Dog Injured

Caitlin888

IMG_6595.jpg.thumb.jpeg.86fef4a191c40b5a416617611d1803be.jpegHi, I went to pick up my dog this morning and he let out a little squeal and I noticed he had some sort of cut. Its a little bit messy with blood so I can't tell if there is a cut or how deep it is but he has been licking it and I am worried it could turn into an infection. Does anyone have any idea what it is, how we can treat it because I will try get him to the vet tomorrow if it seems to be getting no better. Any advice on cleaning wounds? We have no idea how it happened either. 

Edited by Caitlin888

it'd be best to take him to your vet tomorrow morning, it looks as though it needs a couple of stitches and a course of antibiotics would also be the go.

Let us know how he is going after you come back from your vet visit.

Poor little takka...it looks very ouchy

• Like 2

Where has the dog been to be injured like this? To me it looks old but I am no expert. Definitely needs to go to the vet tomorrow. In the meantime I would be cutting the hair away and cleaning it and try to stop the licking. Do you have a cone he could wear? Sorry I am not much help. I don't put anything on dog wounds because they only lick them off as soon as they can.

• Like 1

I am quite certain it happened last night because he spent a lot of time wondering around the back yard but I have no idea what would have caused the cut. Thanks for the advice will take him to the vet tomorrow and try and clean it up a bit tonight. 

For future reference:

If you have clippers maybe shave the area, and flush/rinse with saline (just dissolve a fair bit of table salt in warm water) to clean out any gunk and hair and excess blood. 

Then you can get a good look at the wound and see what needs to happen. :) 

Poor pup, looks pretty sore! 

Hope all went well at the vets today! :) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 2

Hi everyone thank you all for asking how he's going. We took him to the vet this morning and it was a ruptured abscess so the vet drained it and has given him antibiotics and some pain relief and a cone to stop him licking it. We are taking him back on Monday for a check up so hopefully it will close naturally otherwise it will require stitches. 

• Like 7