Owner not happy

asal

LOL the breed ID tests tend only to be accurate for the top 20 or so most popular breeds in the US. For a lesser known breed like the soft coated wheaten ridiculous results like this are not surprising.

DNA by parentage or DNA markers for particular conditions are one thing, but the breed identification DNA tests are just a joke!

• 4 weeks later...

And this is a perfect example of why I told my friends who've bought a German Shephered  mix (just because it has similar ears and a black face) why DNA testing is stupid and doesn't work.

i keep saying the dog is crossed with a fox and a dingo. :laugh:

and who cares what she is, she's just cute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poochmad said:

And this is a perfect example of why I told my friends who've bought a German Shephered  mix (just because it has similar ears and a black face) why DNA testing is stupid and doesn't work.

i keep saying the dog is crossed with a fox and a dingo. :laugh:

and who cares what she is, she's just cute.

I'd say commercial DNA testing is the problem.  Thoughtful analysis might give useful insight.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:28 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

DNA test.

This stuff bothers me a lot, in the same way it bothers me that some company had the gall to name a not-especially-good dog food 'Science'.  This is one badly executed commercial use of some tiny portion of the genome.  The error rate is high.  Sucks that it can be called a DNA test.

Your DNA tests depends a lot on the quality of the company database. Dnamydog has a very small database and makes some dubious claims about discovering the dogs personality. One of the DNA tests you should  slot under “for a laugh” versus those for “serious research”. 

Wisdom panel/ advance pet DNA test are another for a laugh with very small databases where you might get the breed groups your dog belongs to but any accuracy is limited because the databases (of DNA your dog gets compared to) are so small and out of date. And they lie about giving you the raw data if you ask for it! :(

Doesnt mean there aren’t good DNA tests out there that are continually updating and adding new breeds. Just that lots of gimmick ones to wade through to find them. I like embark best *because* they continue to update your results as the data is advanced, so if there is not enough data to identify a breed one day then the next year might be different story! (+ all the disease tests which are much more valuable I think. )

dont take one gimmicky dna test test to be a representive of all.