Trouble is only 12... inoperable tumour... grrr!

tdierikx

On Wednesday, I took Trouble (Lab) to the vet to have a looky at what I thought was an enlarged mandibular lymph node...

... and we found that it wasn't the lymph node, but an inoperable malignant tumour of the tongue/larynx.

She's on a course of antibiotics and Meloxicam to reduce possibilty of infection if she accidentally nicks it while eating, and to reduce any inflammation it may be causing... but we are actually just on a watch and wait, and reassess at regular intervals ride now.

No predictions of how long before the tumour grows enough to have to make any final decisions, but as I only noticed the swelling about a week or so ago, it probably won't be very long... maybe weeks?

She's her normal happy and crazy self still... eating and swallowing just fine... and the vet was very impressed with her overall health considering that she's 12 - and should be slowing down (hear that Trouble?)

This is the hardest part about living with our furry companions, isn't it? And just not fair... grrr!

T.

• Sad 9

Not fair at all.  The only good thing is that dogs don't know what is happening, and all we can do is make their remaining time as good as can be, but you've been there and done that.  Give her many cuddles (and take many photos.)

• Like 4

Guest crazydoglady99

She's  so beautiful T, give her a big smooch for me.

Sorry about her awful diagnosis :cry:

Thank you so much everyone... it's so comforting to know that there are other people out there who understand how hard it can be when we know our loyal friends are not well.

Trubs had an outing to her Auntie's (human) place yesterday, and I swear she ate almost her own weight in treats... still wanted dinner last night too... lol! Pickles was a bit jealous when we got home - could probably smell the Schmackos on Trubs' breath... but I'd saved some for her and Harper, so all was forgiven... hehe!

T.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1