resource guarding help

quangle

Our pup (kelpie collie cross) is just on 6 months old and has suddenly started to growl and snap at us over food and toys.  She has always been edgy around her food from day 1.  We have a slow feeder bowl, because otherwise she inhales her kibble in seconds, and while she is eating I will walk up and drop a choice item (usually some sort of fresh meat) in her bowl.  This has stopped her growling or snapping when someone approaches her, but her body language when eating remains pretty tense.

She knows 'leave it' and 'drop it' and has become quite good at letting go of things she knows she shouldn't have (eg. socks) but the last couple of days out of the blue she has growled a couple of times at the kids when they have walked passed her when she was just lying on her mat with no food or toy.  Tonight she had a kong and my son walked past and she growled at him even though he was a good few feet away and was showing no indication of coming nearer to her.  Then later on she had picked up a bit of string or something similar and I approached her to take it off her and she snapped at me.  

I have done some googling and it seems that this is a pretty normal behaviour, but nonetheless it concerns me that she is suddenly starting to do this and I don't want it to escalate.  The kids are already feeling a bit nervous about it.  She was desexed last and the guarding behaviour has started since then.  It seems rather far fetched but  is there any possibility this has something to do with it?  And regardless of how it began, how best should I start to deal with it?

Help please

I’d suggest that with children involved you would be best getting some professional help, someone who can work with you and give you specific strategies. If you post where you are you will get good recommendations on who to call,  better than just picking at random. In the interim I would suggest feeding her in a crate or separate area well away from the children.

As for desexing, there have been some studies showing it can increase aggression in females. But that might mean it made the behaviour worse, rather than being a cause of it. 

• Like 3

Agree, kids involved get help. Its not normal, and it will escalate as it already has.

she has probably just taken her time to settle in and now feels its time to flex her muscles.

Start to read NILF , and find a good trainer.

• Like 2

Good for you for getting onto this quickly.   Agree with the others .. definitely one where a good  "eyes on the behaviour" trainer will be beneficial.   I just checked a reputable trainer's directory and could only find one in your general area.  I have no personal knowledge of this trainer so I can't really make a recommendation, but there is 'proper' training there, not just a franchise, so might be worth making contact.   qualified dog trainer working in Tweed Shire

In the meantime, I would be investing in management .. a large exercise pen that puppy can't get out of, but would keep puppy and kids safe.   I would also be getting a largish wire crate, which you could put in the ex pen and use it for puppy meals, and for safety.   (If you do a search for crate training you should get some ideas on how to start ... but the basic principle is that the best treats come in the crate .. things like chicken wings .. really special stuff.

As far as getting things from the puppy in the meantime, obviously as you're doing, that's an adult only thing.   If you use super high value preferably chewable) treats, you can throw a couple off to the side of where the forbidden object is, and keep throwing them to the dog while you safely retrieve the 'treasure.   I'd be playing this one when pup has something safe too ... throw treats, pick up object when safe, throw more treats, then put object back.   Point of this is that the pup learns that you taking something  is not always the end of the world.   It's worth working on this, in case you need to get something that could be dangerous to the pup .. like string.   If pup has a history of getting treats thrown for her, she may become less antsy .. but that's a may.  My cue for this game with my Border Collie youngster is "swap"