Trouble is only 12... inoperable tumour... grrr!

tdierikx

• 1 month later...

Trubs saw her boyfriend (the vet) on Wednesday... and we are approaching the pointy end of our journey. We are now having fortnightly vet visits to check her progress.

Her tumour is bigger than a grapefruit on the left side, and nearly the size of an apple on the right, with a bridge about the width of a finger between the two across her trachea.

The visible tumour on the back of her tongue doesn't seem to be growing much at all.

Some days now are a bit scary with her breathing hard and having difficulty finding a sleeping position that doesn't press on the tumours. She has adjusted her normal resting position to rest her chin on a paw to keep pressure off, but sometimes she insists on trying different positions, and that's when she has issues. She is snoring a lot more, and dribbling lots when she sleeps - at least her good position means she can't inavertently inhale the drool...

The good side is that the tumour isn't affecting her oesophagus, so she can still eat anything and everything just fine... which is the most important thing if you are a Labrador, right?

She is a bit fat, and the vet has told her she needs to lose some weight... errr! So we have to make up some of her feed volume with vegetables... we tried carrots the other night... and the naughty girl refused to eat them... looks like I'm going to have to get more creative... *sigh*

T.

• Sad 1

Guest crazydoglady99

:cry: nooooo trubs :cry:

I wish you lived closer to me T,  I'd make you some special BARF for my fav girl.

Big kisses from us :heart:

T..thinking of you and dear Trouble.. the mere thought of combining a lab and a diet sends shudder through me.   Until Lady Lola Piglet arrived ( a curly coated retriever) I had completely forgotten the incomparable food drive that exists withing the retrievers!!!!  Lady L is now 12yo ( came via rescue ..her family had major health challenges ) yet still manages to gracefully counter surf with complete silence....

love to you both

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@dogbesotted- Trubs learned that counter surfing wasn't appreciated here very early in life... she used to spring from the floor onto the dryer, then onto the kitchen bench and run along it! If it's in her bowl, it's fair game, but everything else is MINE... lol! If I say "Mine" before leaving a room with food in it, she won't touch it... she's actually quite a good girl about that, considering she IS mostly Labrador... lol!

@MadWoofter- we aren't trying too hard with the diet... just taking her back to how much she SHOULD be eating in a day... *grin*... in all honesty, she won't lose too much before it's her time...

T.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

We saw Trubs' boyfriend the vet today... bad news is that we are now into the end straight with this bloody tumour... it has nearly doubled in size in the past 4 weeks.

Vet's advice this visit is... "now you can spoil her rotten if you want to"... so she got a nice warm mango/coconut bread with lashings of butter from the local coffee shop... she loves them so much... lol!

No more diets for Trubs... which she will be very happy about... *grin*

In the past week, she has been gagging more often when lying about, but still has no issues swallowing food. I have noticed that she's chewing her food more before swallowing, so I think she realises that the passage is narrowing some in there. Her colour is mostly good, but is slightly darker than it should be... as her breathing is a bit compromised by the tumour. Overall quality of life is still good for now, so we have the next appointment in 2 weeks time... and if anything changes before then, the vet is immediately available for us.

She's giving me plenty of time to be ready for the inevitable... expecially as we didn't expect her to still be here this far down the track when first diagnosed. I'm good with it all...

T.

• Sad 6

At least she's still pretty oblivious to what's actually going on... small mercies...

As long as she gets her dinner on time, she's a very happy Lab... lol!

We have a really amazing vet... so caring, and a great bedside manner with animals and humans alike. Trubs loves him so much... and she's grabbed his heart too.

Should have seen her carry on when she saw him this morning... and he took another dog in before us... she whinged up a storm... *sigh*... the tremelo whine... lol!

As soon as her name was called, she shot into the consult room and threw herself at his feet for her checkup... hahahaha!

T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, persephone said:

Oh, T ... you are pragmatic & all that , but it's still horrible .. :hug: 

Spoil the girl rotten ...& may that final boyfriend visit  be a  smooth& planned  choice ,& not an emergency  :love:

I'll be more likely to make that final visit before it gets to that stage perse... I'd rather too early than have her suffer in any way... she deserves that much.

At the rate it's grown in the past 4 weeks, we only have 2-4 weeks at most now... and I'll call it well before she loses any dignity.

T.

• Like 6