Trouble is only 12... inoperable tumour... grrr!

tdierikx

That's really the only upside (if you can call it that) to this sort of sad situation  ... that we can spoil them rotten.     The only other comfort I can find, and I think it's already been mentioned, is that the dogs don't know what we know ... they're living for the moment (and the Schmackos  :).)

Is Meloxicam an appetite stimulant as well, I wonder?

Although Jeune is far removed from a Labrador :laugh:  :laugh: I think she must be channeling Trouble.  She is on a daily dose of Meloxicam as well and although she still carries on as though I’ve given her a bowl of poison, once she starts eating (can take up to 15-20 minutes of staring at the food and prowling around) she eats well.  AND!!  She has also been wanting a meal late at night which, of course, I give her because she did lose quite a bit of weight a couple of months ago, anything she wants she gets :heart:  :heart: 

Edited because I am an eejit :o :o   Jeune is on Piroxicam, but the question still remains - I wonder whether it has some appetite stimulant in it.  

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 3

As far as I know, Meloxicam is not an apetite stimulant - being non-steroidal - but reduction of inflammatory (pain) symptoms may have that effect, do you think? Steroidal anti-inflams definitely increase appetite and water consumption... Prednisolone and the like...

Trouble has always had a great appetite... as a pup, it was always an adventure doing poo patrol and finding the strange things she'd decided to eat/swallow.

I'm an evil mummy... Trubs is actually 4kgs heavier than I'd like her to be for her frame... but in the current circumstance, I won't be putting her on a diet... *grin*

T.

• Like 1

http://www.belindahollyer.com/blog/two-tuesday-dog-poems/

There's a lovely poem by Australian poet, John Tranter, talking to his dog.  He describes all the busy dog business his dog enjoys, just like Trouble.  And all the stuff his dog knows.  .  Except one thing ....I think you'll guess what that is.

I'm so sorry.  Trouble's so beautiful.    But you'll fill Trouble's time with quality, love and the best caring.  Hugs for your both.

Edited by mita
  • Like 1

Thank you mita... truly beautiful... paints a picture of life with a dog.

Trubs and I have no regrets... she's had a full and varied life experience, that's for sure. I'll take her to the farm I work at one day soon, and she'll be able to tick off meeting farm animals from a VERY short list of things she hasn't gotten around to yet... my boss is great about allowing well behaved pets to visit the farm.

If it weren't for the yukky thing growing in her throat, she'd probably have lived to a very ripe old age - the vet was astounded by her overall health and condition. He declared she has the teeth of a 3 year old! (No, she didn't bite him... lol)

T.

• Like 2

One week update...

Trubs is still chomping up chicken carcasses and swallowing fine.

Antibiotics appear to have gotten rid of the bad breath smell from the tongue tumour... still have 2 more days of antibiotics to finish the course.

Throat lump doesn't appear to have gotten larger... or smaller... *sigh*

Vet happy with lack of progress of both lumps, and clearing up of infection on the tongue growth, but we are only controlling symptoms... this will progress, but at what rate we are uncertain at this point.

Trubs is completely oblivious to the worry she's causing everyone who loves her... lol!

T.

• Like 4

Looks like the best that can be, so far.   Great medical work in controlling symptoms.  When it comes to quality of life,  Trubs has 100%.   Best of all she leaves all worries, with much grace,  to her humans.    

• Like 2

Thanks perse, mita, and sje78...

I'm not making too much of a fuss of her... Pickles would get jealous, and she can be a bitch when she thinks one of the other dogs is getting more attention than she thinks they should get... lol!

Speaking of Pickles... she's 7 now! Who would have thought my wobbly legged camp dog would still be going strong still? She and Trubs are best mates, so it's going to be tougher on her when Trubs has to leave methinks...

Harper is oblivious to pretty much everything except her own needs, so she'll be fine (and she's 5 now!)

T.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, tdierikx said:

.... Trubs is still chomping up chicken carcasses and swallowing fine. .....

That's great, the 'eating like a labrador', so still that joy in life -  I'd thought she would have been restricted to soft and boring, yoghurt and very soft pasta etc (ice cream even) - like people after tonsils out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Update: Trubs is still eating like a Labrador, but has started to cough/gag more of late... and she occasionally gets dribbly... otherwise she's her normal self, albeit just a bit more clingy.

T.

Good to hear she's still having more good than bad  :)    :hug:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

That's great, the 'eating like a labrador', so still that joy in life -  I'd thought she would have been restricted to soft and boring, yoghurt and very soft pasta etc (ice cream even) - like people after tonsils out. 

She's a Labrador... lol! It's gotta be REALLY bad before they won't swallow anything...

12 hours ago, persephone said:

Good to hear she's still having more good than bad  :)    :hug:

She's pretty much oblivious to the seriousness of what's happening... thank dog!

T.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We had a checkup this week, and took bloods to see how the rest of her was looking. She's actually gained some weight lately, so thyroid function was top of the list, as the throat lump is in that general area.

Bloods came back as darned near perfect ... she's a really healthy specimen apparently... but needs to go on a bit of a diet... *sigh*

She doesn't get treats or extras... and I'm usually pretty strict about what and how much she's eating... but I may have "compensated" a bit of late due to the shock of what's happening to her...

She's still happy and active... and still totally oblivious to what's happening... so that's good.

The throat lump is now about 1.5 times the size of a golf ball, and the tongue lump is about the size of a 50 cent piece. We are especially watching the tongue one, as if she bites it, it could get infected and/or bleed profusely... neither of which is desirable.

T.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tassie said:

Bitter sweet vet report I Imagine.   But good that she's in great general health .. just not good about the lumps.  And diet ... you have one tough vet :laugh:. .

He's actually really sweet... he hates what's happening almost as much as I do... especially as he can't fix it regardless of all his experience and skills.

And she does need to slim down a few kilos... an extra fat layer around the neck could increase the effect of the lump on the throat... and we want to keep her with us as long as she's comfortable.

T.

• Like 1