What Not To Do - dogs off-leash , ABC news story

persephone

Not a bad article , really . 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/what-not-to-do-when-dog-is-off-leash/9061746

excerpt :

Imagine bringing your dog to the local park and letting them off the leash when they spot another dog, or even a child, and run over for a sniff.

You pet's tail is wagging, and it looks like they're having fun.

"It's OK, my dog is friendly," you say.

That may very well be true, but what do you know about this other dog, or child, or how they may react when approached by a strange dog off-leash.

One mother wants dog owners to take more responsibility after she said two large, off-leash dogs came up to a group of children at a birthday party on the Sunshine Coast on Tuesday.

Off-leash rules

• Make sure your dog is under your control (for example, your dog will return to you when called)
  • It's not a nuisance to other dogs and their owners
  • Its droppings are disposed of in the bins provided
  • It's registered with council, wormed regularly, and its vaccinations are up to date
Source: Brisbane City Council

"They [dog owners] had no control over their dogs," the woman, who asked not to be named, said.

"When we asked them to keep their 'uncontrollable' dogs away from the children playing on the play equipment and the baby on the rug, we were met with swearing, rudeness, and rude gestures.

"What a lack of courtesy and lack of respect for local laws that also govern dog parks.

• Like 4

This was a quote from the article, well worth being spread more widely.

"Really even if your dog is on-leash you shouldn't approach another dog either with your dog or on your own without asking permission of the person in control of the dog.

In Tassie, dogs are not permitted within a specified distance (10 m I think) of a children's playground.   Not that everyone follows that prescription either. :(

• Like 4

So so so true!! 

As an owner of a dog who is overwhelmed by new dogs, and as someone who was terrified of dogs as a child I really appreciate this article. 

That party situation described is the perfect way to make a kid scared of dogs. The big ‘scary’ excited dogs running up and boofing kids over, upset/nervous/cranky parents, and then retaliation by rude and aggressive idiotic owners. All of these things could send a dog-weary kid to the point of being terrified of them for years. 

As a 2yo I was chased around the yard by my neighbour’s happy sweet but hyper kelpie. This traumatised me and I was scared of dogs until I was 9. 

Now as I’m much older and a mad dog lover, I feel sad for the sweet child-friendly dogs that had to be locked away when I visited friends/family. Simply because I got a fright at an impressionable age, by no fault of the dog. 

The kids in the article are just having a party with their friends on the play equipment, dogs should be well away. 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 12:25 PM, persephone said:

Agreed. 

It's all so very sad :( 
Im a previous life , Mitchell & I used to regularly visit the local playgrounds - he enjoyed slides & tunnels ... 

I’m a bit torn.

If there are no kids at our local playground and I walk by with the  dogs we’ve occasionally taken them on the equipment for a play haha. (Onleash) 

But at the same time as someone who was frightened of dogs as a child, I’m hesitant to do so because it could make some children really scared. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Check your shire bylaws - in many council areas dogs are simply not permitted in children's play areas and/or schools, on or off leash.
For the rest of it, don't let your dogs be nuisances to others - you surely don't want other people's pets or children being nuisances to you. Common sense says do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Only irresponsible pet owners allow their pets to be nuisances and then abuse any poor victims who object! Very poor form indeed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

I’m a bit torn.

If there are no kids at our local playground and I walk by with the  dogs we’ll take them on the equipment for a play haha. (Onleash) 

But at the same time as someone who was frightened of dogs as a child, I’m hesitant to do so because it could make some children really scared. 

Gosh, I 'm talking 30 yrs ago ... before laws went crazy ;) 

• Like 2

Up here all childrens play areas are fenced really well so dogs and weirdo's cant get in.

They have to up here because there are so many roaming dogs, so bad that I have had to stop walking my two.

Every where we went there was a dog out on the road.

• Like 1

Nowdays, living bush , I don't need to worry, thankfully . 
When I am in THE CITY , & go out with my friend's dog , I am always on edge , just waiting for some -thing :( 
Luckily , the parks nearby are populated by regulars - mostly lovely dogs & owners , & they all pretty much know each other . It did make me smile ... my friend moved house ..I took the dog  to a park ..and people were asking HER who she had with her LOL .The terrific kids' area is well fenced - there are also BBQ's  , so something for everyone .