Pregnant and bleeding

My three-year-old maiden kelpie has been Artificially inseminated and is four weeks confirmed pregnant. She has started bleeding and I have been to vets and had a second ultra scan. She is healthy and happy and vets have not prescribed any treatment except to keep an eye on her and scan again next week. The vets that actually did the AI have suggested putting her on antibiotics and want to do a telephone consultation with my vets. (they are 6 hours away from where I live). I don't believe in giving antibiotics unless there is actually an infection. Has anyone had experience with this situation? What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, kelpiekaye said:

My three-year-old maiden kelpie has been Artificially inseminated and is four weeks confirmed pregnant. She has started bleeding and I have been to vets and had a second ultra scan. She is healthy and happy and vets have not prescribed any treatment except to keep an eye on her and scan again next week. The vets that actually did the AI have suggested putting her on antibiotics and want to do a telephone consultation with my vets. (they are 6 hours away from where I live). I don't believe in giving antibiotics unless there is actually an infection. Has anyone had experience with this situation? What are your thoughts?

No experience with the situation, but it might help to describe "bleeding".

Too much can go wrong very quickly to risk not giving the bitch every opportunity to either retain the pups or to overcome any infection.  In this case I would definitely administer antibiotics.

Edited by Stitch

27 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Problem is you wont know there is an infection until its too late .

We would use antibiotics .

But your choice your risk factor

Ok, thanks for that, not something that people seem to know a lot about. I've got some antibiotics from the vet today.

Just now, Stitch said:

Too much can go wrong very quickly to risk not giving the bitch every opportunity to either retain the pups or to overcome and infection.  In this case I would definitely give antibiotics.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...