Stop scratching door?

I thought we had trained it out of him but he is back at it. 

Scratching us is the wrong word. More like he hits it with his foot then waits. Hits it again. 

I have have never opened the door for this. 

Both dogs are required to sit to request access and that’s what he will do if he thinks I’m approaching and then I’ll let him in. 

But im while I’m getting ready for work or cooking dinner. BANG..... .... BANG! 

Its a metal security door so quite loud. He is also starting to dent it! :o

i was thinking maybe something similar to what people put on helmets for magpies? To stop him and break him of the habit?

He is banging to  get you to notice him if the sit doesn't get quick enough results for his liking.  Maybe put a puppy pen or something around the door to break him of the habit? A nuisance because you have to open door AND puppy pen to let them in, but that could actually reinforce the sit. Take the puppy pen away after a week, if he resumes the knocking put it back. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure what you mean about helmets, we used to paint eyes on them to stop magpies from swooping but I can't see how that would apply here! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha people add plastic to the helmet to stick out and persuade magpies to leave it alone because no flat surface to hit. 

I do do still have a puppy pen I’ll see if I can set it up. Back door is on a raised set of steps so it might fall off I’ll let you know 

:0  I'll get frowns and naughty step for this ..but it worked . Our door is top half screen ..bottom half solid . Dogs banged/scratched ...
person snuck up with a plastic bottle of warm water ..waited for next noise and squirted it thru the screen , ..disappearing fast ! Sometimes had to be repeated , but the dogs did not really like the nasty respone that door gave ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, persephone said:

:0  I'll get frowns and naughty step for this ..but it worked . Our door is top half screen ..bottom half solid . Dogs banged/scratched ...
person snuck up with a plastic bottle of warm water ..waited for next noise and squirted it thru the screen , ..disappearing fast ! Sometimes had to be repeated , but the dogs did not really like the nasty respone that door gave ;) 

This is what I do too. At Xmas time when I had extra dogs staying with us my squirty water bottle got a good work out. One little boy schnauzer in particular copped it frequently. As I had a group of them staying with us they were all kept outside during the day. This one particular boy, every afternoon would start to annoy. It was like he’d had enough and was ready to come in. He would sit at the screen door and woof. Not constantly but enough to annoy us. From the kitchen , without being seen I could squirt him quite easily. It works. It kept him away.  I agree sometimes it did need to be repeated but they definitely don’t like it. 

• Like 1

It’s near solid metal security door (then a normal wooden door) and I’m afraid sitting in the laundry sink to spray through the window is likely more aversive to me than to a water loving spaniel! 

When I get home I’ll take a photo so you can all see what I’m working with in terms of location. 

Hes not not as bad as he once was and ignoring it had worked last time but I don’t know why he’s started up again recently. 

If it wasn’t metal wouldn’t be so annoying. Goes BANG! Silence for 5 mins...BANG BANG silence for 10 mins....... relaxing....thinking of going out....BANG!!!!!

• Haha 2

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd recommend booby-trapping the door somehow. The banging sounds like it's self-reinforcing, and if that's the case then you'd want to make it unpleasant somehow. Even just throwing keys at him if you catch him in the act can work. Otherwise, so he doesn't associate you with the bad experience, attaching some tin cans that make noise or fall on him can inhibit the behavior. I hope I don't get crucified for my response, but even Dunbar recommends booby traps! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JacAbik9 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd recommend booby-trapping the door somehow. The banging sounds like it's self-reinforcing, and if that's the case then you'd want to make it unpleasant somehow. Even just throwing keys at him if you catch him in the act can work. Otherwise, so he doesn't associate you with the bad experience, attaching some tin cans that make noise or fall on him can inhibit the behavior. I hope I don't get crucified for my response, but even Dunbar recommends booby traps! 

Thanks Jac, I appreciate it might work for some dogs but we need to be mindful of my other dog - she is very timid and sensitive to surprises such as sudden movement, loud noises, Thyme freaking out overly etc. I've spent a lot of time building up her confidence and recovery, I wouldn't want to set her back just because I'm annoyed at some banging.

Anything I do to deter or train Thyme to stop banging, I need to make sure doesn't frighten or alarm Thistle.  It is why I am thinking more passive things to break him of the habit such as barriers.

I promised a photo and never delivered:

29004061_10160003251840161_1592662620_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFi00Fs_Szi7dlX1qfroyE4gzv4OIbQk7kVS3QDMxXhw9-DGZIKjT0nwJriDsRGnrIpTqmzISY_lafaXjbch2DpmkTI8A8zH4SvhpS69Ce-cg&oh=891eb853014adbae37082a92da88e6ec&oe=5AA82786

the top left window is positioned right above a sink and the other doesn't open. As can see, it's on raised steps? I tried putting the old barriers up but he just knocked them down into the water bowls.
I've put some kids puzzled pieces up purely to protect the security door.

i've yet to find something I can attach to stick out a bit and force him some space away from the door. Troublesome young man.

I do suspect he just outright enjoys the behaviour. 

Can you elaborate? As in the steps of what you would do when so he realises banging = I’m alone on a pen :(

I have added a... idk what it is actually. A tomato trainer thing. To the door to see if it makes hitting uncomfortable. He has hit once then silen ce but could just be tired. 

Will report back!

1D04A4CA-4C5D-46E5-BE94-CD02A49B851B.jpeg

• Like 2

Hopefully that helps, I was going to say to put something like bubble wrap on the part he bangs on, and something on the inside of the door frame if needed, to see if that would soften the noise.  Not a deterrent as such, but stops the noise.

(I had to do this to a door inside, because my cat thought that pounding on the door constantly would get her fed. I Bubble wrapped bottom half of door, and smeared a dab or three of Vicks Vaporub on it.   Lesson learned...kind of.   Now she sits in the kitchen and meows like she's being strangled....*sigh*)

What about some contact sticky book/shelf sticky paper stuff ...? stick onto door with gaffer tape around its edges  ..but with entire surface area of contact STICKY SIDE FACING OUT ?  ( he, he, he , he ......) 
A BIG rectangle of it ..so he HAS to hit it . 
Don't let him see you fiddling ...have him in crate or whatever chewing treat ..then just put him out as normal   ;) 

Edited by persephone

Haha I did eye my duct tape wondering if could use that. 

So so far so good. Only a single bang that I recall (followed by an offended bark). 

Hoping this breaks that habit once and for all. 

Which, realising he doesn’t realise this, means I’ll be able to go to them more frequently if I’m not waiting for them to calm down!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@PANDI-GIRL it is about 97% quiet! The other 3% is when i first get home but before I go to the dogs - i might hear a single bang and then silence. I think sometimes he just forgets its not a comfortable option anymore.

I know there's been one bang tonight, I remember thinking about it on the loo, but nothing since. Can't even recall when he might have last done it before then. Much reduced! He hasn't substituted with barking or anything. Mostly he just lays on the back step or cuddles up with thistle in her kennel

(why even bother with two kennels, really...)

Hmmmm so quiet as I type. I think....turkey necks tonight... :)

• Like 3