Attention German Shepherd Breeders

dngrscrvs

Hi All,

We have been out of the loop for a while we bought our last GS puppy in 2002 and she was $600. I have started making enquiries as we would like to get another GS but I have noticed that the prices have risen astronomically. I have enquired with a few breeders and I get pricing between $2000 to $3000. With the explanation that its all the medical testing etc etc that the puppies go through that is why its so high. Does anyone out there sell their puppies for under $2000 anymore or am I going to be faced with going to a backyardie because in the real world who has that type of money lying around?

We are a middle aged couple, no children we currently have 2 Alaskan Malamutes (one from a breeder the other a rescue) we do dog sports at the moment Sled Dog Racing but looking to retire from the sport in a couple of years and do less punishing dog sports like obedience etc. We have had 3 GS in the past. We just want a pet not fussed about showing accolades just want a solid working line female. Our dogs are our children and they are treated with love and respect. Assistance greatly appreciated.

I don't know about breeders but as a rescue we've had to up fees because the expenses of daily care and vet treatment has risen far above what it used to be. I'm not surprised at all by the pricing if it means a quality pup. 

Best wishes for finding your doggie though. :) Here's a list of GSD breeders if you need to explore options further, you may even find an older pup  https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/german-shepherd-dog.asp 

• Like 1

I am not a breeder or associated in any way with German Shepherds.  My choice of breed is the Miniature Schnauzer.  Many years ago, my family's first mini cost us $800, and at the time, we thought wow, that's a lot of money.  Several years later our next boy was $1250.  At the present time, they are anywhere from $2500 - $3500 for a pet.  Even with such a price tag, I would NEVER consider going to a backyardie as you put it.  The dedicated breeder I imagine goes to a great deal of trouble with health checks and research in an attempt to better the breed, not just put this to that for monetary gain.  In the long run, I personally don't think it's worth trying to save at the purchase stage and then possibly get lumbered with medical vet bills later on, not to say that it doesn't happen with registered breeder purchased pups.  At least with the registered breeder, you have someone to lean on for help, advice and support.

• Like 4

You could try Germ,an Shepherd dog Rescue as well.  They are breed specific and you can often find young dogs that would suit your lifestyle.   Good luck.

Here's the link, if you're in SA https://gsdrescuesa.com.au/adopt.html

You could also try https://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10692

Or

https://perfectpets.com.au/profile/shelter-rescue-welfare/german-shepherd-dogs-in-need/Wynnum+West--Brisbane----QLD/773

• Like 1

Not a GSD person, but I would have thought $2000 - $3000 range was not unreasonable.   Several of the GSD people I know of are bringing in new lines from overseas, and so their costs are even higher than normal, and they'd have to reflect that in their prices.  And if you really mean working lines, then I would expect prices to be higher than 'ordinary' GSD lines (for want of a better word, because there are fewer breeders of working line GSDs as far as I know.   For me when I look at getting a pure bred dog, the price is less relevant than things like the lines behind the dog, the results of parental and familial health screening, the care and enrichment given to the puppies and the rapport with and support from the breeder.   Good luck with getting that from a BYB.

Edited by Tassie
ETFix typo
  • Like 2

We have tried German Shepherd Rescue SA when a 6 month old girl came up but due to their policy of not placing a female where there is already a resident female they wouldn’t accept us even though we have had 2 girls at once in the past (twice) without any issues. Our resident female is an Alaskan Malamute and she is bullet proof when it comes to other dogs.

getting an older dog is an option but they have to get along with our current dogs.

I see their concern, I wouldn't house two females together either, your girl might be bulletproof in the park, walking etc, but having another female living in her house can bring trouble.  They don't call them bitches for nothing.  :laugh:  Is it specifically a female you wanted?

• Like 2

I’m a GSD breeder - short answer is nope, that’s how much they cost. Everything costs more now than in 2002, vet costs, health testing, stud fees, canine association charges etc. Even BYB dogs are over $1000 with no health testing or support!

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t place a female GSD in a home with another female. Sure, sometimes it’s fine but when it’s not it’s hell for everyone 

• Like 5