Poor Molly. What a day!!!!!

Kazm

What a day we had yesterday. Although technically it started Saturday. I noticed miss Molly was licking and seemed very irritated around her private parts. Being a weekend I wasn’t waiting for things to get worse and made a vet appointment. Yes, she had a very slight infection. Tablets, cone and cream and off we went. Everything was working great. By Sunday there was a huge improvement  and by Monday morning I could put the cone away. I had noticed that she was a lot more hungrier than usual. A lot. Probably due to the prednisolone. Monday night she ate chicken necks ( cut into small pieces as usual) . As I was busy I didn’t notice how fast she must have eaten them. Into the evening she vomited.  I was slightly concerned but hey dogs do occasionally. Then about 1am she woke us up vomiting again. Now I was very concerned and that was about the end of my sleep for the night. Just after 4am she vomited again and this time there was blood. Now I knew a vet visit was a necessary. She vomited again an hour or so later. More blood. She did seem her usual self though. Waited until 7am when our vets opened. During the consultation she vomited again. This time bringing up a few pieces of chicken neck also. Obviously not chewed. Molly then spent the day at the vets. Anti nausea medication, stomach protectant drug, fluids and an X-ray. She did come home last night with the all clear. But we are guessing because she was so hungry she has gulped the food down and the chicken necks have scratched her oesaphagus and this started all the drama. I just have to watch her today as the anti nausea drug will wear off during the morning. A bit less and soft food for a few days. A big learning curve - the moral of my story is that when you have a ravenous dog feed it softer food or at least keep an eye on how they eat it. But I am very grateful she is back home and relatively ok. She seems a little quiet today but she did have quite a day yesterday and due to all her vomiting she has actually lost a lot of weight. Still hungry but monitoring all food intake. Fingers crossed we get through today smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Here's to hoping she comes good again, the little miss scoffalot.

Sarge did similar the other week, had an irritated throat from scoffing down his roo straps [they were a little bit drier than normal].  He was swallowing a lot and threw up a bit.  Just let his throat calm down and gave him soft food.

Edited by Kajirin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Scary scary, particularly with blood in the vomit.  So relieved that all is well now.  I bet you lost a bit of weight too!!

Extremely scary. Don’t really want to go through that again and yes actually I did lose some weight too. Amazing what worry and stress will do. She is still quiet. Sleeping soundly today. I think it took a fair bit out of her. Tomorrow hopefully is a better day.

1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

Kids and dogs scare us so much!!

Yes they do. Life would be pretty dull without them .

31 minutes ago, Animal House said:

Poor Molly, so glad she is on the mend and it was nothing serious.  They like to keep us broke and on edge  :laugh:

I felt so bad for her as she has always been such a healthy girl. And yep, I need to do a bit more grooming and dog sitting now. Or maybe I’ll just sit Molly on the street corner with a money tin. :rofl:

Glad your your boy is ok Kajirin. And I think Molly now has a new nickname - Miss Scoffalot. Thanks

4 hours ago, Kajirin said:

Here's to hoping she comes good again, the little miss scoffalot.

Sarge did similar the other week, had an irritated throat from scoffing down his roo straps [they were a little bit drier than normal].  He was swallowing a lot and threw up a bit.  Just let his throat calm down and gave him soft food.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gillybob said:

I just hate that sound in the middle of the night a dog retching. Scares me heaps.

Totally agree. Why does everything bad happen at night? 

It was a very scary experience especially seeing her vomit up blood. But as of lunchtime today I can say she seemed like her old happy self. She slept soundly this morning but had a much better afternoon. And yes she is still very hungry. Can’t stop the course of prednisolone. She had a light meal of chicken fillet and I actually hand fed her so she wouldn’t hoover it down. Alls well that ends well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kajirin said:

Sounds like she's on the mend good and proper...excellent!

I think so. Dinner stayed down. Just a light meal and still hand feeding as she is still so very hungry. I don’t want her hoovering her food at this point. She slept well. We have just been for a walk and she’s had her breakfast. Seems like my little girl is back :love::thumbsup:

• Like 4