Grooming scruffy terrier

Hi all, 

Any tips for grooming a scruffy terrier mixed breed? I’ve never owned a wirey breed before. I feel like he needs something a bit more than a bath and brushing. 

Would you hand strip? Would a professional groomer be ok with me paying to be taught how to groom Frankie the best way? 

I have no idea of his breed. If I was to guess I’d say possibly some Aussie terrier in there, but who knows? 

Thanks 

B0C5F5B1-47E7-4709-8CC2-BC7BBEB411B4.jpeg

I can only compare to a border terrier but my dogs coat is ready for stripping if I can pull the longer hairs out easily. If you can do this it would pay to start practicing a little bit at a time now to desensitize her, rather than a full groom at the groomer which leave them feeling uncomfortable because it's all done it once. It's best not to bathe them after a groom for at least a few days because their skin is sensitive and washing can irritate it.

Firstly read this great in depth explanation by US terrier handler Scott Wasserman - Begin Hand Stripping

Then, now that you know the theory, watch these videos

Here is a professional groomer hand stripping a  pet Jack Russell - Mr & Mrs Groomer   (you probably don't want your boy quite this naked LOL)

And here is US groomer Michell Evans hand stripping an Australian Terrier: - Part I   and Part II

Very few professional groomers do hand strip, it's not too hard to learn to do it on your own dog!