Kyojin has bitten someone - what would you do?

minxy

• 2 months later...

It's with a very heavy heart that I update you all to say that Kyojin was put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to both of the vets that have looked after him throughout his life (same clinic) and both felt that he was deteriorating cognitively. We found a few lumps on his body including one inside his nose. His eyesight was starting to go as well (already been deaf for a few years now), particularly struggling to see when it started to get dark and was getting even jumpier than normal. He had started to appear quite sad really, sleeping even more than normal and withdrawing contact from my husband and I as well. No further altercations with the neighbour, however one morning I also caught him snapping at our goats as well narrowly missing one of them (poor things have no survival skills and just stood there at the fence eating while he was trying to get to them). 

It seemed the right thing to do both for his own health which seemed to be increasingly declining as well as for everyone elses' safety as well as his behaviour was getting unpredictable. At the vets we noticed he'd also lost a significant amount of weight as well (not really visible due to his thick coat).

It was a horrible decision to make and I didn't sleep for a good week afterwards and still miss him terribly, but I know it was also the kindest decision to make. 

My husband and I planted a pink tabebuia tree in our front yard that afternoon with his collars buried under it. It's going to be a glorious tree one day that will stand out from the rest of the bush surrounding us so that everyone who drives past can see his beautiful tree and smile too. 

11gkt35.jpg 

e8mluo.jpg

2choz8i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

So sorry to hear your bad news. It’s not nice but it truly sounds like you made the right decision, be it a hard and difficult one. He was a gorgeous looking boy and I bet he had a wonderful life. Take care. My thoughts are with you.

Rest easy Kyojin. 

• Like 3

So sorry Minxy. The tree is a lovely idea, and what a pretty one it will be.
What a gorgeous boy, he lived to a good age, and you did the kindest thing as an owner, knowing when it was time.  It is hard though, and most of us have been though it at some stage.  :hug: 

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone. It was hard even posting it here as it brought so much emotion back up but I really appreciate your kind words. He was a beautiful boy and will be loved and remembered forever. 

• Like 4

Your choice of tree is so beautiful, that is the hardest part, saying goodbye. my old girl ACD Misty is nudging 14, face is going white, can still hear well and eyesight ok but when she is asleep . out like a light. nothing wakes her not even I discovered when I decided to put the advocate on the other day,  I part the hair put a little dab in one spot then part another spot and so on, some 6 different spots, expecting her to wake up any second, her snoring didn't miss a beat.  Was laughing so much nearly put it on myself.  As she has aged, fleas really make her itch if she even gets one these days so have to be really on to them.

Her walking has really slowed down this past year, no use in protecting the chooks from the foxes anymore, they know it and were taking them in broad daylight so the poor chooks can only be out now when I can guard them then put them away.  She isnt impressed no chooks to follow around anymore, she loves it when they leave her an egg under a bush instead of the nest box, she knows nest box is off limits but outside gifts are ok.  LOL

Edited by asal
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, asal said:

Your choice of tree is so beautiful, that is the hardest part, saying goodbye. my old girl ACD Misty is nudging 14, face is going white, can still hear well and eyesight ok but when she is asleep . out like a light. nothing wakes her not even I discovered when I decided to put the advocate on the other day,  I part the hair put a little dab in one spot then part another spot and so on, some 6 different spots, expecting her to wake up any second, her snoring didn't miss a beat.  Was laughing so much nearly put it on myself.  As she has aged, fleas really make her itch if she even gets one these days so have to be really on to them.

Her walking has really slowed down this past year, no use in protecting the chooks from the foxes anymore, they know it and were taking them in broad daylight so the poor chooks can only be out now when I can guard them then put them away.  She isnt impressed no chooks to follow around anymore, she loves it when they leave her an egg under a bush instead of the nest box, she knows nest box is off limits but outside gifts are ok.  LOL

It's so hard knowing when the right time is. You want them with you as long as possible but then you don't want to keep them here selfishly when you know it's not in their best interest anymore. 14 is wonderful, so many lovely memories you'd have together. :heart:

• Like 2

So sorry Minxy, Kyojin was a beautiful big boy. His tree will be a lovely memorial. So many of our DOL oldies are leaving us, so loved all of them.

Edited by BJ.
  • Like 2

I am so sorry, I know how much you loved him. It is never an easy decision to make, but thank you for helping him so that he did not need to deteriorate to advanced debility. I love your choice of memorial tree. Hugs. 

• Like 1