Anxious weeing

MadWoofter

A colleague is having problems with their 5yo Ridgeback who has been incontinent for a little while now.  Vet checks & a slew of tests have ruled out anything physical, and they're realising that it seems to be anxiety related in that she wees when someone makes a loud noise, or she gets startled.  Their home & living situation changed a few months ago which is probably a bit contributor.

They're doing some research and are looking at rescue remedy and thundershirts.  My knowledge is pretty lacking in this area, so I thought I'd ask the DOL brains trust if anyone has some good methods for keeping an overall generally anxious dog calm.  They are working on this with their vet too, but I thought I'd ask for any experience.

Thanks

Having seen the difference it has made to dogs who are frightened by approaching storms, I am a  believer in valium.  Tiny doses turned really really frightened little doggies back to normal in 10-20 minutes.  

I know this poor girl is weeing when startled and similar, but it could help.   

• Adaptil - diffuser or collar, but buy online from a reputable/authorised stockist (not eBay) as it’s very expensive otherwise

• An experienced force free behavioural trainer to help desensitise/counter condition to triggers and reduce anxiety in general (check PPGA or Delta websites)

• There is a lot of environment management you can do too - trainer/vet can help with this

• Anti-anxiety medication if needed - may need to see a vet with further training/quals in behaviour medicine if beyond the expertise of their GP vet. With generalised anxiety/noise phobia I think they’d be more likely to try something like Fluoxetine first rather than a benzo. Do not give meds alongside supplements without vet clearance.

• I assume a slew of tests includes blood tests to screen for other illnesses that may cause/contribute to anxiety.

Malcolm has generalised anxiety disorder, noise phobia and canine OCD. I did a lot of DS/CC to noises, but medication has absolutely been necessary and has improved his quality of life dramatically. I wish I knew he needed it sooner. This Ridgie is blessed to have owners helping with her anxiety. :)

• Like 2

How do they feel about prescription drugs? :)  Not everyone is a fan but there is a number available that can be used alongside behavioural modification and things like thunder shirts quite effectively. I've never had Adaptil do a single thing but some swear by it so may be worth a go too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

How do they feel about prescription drugs? :)  Not everyone is a fan but there is a number available that can be used alongside behavioural modification and things like thunder shirts quite effectively. I've never had Adaptil do a single thing but some swear by it so may be worth a go too. 

It did zilch for us too but ditto on others swearing by it. There is a money-back guarantee that I found out about too late. :( Keep the receipts and claim within the required time period if unsuccessful!

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

Acupuncture did wonders for my Kelpie who became anxious due to the onset of sudden deafness. We see a great holistic vet here in Canberra who recommended trying a number of things (one at a time) in tandem with acupucture.

L-Tryptophan

L-Tyrosine

Fully active B12

B6

Magnesium

FWIW Prozac made our boy shut down completely.