After info on diabetes - just very curious

Kazm

I’m just after any information and ideas on dog diabetes. A friends schnauzer, he is 6, was diagnosed with diabetes at the end of last year. This gorgeous boy has always been overweight. Just like most schnauzers he loves his food and in his 6 years he has grown up with two little boys that when they were toddlers he would pinch their snacks. :scold: His weight obviously got worse and they presume the diabetes sprung from there. Obviously he is under the close eye of a vet while getting his condition under control although they have just changed vets as they weren’t very happy. Not sure why.

I haven’t seen him since before diagnosis but she bought him to me today for grooming and now I am very worried. He is extremely underweight. And I mean almost a skeleton on 4 legs . It was the hardest job ever to groom him. I am so saddened by his condition. He has always been a good looking boy with beautiful fur albeit a bit chubby but now his fur is dull and feels awful. He really does look dreadful.  He is having 2 insulin injections a day and is eating very well but just isn’t putting the weight on. He does seem his usual happy self but ......... 

I guess I just want to know if anybody has dealt with this kind of situation before and if there is anything she can do to make him start getting back into condition. 

We have boarded and groom a lot of diabetic dogs and all kept good weight except 1 Mini who also had to deal with other health issues at the same time .

Her other issues made her diet insanely frustrating .

I would say there feeding the tin and most don’t feed enough .

Or they are so panicked over the diet and dogs illness they have gone extreme .

Definitely worth asking if his thyroid has been checked give the endocrine system is already stressed with the diabetes. 

Maybe they've just gone too far the other way in feeding but the vet should've picked up on it? My mini schnauzer has never been good motivated fwiw (unless it's cat food!)

Thankyou to both of you. Although he has had lots of tests her big worry is that maybe there are other issues. And I will check with her to see if his thyroid has been checked also. I am not sure the quantity of food she is feeding him but he gets fresh meat and vet suggested dry. Obviously biscuits for diabetes.  She would like to know if she could give him more than what is recommended or would that mess with his insulin dosage. She can’t seem to get two answers the same. Everything she reads or has been told is conflicting. I am actually going to talk to my vet. At least I have known him for quite a few years where as she has had to find a new vet as they have moved recently.

18 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Did you read the pinned post on diabetes?  Sorry if the question is intrusive.  I'm just frustrated with wading through all the pinned posts on this site to get to the recent posts.

No, I haven’t read it but will Thankyou.

12 hours ago, SchnauzerMax said:

The more carbohydrate you feed, the more insulin you will need. 

High blood sugar is dangerous, really low blood sugar is just as dangerous.

Thanks too.

I spoke with my vet yesterday. We value his opinion and have known him for years where as my friend has only used her vet once as they have moved. And she hasn’t been overly helpful. My friend is at a loss as what to do for her boy. My vet has suggested trying to feed him more and keep using the vet dry food but also trying kangaroo meat. Lean but high in protein. He has said if he keeps it down he should improve but if he doesn’t eat it or vomits or gets diarrhoea there could be some other health issue. I am trying to help her as much as I can as this beautiful boy deserves a much better life. And she loves him so much. It is her very first dog so she has never been down this road before and up until now he has been a healthy fellow.  Fingers crossed now.