Reducing plastic in relation to dogs?

Two Best Dogs!

We just got a whole bunch of Eco friendly oh Crap poop bags but it brings to mind other things I try to change. 

We we only partially raw feed yet still SO MUCH PLASTIC. 

For freezing portions I am using some Tupperware but when I buy the meat it comes in so much plastic! I'm not sure how to reduce that while keeping everything hygienic?

i know I can recycle some plastics at redcycle but how to reduce buying it in the first place?

• Like 1

I've just discovered a new idea the past couple of days. You can make containers from old plastic juice and milk containers. I don't buy any myself so I'm going to ask my local coffee shop for some. I have seen ones with snap closures and some with glue on velcro but I have some flat timber beads and left over hemp cord so I'm going to punch holes and make toggle closures for mine. I haven't posted about it in my OT thread because I haven't done it yet! But here is a link to a tute and to a taller image idea that wouldn't be hard to work out.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.curbly.com%2F11213-how-to-turn-a-milk-jug-into-a-sandwich-box&h=ATPsYgUGwDpx1WCuuS8FG3fKkCsDLmsoV9fXh33VT67uK-xbNHTPYDi99UixtjadHSKeVTycW6nN2zWMLK75WYI0ImX_z7bF6NwTyCMIk8Dxa6GJ28CHli_M5z8zBJq8aLqXint6A8fE

27655529_10157791254942524_8587065833275535923_n.jpg

• Like 1

Plastic freezer bags can be washed after use and re-used, just as you would wash and re-use Tupperware containers. Ice cream containers make excellent freezer ware for larger portions of raw food.

Buying meat in large quantities in the first place, if you have the freezer space, minimises the plastic that they come in. Unfortunately, the food hygiene laws in some states mean that most butchers are wrapping even individual bones in plastic wrap before offering them for sale - rather than the old paper wrappings. :(

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Little Gifts said:

....old plastic juice and milk containers.  .... going to ask my local coffee shop for some. ....

When I looked at the link I thought goodo, because OH takes a cut-lunch to work daily.  Gluten free bread is stupid-small so the sammos fit in normal cheap disposable takeaway containers which I recycle endlessly.  Anyhoo, a sandwich will not fit in the bottom of a 1 or 2-litre milk container.  Then I read the instructions which are American and they all talk about one-gallon milk containers.  That's about four litres: so a larger plastic container than our milk comes in.  Bummer.  Back to the takeaways.

On the up-side, I pick up the left-over fruit pulp from a shopping centre BoostJuice stand.  The daily 'take' is one plastic shopping bag full of goodness - from every known fruit and veg that Boost juices.  That's for the chooks and geese, mixed with their milled grain, great fresh feed.  The Boost staff put my load into a ten-litre white square tub container with good lid that their frozen yoghurt is supplied in.  Stronger quality than ice-cream containers.    They can't be re-used commercially, just as plastic milk bottles cannot.  They scrub up beautifully to store rice, pasta, all that needs to be mouse-proof and moth-proof.  Plus for dog food, fridge or freezer containers, waste-paper baskets etc.   This size costs around $10 to buy as a food storage container, Décor and all those brands (let alone Tupper, un-affordable these days).

So doing my bit with both food wastage and plastic container wastage.  Some of the recycling project ideas are just too twee to take the time to fiddle with, but I do like the little boxes from milk containers.

• Like 1

Possum there are places that get 4 litre juice bottles. I'm thinking of trying Maccas and the type of places that have juice in those machines (maybe Donut King?). I went to 2 food places yesterday and they were so excited to give me their bottles!  I even got a 3 litre caramel sauce container and I made that into a watering can for my sister's herbs. I made 2 storage containers and they were so easy! I can even imagine storing my fruit in them in the fridge as everything always gets knocked around in the bottom of our fridge. I took photos of my creations on my phone so will get them on the computer and add them to my OT thread.