Cav grooming

Hi. I am actively searching for our new puppy and have decided on a cavalier King Charles spaniel. This will be my first time owning a long coated breed. I have heard that clipping the coat damages it. How exactly does it damage it? What will happen if I clip and then try to grow it again?

Edited by Bushriver

Firstly do your research on coats within the lines you are looking at. 

As a groomer of 30 plus years I’ve clipped hundreds of cavalier. 

Whst breaks my heart is they should have lovely easily managed coats that the breed standard calls for no clipping or trimming except under the pads of the feet. Unfortunately as soon as they are desexed the vast majority rapidly turn into woolly mammoths. Varying from just a thick version of normal to a part down the middle with a coat akin to an Afghan!

Pet Grooming we get request everything from just trim feet ( which kills me! They’re naturally feathered feet are beautiful and makes them look balanced). I don’t think I’ve ever met a pet owner who didn’t want the feet trimmed. Right through to shaved ALL over to look pretty much like a beagle. 

Clipping may make the coat become softer and lighter in colour, but personally I feel it’s the desexing that does the real coat damage, then clipping becomes a necessity for many, further adding to the changes. 

Ive found the vast majority of pet owners do start seeking clipping to try to control desexed coats and maintain the style shape of the breed

it doesn’t ruin the coat moreso just changes it. 

I have met the very few cavalier with pattern baldness associated with thyroid issues, which has nothing to do with clipping damage but often misdiagnosed as such.  

The breed can shed a LOT  and I feel some pet owners clip them very short to control this. 

My take out message if you want a truly nice coat don’t desex. If you do you very well may need clipping and trimming to maintain breed profile 

they are a coat that can be stripped but I find most pet owners don’t have what it takes to maintain affective stripping programs at home, or won’t bring them to salon frequently enough for it, or can’t find a groomer who can do it, or despite all efforts, the giant Spey coat defeats them and they opt for clipping. 

Why are you thinking of clipping? Cavaliers have such a pretty coat. They are not hard to keep looking nice. I’ve always prided myself on my girls being well groomed and pretty. Unfortunately due to health problems keeping four Cavs and a Finnish Lapphund well groomed I have caved and done some clipping. It made me rather sad though! I’ve left their beautiful ears and tails. When I worked in a salon it was so upsetting when people would bring their Cavs in and ask for them to be clipped right off to look like a beagle. 

Desexing does alter coats with a lot of Cavs, though not all.

hey, Bushriver :)  in another life, I had friends who bred  the luckiest Cavs. anywhere 
they also had a vineyard, bred  belted galloway cattle ..lived in a mud brick house .. those little dogs had a ball! they chased birds..helped feed the cattle , got prickles , rolled in mud ..Lots of grooming - cos some were shown , but they were never clipped :) Their coats were lustrous and lovely .

Spay coats are an issue but cavie coats still need work and the effort you put in is the end result.

We clip most pet cavies off by request as the owners want the breed not the coat .

Those that leave the coat do ask for the slippers (feet) to be trimmed off which I do t have an issue with as a pet especially in winter .

Clipping off encourages the crappy/ dull undercoat to grow more which sheds even more,knots more and the coat never looks shiny or healthy .

The reality is your either prepared to brush or your not .would soo er clip a cavie off than have to dematt them .

You don’t have to clip the top coat off though but can certainly trim the underbelly and feathers to be more practical in a puppy length so still retaining the look 

Thanks everyone. I guess I will take it as it comes depending on our individuals coat. I have no problem brushing. I think it would be quite enjoyable. I will see how we go as "he/she" gets older and if a daily brushing is enough to keep the grass seeds etc at bay. I do like the look of their coats but I am most drawn by their temperament. As long as they are comfortable and happy and healthy. We are quite a distance from any towns or groomers. Is the trimming something I'd be able to do myself with practice? Although I do like the idea of taking the dog out for the day and getting spruced up :)

Here's one article on the impact of shaving / clipping. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/albertnorthvetclinic.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/shaving-your-dogs-coat-should-you-or-shouldnt-you/amp/ there'll be more if you google.

Grooming yourself is easy. I've got my first two double coated breeds - Westie and cocker- and do them myself. Friend recommended the book Theory of Five and it's easy to follow. I use a coat king to remove undercoat.

I have a 13 year old tri girl (Cav) that has a very easy care coat.  She has been desexed since she was about 10 months.  I do get her clipped now as she finds the bathing and drying very tiresome on her little old body.  Fortunately my new groomer does most of the clipping while the dog is laying in her lap so it isn't so tiring.

• Like 1

I would really like to maintain the silkyness  of the coat but maybe just trim any very long feathering. Scissors ? Hopefully this won't cause the dull wavy coat that I've seen? I assume my breeder, when I find one , could help me too. 

• Like 1

Lacey’s coat went woolly  after she was desexed ....

I trim under her feet every couple of weeks and check her every couple of days as she is a magnet for grass seeds and burrs :/ apart from that she is very easy to keep groomed.