Older dog with kidney ssues

tdierikx

I know this should be in the Health section, but figure it will get more viewers here...

My friend's nearly 13 year old Stafford has been diagnosed with failing kidneys.

She has been given the Hills KD stuff to feed, but the dog refuses to eat it... and actually gets so distressed when offered it, that she stress vomits and pees all over the floor.

Saffi (the dog) has also dropped a lot of weight recently, and has some food intolerances. We have found that she can eat raw turkey necks (which she loves above all else) and also loves cooked chicken thighs with brown rice. Raw chicken makes her vomit...

I'm of the opinion that it's come down to a quality vs quantity question with Saffi... feed her what she will actually eat and not have a meltdown, and just know that her time is more limited but less stressful for her. My friend is also leaning towards this option, as she can't bear to see Saffi so stressed at being offered food that will maybe only give her a few more months with us anyways. On the flipside, my friend is a bit distressed herself that Saffi will probably be flying with the angels sooner than she'd like.

Does anyone here have any ideas about what other foods we can try with Saffi that may have a lower protein and salt content, so her kidneys aren't working so hard... and maybe will give her a little bit more quality time with my friend?

My friend has also just retired from work last week... and I really don't want her to start fixating on Saffi's issues in place of the hours she used to be working... that wouldn't be healthy for either of them IMHO...

T.

Feed her what she will eat. It helps if it's made fresh, not from the fridge.

Feed her what she wants and the day she refuses even her favourites is the day she has had enough.
I've had acupuncture done and sub cutaneous fluids to help with hydration (wellbeing). But unfortunately though, there is no holding back kidney failure and it can take them away from us very quickly. :( 

I forgot to add.

A popular kidney failure meal has always been freshly cooked in the non stick pan. Human grade mince, egg white and cooked sweet potato. Made into little meatballs with farex to bind them. Carbs, quality protein, fibre and fats, not a 'recommended' diet though. Just a tasty one. 

But subQ fluids really help with appetite too.

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 3

My DIL's jack russell cross had kidney failure and refused the KD food. He was 18 at the time. He was fed on what he liked to eat which was the VIP roll and smackoos as treats. He lived for another 18 months on this diet before it became necessary to PTS.

Guest crazydoglady99

I just finished reading "nutrigenomics" by Jean Dodds. It has a TONNE of stuff about diet and kidney issues.

When I get a minute, I will re-read the chapter and write here what it suggests.

Guest crazydoglady99

Kidney diet: (paraphrased from Jean Dodd's book)

White/brown rice OR white potato
White fish cooked OR sardines OR pork OR duck (no high mercury fish)

Ratio of 2/3 rice/potato, 1/3 fish.

Preferably fed as 3 or 4 meals per day.

When your dog is feeling better you can add finely chopped/pureed cooked veg such as carrots, zucchini, squash, spinach, kale, and 1 cooked egg per meal.

Supplements such as: omega3 (ie green lipped mussel) & probiotics.

No dry kibble or dry kidney diets as the moisture is low and further stresses dogs kidneys. And they are too high in carbohydrates which cause inflammation in the kidneys.

(Powerlegs is all over it!!!)

For me personally, I would also use turkey, necks if tolerated, or turkey type barf patties. That's just based on my experiences with turkey!

All the best for her and her beautiful dog x

Plenty of good compassionate advice here.  I hope your friend will follow it.  Also thanks to animallover99 for that extract.  I was going to suggest googling kidney diets and finding one that Saffie will enjoy.  Most of us who have dealt with the veterinary needs of older dogs will lean towards quality over quantity, sad as it may be for someone who was not expecting it.  

• Like 1

From some information provided to me from my holistic vet......but ideally I recommend your friend seek a consultation with a holistic practitioner locally.......

For Kidney Disease;

Protein;
Diets should have high energy density, with a moderate amount of protein of high biologic value (15–20% in dogs and 28% in cats). Aim for 2.2g protein/kg body weight daily
Phosphorus;
Less than 0.4–0.6% phosphorus (dry-matter basis)
Sodium;
Less than 0.2–0.4% sodium (dry-matter basis)
Calcium;
Balanced calcium level and increased levels of water-soluble vitamins, should be included. Calcium binds to phosphorus preventing uptake. 1/2 tsp crushed egg shell per 20kg per day.
Fibre;
Feeding moderately fermentable fibre can facilitate enteric dialysis and provide a non-renal route of urea excretion.
Fats;
In advanced renal failure with high BUN and serum phosphorus levels, more energy from fat should be included, 11% protein calories, 1.5gm protein/kg body weight, less than 0.2% phosphorus.
Water;
Fresh water free choice. Water fountains encourage drinking

Meats - Turkey, Cod, Rabbit, Pork, Duck, Egg, Beef, Kidney (esp pork kidney), Sardines.
Veggies - Beetroot, Broccoli, Leafy greens, Kale, Celery, Seaweed/Kelp, Chinese Cabbage, Cucumber, Green beans
Fruits - Berries, Banana, Persimmon, Tomato, Lychee.
Grains/Beans - Adzuki beans, Millet, Barley, Rice, Quinoa - in winter, Sweet potato/yam.
Fats - Coconut oil, Ghee, Flaxseed oil, Olive oil

Herbs;
Chinese Herbs; Xiao Yao San
Homotoxicology; Heel Reneel 7 drops TWICE daily - Not needed at this stage
Probiotics; Protexin 
Calcium; Crushed Eggshells daily with meats 1/2 tsp daily
Vit B’s - 1/4 human vit B daily
Vit E - as above
CoQ10 - 30mg every second day (can do daily to start with)

I rocked up with a big KFC feast and lots of happy memories to talk about last night... and we had lots of laughs and a few tears... Saffi is being remembered REALLY well... as she deserves!

My friend still has a 7 year old AmStaff cross she adopted from me as a pup - one of my many fosters. Bonni (the dog) is so far quite happy to go with the flow of the routine changes and no cranky Saffi telling her off for being a doofus. She was in fine form last night showing us how she can hide her ball and find it again... lol! She also got to have a couple of nuggets and some chips... even though she's supposed to be on a diet... errr!

T.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...