Dryfood - An on going problem

It's the old story that doctors/vets tell you.........everyone is different!  I guess it's sort of a moving target that makes it difficult.  I bought the MFM Dried Green Tripe thinking I was doing the right thing.  Wrong, it set my young one off.  That was about 6 months ago so I won't do that again.  Her father can eat anything.  Offal, dog roll, dry food, BARF, etc. etc.  and never get anything wrong with him.  I am so hoping the faecal cultures come back with something that as been identified otherwise it is going to be a long, long road to tread.

Guest crazydoglady99

Hey Stitch, 

I'm half way through reading Dr Deva Khalsa's book 'Natural Dog' and she says we should rotate food every 3days, 

I.e. lamb, rice & carrots day 1, chicken oatmeal & broccoli day 2, turkey & veg day 3. You get the idea!

I haven't finished reading it yet, so I am unsure how much of it I agree/disagree with. She does recommend homeopathic remedies as well (I don't  know which ones though).

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Thanks.  I agree with variety but I just wonder if it would be just one step too far in our devotion?  

Currently I spend more time cooking/shopping for the dogs than I do for us humans.  :(

If it were as simple as just defrosting frozen BARF then that's perfectly reasonable but in my case the BARF has additives that I don't want so I have to prepare the food for two dogs myself.

I would be interested to hear your feedback on the book though.  Maybe things can be adapted?

I was thinking that a holistic vet could possibly be better than our old vet but I am not really wanting to muck around with a new vet at this stage.

It would be too much like reinventing the wheel I think!

Guest crazydoglady99

Lol. Sounds like me!!! I'll let you know when I finish it.

Jean Dodds book "Canine nutrigenomics" is fantastic, it's all about 'on a cellular level how foods affect dogs'. (I think am in love with that book as it's very much in line with my food beliefs)

Happy to lend it to you (if you promise to send it back).

Edited by crazydoglady99

40 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Thanks.  I agree with variety but I just wonder if it would be just one step too far in our devotion?  

Currently I spend more time cooking/shopping for the dogs than I do for us humans.  :(

If it were as simple as just defrosting frozen BARF then that's perfectly reasonable but in my case the BARF has additives that I don't want so I have to prepare the food for two dogs myself.

I would be interested to hear your feedback on the book though.  Maybe things can be adapted?

I was thinking that a holistic vet could possibly be better than our old vet but I am not really wanting to muck around with a new vet at this stage.

It would be too much like reinventing the wheel I think!

A woman, up at the Sunshine Coast (she contacted me when Saffy was crook) reckons these vets are excellent and helped enormously with her dog, she said that Vicky was the vet she saw

https://www.thenaturalvets.com.au/vet-sunshine-coast-services/chinese-herbs/

She also said that she thinks they have a clinic in Fortitude valley

Thanks for the offer of the book Animallover.  Very kind.  I might take you up on that but I am still really hoping that the faecal sample will highlight something!

Thanks for the link Boronia.  I actually found them yesterday in my internet searching....looks like they are quite a distance away from us here....but will keep them in mind.

Sooo hoping that tests show up something that is easily addressed but inwardly resigning myself to be disappointed.  Fingers crossed!

By way of follow up.....Faecal sample revealed that she has a gram negative bacterial infection probably caused by something she has eaten when she visits our back paddock.  I have seen her eating what I think is fox poos.  How I go about preventing that in the future is going to be interesting as foxes can access our entire property even though it is dog fenced.  She is now on a course of antibiotics.  When she is finished them I will see if she still has a problem with dry food etc. and if she does I will get a Nutriscan test done.  Thank you to everyone who helped with suggestions here.  I really appreciate the support.

• Like 1

perhaps one of these light muzzles Stitch.

My lot have to wear them on the ferry (all dogs are required to wear a muzzle) and they get used to them very quickly.

A loop from the back of the muzzle that will clip around their collar is useful at first as it prevents them pulling it off.

She will still be able to sniff interesting stuff.

5abc2ebdcf66b_Screenshotfrom2018-03-2910-06-21.thumb.png.8059c1c3bf7068c6854abf6962e772f6.png

Guest crazydoglady99

Wow that's really interesting Stitch. Glad you've got something solid to go on and hopefully she feels better on the ABs.

• 4 weeks later...

We have progressed a little.  She was on steamed chicken plus probiotics.  Then progressed to BARF mixed in with it plus Protexin of a morning and a few chicken necks in the evening.  It is the best she has been for a long while and I am increasing the amount of BARF as the days go by.  Dry dogfood, regardless of brand, doesn't do good things for this dog.  I now have a selection of dry food which my other dogs are working their way through!  LOL

I was going to send the saliva sample to Jean Dodds in USA however my vet says that there is a new company with a new method of testing from a blood sample.  This includes many different foods, proteins, etc. as well as the usual things that they test for.  I am waiting for her to get the test kit in which may be this week.

It would be good if the test can be done in Australia.

Forgot to say that the antibiotics made a big difference but didn't solve the whole problem.

Edited by Stitch
  • Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

Great update!!!

I'm going to get my 3 dogs tested with nutriscan just for curiosity sake.

Animallover I am presuming that you have to pay up front for the Nutriscan ie. before they send you the kit, is that correct?

I note that for domestic customers in USA they say that they have to receive the sample within 10 days.  I suppose this time frame would be the same with overseas customers.

Is there a mail service that will definitely get it there in about 5 days just to be on the safe side?

Also I read the envelope has to have the health certification on the outside.  I wonder if the sample is rejected at the border if you get to try again with a new sample??

It just seems like a lot of money to fork out when problems can occur because we are overseas.

Have you done it before OK?

Guest crazydoglady99

I'm not sure actually. Years ago I remember being overwhelmed by the idea.  But I could have sworn someone told me a holistic vet here has the kits.

I just have to get my slack backside to ask the vet myself! My plan was to do them via her if she had them.. 

Guest crazydoglady99

A wonderful holistic vet here does have the kits. They're $650 each  everything included  (I don't have to do the posting etc).

It's actually a small price to pay, considering my quest for lower allergy/novel protein sources has already cost far more than that. There was the 30kg of goat which gave them itches and hot spots.. currently I have 30kg each of Camel, Emu & Possum to experiment with! 

We're having them done next week - I'll let you know how it goes!

Edited by crazydoglady99