Why its so hard to buy a Golden Retriever Puppy?

Lumi

I’ve been looking for a Golden Retriever puppy for at least 3 months.  All puppies are either spoken for or waiting list is full or no interstate applications.   I refresh the website everyday but no puppies I could buy.  

You're likely gong to have to wait for a good puppy.   Have a look at the Golden Retriever breeders page on here . pull down the Dogzonline Pages tab up the top tp gp tp the breeders' page.   Just having a quick look at Queensland was interesting .. but I notice there is one breeder with some nice looking dogs, who  is planning a litter in mid 2018.

The Golden Retriever Clubs in the different states usually have some suggestions or puppy listings.

It helps if you can be specific when trying to contact breeders .. so to help you do that, make a list in advance  ... things like ..... what would your plans be for  the puppy .. e.g. show, performance, pet or all of the above.  It's often good to be able to say briefly what makes you choose the breed, and your experience with them, as well as your home/family/work circumstances, and  whether you have a mentor in the breed.

Often breeders will have a detailed questionnaire for prospective puppy buyers to fill in.

You should also be researching what genetic health concerns are in the breed, and whether there are tests available to help limit the likelihood of those problems arising..... e.g. hip X Rays, Elbow X rays (family histories are also useful information there), mature eye tests on the parents (e.g. for star cataract).  Then you would expect the breeder to supply you with the results for the parents.

Hope that helps a bit.     (My second favourite breed .. had an aunt and uncle who bred some beautiful GRs many years ago.)

3 months is nothing ,it takes 4 months from start to finish of producing a litter .you don’t just decide tomorrow and expect to get a puppy .now .

Talk with some breeders whose dogs you like,who health tests and will offer you the support you will need .

A wait is nothing compared to making sure the right pup is chosen for the next 12 yrs of commitment 

• Like 4

Goldies are not that common anymore.

I would start by looking at breeders dogs you like, see what health tests should be done on the breed, then contact the breeders whose dogs you like the look of and ask if they have any future litters planned?

Alot never make the for sale page as they get sold like this, people asking before and going on the list.

I waited 4 years for my Fauve!

You need to read up about Golden's, maybe go to a show or the specialty Golden show in your state. Meet people who breed, intro yourself and talk to them about their dogs.

As its been said above because there arnt many bred you will have to wait.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13 February 2018 at 8:19 AM, jemappelle said:

So you mean the one on this site?  As there are puppies listed here:  https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/golden-retriever.asp

Also Facebook pages seem to be the way to go.  I'm on a Cavalier group and there are puppies every week listed.

Hi. What cav page are you on? I've just begun looking for a pup. 

Edited by Bushriver

• 2 months later...

Hi, I breed goldens. I am in NSW. Our puppy referral officer gets approx 30-40 enquiries every month. Puppies usually are spoken for before they are born. There are not a lot of breeders in Qld, and you will have to wait for a puppy from a reputable breeder. I get enquires every day and the only place I advertise is on the NSW GR Club website. I have now decided not to send puppies interstate, firstly because there are plenty of good homes in NSW waiting for a puppy, and secondly, because I really would like to meet the owners of my new puppies. Be careful with facebook groups, there is a huge one with backyard breeders selling puppies, the admins have kicked a lot of us breeders off the group! There is one I would recommend you join someone may be able to help you find a puppy, however the group doesn't really allow for advertisements, and, to be honest, most of us don't need to. There are a number of breeders that I can tell you to stay away from and they normally have puppies available, but I can't name them in a public forum. Golden Retriever facebook group

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gotta love the classic 'You can't have one of our pups because you don't deserve it", and in the same breath "stay away from Breeder X because they breed too much".

Most people who decide they want a puppy, will get one.  What we SHOULD be doing is trying to ensure that ALL those puppies are healthy, sound, and temperamentally suited.
Not shrinking further into arrogant little cliques and forcing more people into buying from puppy mills.

Newsflash:  Being rude, arrogant, condescending, and hostile does not make you a breed-expert, nor a "responsible breeder", it just means you're an ass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 years later...
On 02/09/2018 at 7:49 PM, Big D said:

Gotta love the classic 'You can't have one of our pups because you don't deserve it", and in the same breath "stay away from Breeder X because they breed too much".

Most people who decide they want a puppy, will get one.  What we SHOULD be doing is trying to ensure that ALL those puppies are healthy, sound, and temperamentally suited.
Not shrinking further into arrogant little cliques and forcing more people into buying from puppy mills.

Newsflash:  Being rude, arrogant, condescending, and hostile does not make you a breed-expert, nor a "responsible breeder", it just means you're an ass.

This is my experience and ten+ I’ve spoken to, with Papillon breeders. 

Edited by iwanttodie3070