Dramatic arrest in floodwaters leads to rescue of puppy dogs from stranded car

Boronia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-23/dogs-rescued-after-dramatic-arrest-in-floodwaters-qld/9475754

Dramatic arrest in floodwaters leads to rescue of puppy dogs from stranded car

Updated about an hour ago

A group of Queensland police officers have been hailed as heroes, after rescuing two puppies from a car stuck in floodwaters after a dramatic arrest.

Police said they were called to the flooded Archer River crossing, north of Coen on the Cape York Peninsula, on Monday after a man drove a car into the swollen river.

It is alleged the 31-year-old from man from Cairns swam to the river bank, where he was confronted by officers who attempted to place him under arrest for property offences in both Weipa and Coen.

Officers said he then ran back into the river, closely pursued by two officers swimming after him.

He was eventually apprehended and is now facing charges including unlicensed and unregistered driving, driving without due care and attention, and theft.

Coen pub owner Barry Mulley said it was one of the most extraordinary rescues he has heard of in the area.

He said the man had run out of petrol and walked 10 kilometres into Coen, where he stole petrol from a house in the early hours of the morning.

"He's walked back to his car, jumped in and started his car, driven his car to Archer … it was 1.3 metres deep at the time he tried to enter in a petrol car," Mr Mulley said.

While the alleged offender was being apprehended, a third police officer was left to rescue two five-week-old puppies that had been left on the bonnet of the car.

"The other cop, he had to get wet too and he had to rescue these two puppies off the roof," Mr Mulley said.

"They were gorgeous, they were brand new, the police bathed them all and kept them fed."

It is unknown whether the dogs belonged to the charged man.

He will appear in Cairns Magistrates Court on March 12.

I hope there weren’t more IN the car :( .  I wonder if he stole them when he stole the petrol?  When I read things like this, I always wonder how the human race survived this long: I guess it is because there are still enough people like the rescuers of the puppies to mitigate against the stupidity of the apprehended guy.  Not for much longer though.  The only reason I don’t want to die is because I want to see what the world is like in 100 years’ time :eek:  :eek: