Rose hip Vital..latest opinions

sheena

My girl has been on Rose Hip Vital now for 7 years just as a preventative.  Yesterday she was diagnosed with arthritis in both hips & knees.  I am beginning to think I have wasted my money along with 7 years where I could have been using something else.  She is now on those "For Life" pills that make her feel like a puppy again, but her exercise has to be reduced :(

Rose hip vital is high dose vitamin C. It will not prevent arthritis, but it can mitigate it.

I suggest finding a rehabilitation professional now to set up a proactive therapeutic exercise program. I advocate modification of exercise rather than exercise reduction. 

4 hours ago, Jumabaar said:

Rose hip vital is high dose vitamin C. It will not prevent arthritis, but it can mitigate it.

I recently adopted a little Pomeranian of nearly 15 from a pound.  As he was limping quite badly (left front leg) and often just holding it up, I asked my vet to take a look at it.  She said there is thickening evidence of arthritis and he is on a series of four Zydax injections.  He is on daily Meloxicam and Tramadol if limping is bad.  He has had two Zydaz injections and with those and the other two medications, he doesn’t seem to have improved in the slightest.  

I will be talking to my vet again tomorrow when she is back on duty, but in the meantime, I wondered about your comment.  

Many thanks.  

No product guarantees no arthritis ,gawd if it did every man and animal would be taking it and no one would have it ,products are used to assist .

I don’t use any of the stuff because I prefer using Bowen massage and core strength activities to ensure as the dog ages it’s body is ready to adapt with the lest issues 

• Like 1

Pet health is full of cons.  I think it's more productive to try to avoid arthritis by looking for lines that are healthy in old age, and have been tested for hip/elbow problems for a few generations.  It's worth paying a bit more for a pup who is likely to avoid this problem.  Sorry, this doesn't help much with your present problem.  I'd say, talk to your vet to work out what is best.

On 17/02/2018 at 11:30 AM, Rebanne said:

I confess to never giving anything unless it is needed but, maybe your girl would have been much worse if you hadn't have been giving her the rosehip? How old is she now?

She is 10, always been the ideal weight & active.  yes maybe she might have been worse if I hadn't given it too her, but It has got me wondering if maybe I would have been better spending my money on something better. 

56 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

Pet health is full of cons.  I think it's more productive to try to avoid arthritis by looking for lines that are healthy in old age, and have been tested for hip/elbow problems for a few generations.  It's worth paying a bit more for a pup who is likely to avoid this problem.  Sorry, this doesn't help much with your present problem.  I'd say, talk to your vet to work out what is best.

Her parents were hip scored..the Vet explained that this does not necessarily help only with generational breeding.  She leads a very active life with lots of swimming, has her Masters Agility titles & lots of free running around the farm.  She loves to chase & spin though & maybe this has been her undoing.  To look at her you wouldn't notice, just that she is very hesitant to jump into the car & has lost interest in agility so she is retired from agility.

FWIW, my almost 9.5 year old boy (obedience, rally, agility, used to be tracking) has always been on some form of preventative .. was Joint Guard, then Blackmores Osteocare chews (thanks @Jumabaar and has also had RHCV for probably 4 or 5 years.   He also does some core work and other conditioning work (probably not as often as he should.)  He was Xrayed - knees and hips - last year when we thought he had cruciate damage, but apparently didn't  (knees were 'beautiful' and hips - 7 years on from original scoring xrays . same vet also fine .. no significant signs of arthritic change. )   He's also had regular 'mechanical maintenance' from our holistic vet, who uses a variety of modalities.      So hard to know So what contribution if any the RHCV might be making.   My old girl - retired from competitive agility just before her 13th birthday . much to her disgust.. had also been on RHCV for the same tiem .. and JOint Guard before that, as well as maintenance from our holistic vet.   She showed no particular signs of arthritis right up to her death at 15.25.

So I really have no idea what contribution the RHCV might have been making .. but it does seem that it's doing some good and certainly not doing harm.   (Incidentally, I've rarely paid full price .. they're really good about their competitions and offers like 2 for 1.

I signed up to Dr Chris Zink’s newsletter (website is For Active Dogs). The March newsletter which I received today has a summary of ‘recommended supplements for active dogs (and their evidence)’. Unfortunately can’t link to it as there’s no online version, but if you sign up (it’s free) I imagine you’ll receive it. 

Edited by Papillon Kisses