Recommendations please

Bushriver

Hi. My family and I are looking at getting a new companion. We have narrowed it down to three breeds- the cocker spaniel, border terrier or cavalier King Charles. We live on a large rural farm and have four young children. We are looking for a friendly easy going dog who enjoys playing with the kids and being outside but can be trained to be calm and relaxed and doesn't need a tonne of excersise. What is everyone's thoughts and does anyone have any breeders they would recommend. Obviously we want a reputable breeder and a happy healthy puppy. 

Three widely differing breed temperaments there.

I would suggest, that if you are close to Perth or another large city that you attend some of the all breed dog shows and actually meet a fair few examples of each breed before you finalise your choice of breed. If you can't do that then start looking at the Dogs 101 section of this forum where breeders and owners discuss the breeds they know well.

Cocker Spaniel 101

Cavalier King Charles 101

Sorry I looked carefully but couldn't find a Dogs 101 for the Border Terrier, surprisingly. @Troy could you please start a 101 for the Border Terrier?

Then I suggest you research medical conditions that may be likely to affect your chosen breed and if those conditions can be selected against by breeders using testing before breeding. Obviously then you choose breeders who actively do such testing and are quite happy to prove that.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the border terriers are a bit tricky. I've never met one in person and I've contacted the one breeder in WA that I could find about meeting her dogs but she hasn't got back to me yet. I'm leaning towards the Cavs but the heart problems are a concern. 

I've got a cocker spaniel and a West Highland White Terrier. Both love kids, both are chilled at home when we're not doing much. They don't need heaps of exercise but love going out. The Westie has the typical terrier joie de vivre. Compared to what I read about other cocker spaniels mine is very quiet. I got her as a nearly three year old so that may have something to do with her upbringing.

Both require grooming and regular brushing to prevent matting. The Westie has a hard coat so is much easier to maintain. I groom them myself, every 4-6 weeks, and the Westie takes about an hour, the cocker 2-3 hours. Both have longer coats as that is my preference.

I have a Border Terrier but can only give my opinion based on one :)

I put a lot of effort in to training her from day one to end up with a dog I was happy with (which I would have done regardless of breed though). We do a little bit of training most days and she knows lots of tricks. We're currently in the middle of Susan Garrett's recallers program and it's the bee's knees.

Naturewise I couldn't be happier. She loves every person or dog  she meets but kids are her favourite. She loves learning new things and her tail never stops wagging when we're training. Size wise is great, not too big not too small. I don't do dog parks so her nature remains great with other dogs.

Healthwise, no complaints. She's clear of CECs by parentage which is I believe the only health problem they may have? She has great teeth and has been on raw all her life. She could go all day if you wanted a running partner too. 

Grooming wise I was going to do it myself but ended up using a groomer. She has twice a year hand strips and looks like a new dog for a few months.  A lot of people clip which I'm sure the dog prefers but their coat goes soft, curly and a light colour.

Negatives would be her high pitched bark (although she's not a huge barker.) Also she's so smart I could see with little training or mental enrichment she might get bored and pick up bad behaviours. A walk a day might be physical enrichment but they also need mental enrichment to meet their needs. (No different to any other dog really).

Don't discount having a puppy flown to you though. Poppy came from two states away which allowed me to really pick and choose breeders. It's not that hard importing from NZ too.

Good luck with your choice, there's so many great dog breeds out there, it's really tough!

• Like 1

I have owned two of these the Border and Cocker -(numerous Borders, just two Cockers) very different from each each other.   Why -I am not keen on the independent streak of both the Border or the Cocker.

I still prefer the English Springers!

From what I've seen, Cavaliers are probably the most easy going, but also highly trainable and smart ... several I know do obedience, tracking and agility among other things.    From what I've seen good breeders are doing their very best to breed sound, healthy, long living dogs.

A friend has Border Terriers .. show and pet, and has bred.   Hers are lovely little dogs, but they are terriers .. so a bit independent and sometimes a bit inclined to be a little snarky, even with a lot of work.   She lives small acreage, and two of hers decided to go walkabout for a few hours the other week, causing considerable alarm .. fortunately they were found before they came to any harm.

