6 month old amstaff food amount

Mildred

Hi can anyone tell me how much food i should give my amstaff puppy she is 6 months old and i have been giving her the amount i was giving my American bulldog at 6 months as the food guide didn't seem much at 400 or so grams per daycan someone help me as im giving her 1.6 kg of food 

What food are you feeding that it amounts to 1.6 kg per day? That is a huge amount of food. I had a 21 kg staffy, full muscle, low body fat and he would get 1 cup per day of kibble and fresh mince (50-100grams) and a marrow bone a couple of times a week.

To judge how much to feed - when you look down on your dog it should have a visible waist between it's hips and ribs. No waist, or just a tiny tuck, means it's fat. Don't fall for the fat = muscle trap that a lot of chunky dog owners seem to do.

This is a waist. He's a solid little dog, but at this weight you can easily feel ribs.

WP_20171005_002-1235x697.jpg

Edited by karen15

I agree about needing to know what you are feeding her.
Adolescent pups eat more than adults as a rule but that seems an excessive amount unless the food is really low grade, in which case most of it will be wasted just going straight through her system as coming out as poo.
Different qualities of food need different amounts fed

Is she being wormed every three months? Worms can eat a lot of food that is meant for your dog!

It might be a bit of a long shot, but many staffys and amstaffs can be allergic to grains - have you tried feeding her a grain free kibble?

• 5 months later...

At the moment i have to give her the same amountas my 4yo American bulldog and he eats from 1.7kg to 3 kg a day he would eat more if i let him lol. But mildred eats the same and i can see her ribs and she is now 10 months old i feed them both dry food she loves it but he hates it but will eat it. Should i change to wet food or raw food i have given her raw liver and chicken necks anc i have been cooking rfice pasta and vegetables with mince and she gets upto 2 kgs of that she also has a s kin allergy could the 2 be the related

1530496439845.jpg

Hi Mildred ..are you able to post up a photo of a meal  you give the dogs, or a 'recipe' ? LOL how much dry ( and which brand ) , how much rice/pasta /veg/meat  ? 
That may help . 

:) 
Also - how much poo are you seeing/picking up  ?  Which picture matches it closest ? 

image.thumb.jpeg.501c19b820977a624ef746436386d6a8.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a cool poo chart pers. Do you have the link to the site where it's from?

We all know something isn't adding up here. Those weights of food are crazy huge.. so either the food is passing straight through, dogs are full of worms, or they aren't being fed as much as we're being lead to believe.

I've never really weighed out the dog food. I just scoop a cup here and there and work off averages and adjust as required depending on how the animal looks.

Just crunched some numbers, and the last 20kg bag of food we bought will have lasted around 3 months, on an active 22kg dog. That's around 1.6kg per WEEK or 230g per day.