French Bulldog Aggression

Marniethefrenchie

We adopted a French Bulldog about 8 months ago who is almost 2 years old. Apart from some health problems she has had she has been the sweetest dog in the world. She has always gotten along with our other dog as well and they seem to love playing with each other.

All off a sudden over this past week she has become quite aggressive towards out other dog. It's awful and I don't know where it has come from. It actually scares me how aggressive she is to him. He is only small so she could really hurt him. He has been cowering away from her too as though he is frightened.

Should I be concerned that there is something else health wise going on with her? Or is this normal Frenchie behaviour?

What can I do to stop this behaviour? We have small children too so I don't want her being aggressive towards them.

Edited by Marniethefrenchie
Typo

Hi :) 

Can you give us a bit more info ?

What breed is your other dog ?
how old?
desexed?

Is the Frenchie desexed?
if not, when was she in season last ?
What health problems has she - and if she is on medication , what is she on ? 

Do you know why she was up for adoption ? 

Are they both OK when out walking together /at obedience /at the park ? 

Hopefully we can help you all :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes. all the questions above plus have you worked out what the trigger is?
Is it when food is involved? A favourite toy or bed? Is it when your other small dog is getting attention from you or heading for you or another member of the household for attention?

• Like 4

Our other dog is 3, he's a Moodle and yep he is desexed. They are both desexed.

We got her off someone who initially got her for breeding but because she had some health issues she was not suitable for breeding. Quite sad really. 

She had to have a procedure in her tummy because she couldn't keep food down and it would just came back up all the time. Pyloric overflow disease I think it is called. She also had trouble breathing so she had a procedure in her throat for that. We had her desexed at the same time.

That was when we first got her and she has been healthy and happy since.

She is very well behaved..sometimes she will get her back up at other dogs when out walking though.

She is very attached to me so I thought that might be why she is being aggressive. She follows me everywhere and I noticed last night she went for our other dog when he came towards me. 

She has also been aggressive with him when food is involved. I always feed them separately so she can't eat his as well.

Take her to the vet today to have that blood in her droppings assessed.

Frenchies are not an aggressive breed if bred and reared properly, I think that she could be a bit possessive of you and that could be the cause of her aggression toward your other dogs if they are getting attention which to me is also very unusual for the breed.

• Like 1

Go for a vet check first, but the fact she is getting dodgy with other dogs out and about too suggests to me she is flexing her muscles and she needs reining in.

Read NILF.  People often go soft on dogs they rescue because they feel sorry for them, don't, instill some boundries and start being a strong leader with her. And don't put the other dog in harms way, seperate them if need be.

You may need expert help with this to see exactly whats going on.

• Like 1

Ok thank you..I will take her to the vet. Do you think the vet would be able to give me some advice on how to show her I'm the boss or help with her possessiveness? 

Like I said it is really out of character because she has always been so gentle. But maybe she is become too protective.

57 minutes ago, Marniethefrenchie said:

Ok thank you..I will take her to the vet. Do you think the vet would be able to give me some advice on how to show her I'm the boss or help with her possessiveness? 

Like I said it is really out of character because she has always been so gentle. But maybe she is become too protective.

Vets are terrific at the medical side of things ..but NOT training/psychological stuff :) They have SO many species' bodies and illnesses to learn - they can't possibly fit the rest in as well ;) 

When you get the 'all clear' health wise - get back to us , and , if we can't help, someone WILL recommend a person for you to contact :) 

Pain can , as with us , make dogs  a bit 'niggly' .
she may also be resource guarding ..and You are the resource .
NILIF was mentioned . It is a great concept ..and esp with dogs who have a sense of entitlement  :)

click HERE

Hope all goes well at the vets - take a poo sample with you if possible . 

• Like 2

If the vet tries to give you advice on behaviour , ignore it. You wouldn’t go to the dentist if you had a cold , think of it that way . Behavoir is a complex thing that needs an expert .

it could be it’s taken a while for her to find her mojo after being so sick and now she is pushing the boundaries .

Edited by juice
  • Like 4