Yes I am leaning towards Cavs. I love the look of the borders and I had heard they weren't as "terrierish " as other terriers which is why I thought they might suit. I am looking for a loveable little easy going companion. While it's important that the dog would get along with kids, they do have our wonderful labs for rough and tumble play. I feel like a traitor to the lab breed for deciding to try another. My labs are fantastic and I'd never trade them, but I've really wanted a smaller breed for a while and now is the right time for us to add to our home. Can anyone recommend a good Cav breeder as I know there can be health issues?

5 hours ago, Boronia said:

what about a Tibbie?

Thanks for thinking of a Tibbie, Boronia.  But I don't think a Tibbie would match the lifestyle that Bushriver's described.  Too cat-like.

Bushriver, I don't think you're being a traitor to the labrador breed.  We used to always own working dog breeds, like border collies & shelties.  But I also wanted a small breed & found my way to Tibbies.   I'd actually researched & chosen Papillons.   But on my way at a dog show to look at Papillons, I walked into Tibbies!   And they turned out to be what I wanted.  I hope you find just the right breed for you.  

• Like 2

Bushriver & Boronia,  I'm going to eat my words.  Don't listen to me when I said I thought Tibetan Spaniels would be too cat-like for your needs.  I found a great quote from an experienced Tibbie breeder in her Dogzonline profile that means I was totally wrong!!!!!

"I have been involved with Tibetan spaniels since 1997. They are an intelligent, happy, quiet breed full of self confidence. they make an Ideal pet for both young and elderly and adapt well to living on acreage or in a small yard as long as there owner is with them. I live on 40acres and my tibbies love being farm dogs. They get on well with my cows, horse, and cats."

Id ad a Basset Fauve De Bretagne they love their families are great with children, can take as much or as little exercise as you offer, learn quickly and are just great all round family dogs. They are hounds so as long as you have good fences and you would need them in the bush with what ever dog you get, they would be great.

I have two and they are my best friends.

Hi Bushriver

I am a lifetime Labrador owner but my parents have a Cavalier. She is a great little dog who is happy to retrieve with my Lab, is fantastic with people especially kids, she is very active and loves going for a walk and going to the dog park but is happy to sit on mums lap for hours. While I only have eyes for Labradors I think Cavaliers are a fantastic breed and Labs and Cavs are a great combination.

I can't post a photo but check out my Insta @kirstenennis to see a few pics of the Lab and Cav duo.

• Thanks 1

There's a border breeder here in NZ who I follow (not suggesting you import). I've been following her for a while and love the look of her dogs. I'm sure you could learn more from her, but not sure they'd be my pick of the three listed above for you. 

Interestingly,  this breeder will not place a puppy with a family who hasn't owned borders before and have children under 5. So my hopes of getting a dog off her any time soon are now zilch!

https://www.facebook.com/Muterus/

Edited by Scottsmum

She follows puppy culture :heart: 

It seems a bit unusual to only sell a border to someone who's had them before though? It's the effort you put in which makes you a good owner not what breed you've had I would have thought? 

On 08/03/2018 at 7:06 AM, Roova said:

She follows puppy culture :heart: 

It seems a bit unusual to only sell a border to someone who's had them before though? It's the effort you put in which makes you a good owner not what breed you've had I would have thought? 

I can sympathise with that. Borders are a breed where prior knowledge is a HUGE plus, and I think that most Border breeders, all else being equal, would favour someone who knows the breed over someone who just likes the look of them.
In fact I would go as far as to say that most Border breeders are very quick to say so if they think that the breed won't suit you.
Add no prior experience to having children under 5 and you would have quite a huge undertaking to successfully integrate the pup into the family. Borders are certainly NOT the only breed to which this would apply, I'm sure that most of us can think of several others. I'm sure that it can and has been done, but it takes a great deal of effort and time where another breed could integrate much more easily. Just my opinion.

• Like 1