One-year-old dies after attack by Rottweiler dog

PepitoVFR

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-03/baby-dies-after-familys-rottweiler-dog-attacks-in-north-nsw/9506136

A one-year-old girl has died after she was attacked by a Rottweiler dog in northern New South Wales this afternoon.

All the Rottweiler's I've known have been lovely dogs.

I suspect that regardless of the facts of this case the breed's reputation will cop a hit.

Just like after these years people still seem a little unsure when I tell them my next dog will be another Doberman because of their lovely gentle nature and "velcro" characteristics.

Edited by PepitoVFR
ABC story edited for accuracy
  • Sad 1

Let’s not be so obsessed with love of a breed or any dog that we turn a family’s life changing tragedy into a breed discussion.  Just let’s leave it here as what it is: an immeasurable tragedy that will change so many lives forever and from which the parents will never recover.  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, juice said:

Looks like it wasn’t their dog , Mum walking child in pram and dog jumped fence and attacked .

W.H.A.T.  ???   How on earth do stories like this get so skewed?  As if the community wouldn’t be traumatised enough.  If this tragedy has been misreported, then someone needs more than a big kick up the backside.   

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 1

..This was posted by the girl aunty. ........
This was my niece that died today, and unlike the media is saying..she was actually being walked by her mother in a pram on the way to her granny’s house just one block away. There are no words to describe a scene where a mother is fighting with every ounce of her being to save her baby girl. The dog in question actually cleared a fenced yard (someone else’s dog not our family’s). I really don’t care what the breed of dog it was. Our family have lost our baby girl who never got a chance to live her life 

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, asal said:

..This was posted by the girl aunty. ........
This was my niece that died today, and unlike the media is saying..she was actually being walked by her mother in a pram on the way to her granny’s house just one block away. There are no words to describe a scene where a mother is fighting with every ounce of her being to save her baby girl. The dog in question actually cleared a fenced yard (someone else’s dog not our family’s). I really don’t care what the breed of dog it was. Our family have lost our baby girl who never got a chance to live her life 

Oh no ..... how absolutely heartbreaking and what an impact this will forever have on 'mum' :( rest easy little bub .... you had a rough time getting your wings ..hope they carried you fast &  far.  <3  

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

W.H.A.T.  ???   How on earth do stories like this get so skewed?  As if the community wouldn’t be traumatised enough.  If this tragedy has been misreported, then someone needs more than a big kick up the backside.   

Well now there's been another attack in Melbourne and the media is howlinghttp://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/its-time-to-ban-dangerous-dogs/news-story/f9f662204dac7f9c5eadf1915dc75ca0.

So now the Police say the fatal attack was done by a dog tethered in the backyard.  And the baby went to or was  taken into its reach. No unknown dog jumping a fence. That poor child. 

Edited by Diva
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Diva said:

So now the Police say the fatal attack was done by a dog tethered in the backyard.  And the baby went to or was  taken into its reach. No unknown dog jumping a fence. That poor child. 

It’s just too horrific to even try to imagine what actually happened. That poor little girl, her mother and the ambos.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, Tempus Fugit said:

The death of a child is a terrible, terrible thing but not once in the media coverage have I seen any sensible discussion of what motivated the attack (which sounds like prey drive) or any attempt at educating the general public about those sorts of behaviours. Instead, it gets called aggression, perpetrated by "vicious dogs" or "dangerous breeds".

In a way, the gun analogy is apt- the media works everyone up over the issue until the public finally gets bored arguing with each other (always the "deed not breed" folk against the "waaah, anything that isn't a small/white/fluffy is a monster") and then it's onto the next big thing, and everyone forgets. And then it happens again, rinse, repeat. 

Interestingly, you never see anyone point out that traits make a dog more likely to behave in certain ways :coffee: We can all agree that a greyhound trait is predatory drive directed towards small animals. We can all agree that border collies are more prone to trying to herd things. But christ on a bike, don't you dare suggest that a type developed for fighting (other dogs or other animals) might be more prone to those sorts of behaviours. If people were actually willing to acknowledge certain traits within certain breeds, maybe we could take a step towards educating people about how to live with and appropriately manage those dogs. Arguing "deed not breed" is the dog version of thoughts and prayers. Not just useless but also kind of counter-productive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Maddy said:

The death of a child is a terrible, terrible thing but not once in the media coverage have I seen any sensible discussion of what motivated the attack (which sounds like prey drive) or any attempt at educating the general public about those sorts of behaviours. Instead, it gets called aggression, perpetrated by "vicious dogs" or "dangerous breeds".

In a way, the gun analogy is apt- the media works everyone up over the issue until the public finally gets bored arguing with each other (always the "deed not breed" folk against the "waaah, anything that isn't a small/white/fluffy is a monster") and then it's onto the next big thing, and everyone forgets. And then it happens again, rinse, repeat. 

Interestingly, you never see anyone point out that traits make a dog more likely to behave in certain ways :coffee: We can all agree that a greyhound trait is predatory drive directed towards small animals. We can all agree that border collies are more prone to trying to herd things. But christ on a bike, don't you dare suggest that a type developed for fighting (other dogs or other animals) might be more prone to those sorts of behaviours. If people were actually willing to acknowledge certain traits within certain breeds, maybe we could take a step towards educating people about how to live with and appropriately manage those dogs. Arguing "deed not breed" is the dog version of thoughts and prayers. Not just useless but also kind of counter-productive.

Its about time, no, its way beyond time, people learned what was the norm in the 1950's.

No child is left unsupervised near water of any kind, be it a river, a creek, a pond, the sea, a dam or a swimming pool

THE SAME THING APPLIES TO DOG'S!

THEY ARE DOG'S,

DOG'S ARE NOT FUR CHILDREN

They have no idea that "thou shalt not kill" or the consequences if it decides to kill another dog or a child or person, after the act it will come wagging its tail to its owner.

This is  a fact that has been glossed over for decades.

The second the fur child mentality began this age of shock and horror of what a dog is capable of began.  

Its not just the child at risk either, children have to be watched and taught too.

well remember the story of the dog that was put down after snapping at the owners child.

only after he was dead did the vet discover the pencil jammed in his ear; children too can be incredibly cruel, until they learn 

Some never do.

not sure of the figures for this week, but two weeks ago 11 women this year have already been killed in domestic violance, thats more than one a week, so the slaughter continues. There is way too much silence over this mass murder taking place year in year out.  Far less have been killed by dog's but BSL was the result

Three have died from eating rock melons and the TV is saying throw out any you have and don't buy until proven safe again, meanwhile rockmelon growers are facing ruin, only one grower has been traced to the source of contamination but all are suddenly tarred with the same brush.

we live in a very priority skewed world

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

There was a Facebook statement I read recently from the Auntie who said the mother was walking the child in a pram toward the grandmothers house when a dog jumped the fence and attacked them on the street.   She said it wasn't their families dog and she didn't care what breed it was. I can't find where I read it now to link back sorry. 

There are so many different stories about what happened with this. Even different stories from family! 

One I read saying it was the grandmother's dog but that she had only had it 3 months and it was a rescue dog. 

On 05/03/2018 at 8:04 PM, Diva said:

Where did you read that, Diva? I can only find articles about the dog jumping the fence.