Anyone had a dog have a stroke?

WoofnHoof

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had a dog suffer from a stroke before. My little old girl Lulu had some teeth extracted a few weeks ago and she hasn't been right ever since. She has kidney issues, heart murmur and dementia so she isn't doing great and this question is largely academic since I know she doesn't have long :( Anyway despite her issues the vet was confident and happy to do her teeth with extra fluids etc to support her system. Buts after the teeth were done and she came out of the anaesthetic she seemed really out of it for about a week, not really eating properly, falling over a lot etc. I took her back to the vet and she prescribed some steriods to help pick her up a bit and stimulate her appetite. It has helped somewhat as now she is eating well but she seems to really struggle with chewing and keeping the food in her mouth. She is very wobbly and while she circles a lot with the dementia she also seems much less stable and falls over especially on the left side.  This makes me wonder whether she had a stroke while she was under the anaesthetic. I've never seen a dog that has had a stroke before so not really sure what it would look like so thought I would ask here so thanks in advance :)  

• Sad 1

My 19 yr old Bob had a stroke, he couldn't walk or stand, he didn't know were he was and was very confused, couldn't see, he had some sight before but that went as well.

It was a hard day for me that day.

I hope its just the affects of the op, they can knock around the oldies a lot.

I hope your girl improves.

• Like 2

Sounds like vestibular to me particularly as she is falling and circling. Does she have a head tilt?

Sorry if I seem to be always harping on about acupuncture, but my old Belgian Shepherd who suffered a particularly horrendous vestibular attack in December, is 95% right after two acupuncture sessions (acupuncture is especially good for conditions which affect the nerves).

Obviously the only way to really know what is going on is to have a CT scan, but the outcome will make no difference.....so love her every day and just make sure she is content and comfortable :hug:

• Like 1

Thanks guys I’ll see if there is one here but I think the decision has pretty much been made, at this point it just feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic :(

She has been circling and getting stuck in corners and getting lost for a while now because of the dementia. She only started the falling and the lopsidedness since the teeth were done. I was looking at her last night and I think that a stroke is more likely as her left eye is a bit droopy as well. 

7JmSD6b.jpg

• Sad 5

I’ve booked it at the vets tomorrow and now I’m freaking out :( 

I made the decision yesterday when I realised that I couldn’t remember how long it had been since she had wagged her little bobtail :( I remember the last time she seemed excited about dinner and that was months ago. I always tell people that when you start thinking about it that’s when it’s your brain preparing you so you already know it’s time on some level and so I still feel it’s right but it also feels wrong :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 3