...

And she doesn't like drinking from a bowl that another dog has spat in.. and her best friend for each unit of water she drinks - leaves a unit of spit behind in the bowl so they can't share.

But find a really menky bucket of water that has been breeding mozzies and algae for a month or so - or puddle in the park... she will drink out of that.  I suspect all the life forms in it makes her think it must be ok.

• Haha 4

My cat will only drink from the tap, or a fresh bowl that I've just sat down. She refuses to share communal bowls and she hates the kitty litter. Despite that though shes an awesome cat, she'll follow us everywhere and is always down to snuggle (our other cats are more reserved). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2018 at 10:24 PM, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

My dog is the same... she will only drink water from her own bowl ... she is also like that with her balls, she only plays with her own ball... if someone throws a different ball to her she won’t catch or play with it.

Can be a real pain when it's a pony, she wouldn't drink unless we brought water from home, so for away mounted games or any other thing had to take enough water to last till we were back home n the darned 20itre containers are HEAVY 

On 1/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Scrappi&Monty said:

Dogs sure are weird :laugh: 

Luckily I don’t have any sharing water bowls problems, but I do have one dog who rarely eats out of her own bowl.  Despite being fed exactly the same, she waits until Tamar has finished and then (only sometimes) will finish Tamar’s.  The other two, Bunter and Mezza, are shut in separate rooms because they would eat until they burst, so when Tamar and Jeune are let in from the deck, Jeune prowls around finishing up any leftovers.  I regularly tip her untouched meal into one of the other bowls and she will eat it.  Drives me INSANE !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Dame Danny's Darling  Jeune must love the colour of the other bowl,  she thinks  the other doggy's  have something  better than she does  :laugh:

Generally they are all the same sort of bowl :laugh:.  I could not even hazard a guess as to what is going on in that brain of hers.   I now have to sometimes shut her in the room where Bunter has had his meal.  She will lick out the remains (generally nothing) of his bowl, I’ll tip her food into his bowl and most of the time she happily eats. :banghead: :banghead:

So long as she eats, though.   

• Like 1

having to smile at some of these .... been there , done that in the city .  :) 
here, it's river water ....or river water ......or none , and no one  can afford to care if there are others' legs standing in it , or weeds growing in it , or kangaroo spit floating on it   LOL .

working away, there are troughs , or dams ,or water out of a large container The Boss carries ....

Edited by persephone

12 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

a friend of mine reckons dogs wont drink from a bowl where the previous dog who's drunk from it has bad teeth. He reckons their saliva taints the water. 

That's quite possible in bowls - our smallest containers are 10 litres  ;)