9 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

Are you a dog judge?

I am no judge but I would have given it to that cocky little Westie   :laugh:

no surprise there

Edited by Boronia
edited for spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

nope, but then we give opinions here, its allowed.

i never really see how a judge can give best in show , no judge can be that knowledgeable on every breed put in front of it, preference must come into play . 

Edited by juice
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, juice said:

nope, but then we give opinions here, its allowed.

i never really see how a judge can give best in show , no judge can be that knowledgeable on every breed put in front of it, preference must come into play . 

A very wise judge said once, something along the lines of; get the most experienced judge to judge at breed level ( as that is hardest ), the next experienced at group level and the least experienced at show level. Because once you get to BIS you have 7 amazing dogs to judge and anyone of them could could win. Makes sense to me. And I am not knocking any judge least of all one worthy of judging BIS at Crufts. I didn't see the BIS judging but you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I firmly believe that yes personal preference can come into play. We are all influenced one way or another and if you have 7 wonderful dogs to choose from but you know one breed a little bit better then the other 6, can see how well it fits the standard just a fraction more then the others, then yes you might choose that one. It's why exhibitors like to show under judges who know their breed, hoping that if everything else is equal, then familiarity with your breed might get you over the line.

I used to keep a list of judges that had given a class in group, or more, to a greyhound, being excited they were prepared to put up what is a rare breed in the ring ( as long as it was of suitable standard of course ) Most show people do similar. If you have a choice of going under someone who has put your breed up or going to another show where a judge has never put your breed up guess which one most would choose?

Flame suit firmly on :laugh:

• Like 2

All the dogs showed great .Given most people have never been to Crufts they have no idea how overwhelming & intimidating the main ring can be ,the massive over head screen is often the first thing the dogs see,cameras ring side clicking away,spotlights,crazy noise  & a very very long day of waiting around listen to the stupid things joe public say .

Exercising your dogs there is near impossible & battling the crowds to get out the right door to toilet outside if your dogs wont go in the inside pens is a whole new battle .

Check out the beautiful Dandies

Thank you HEAPS to Margaret Foxmoore: Dogs Outside The Ring who kindly gave me permission to post them (what a lovely job to have!)

I think you will need to click backwards

Edited by Boronia

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2018 at 5:42 PM, Rebanne said:

A very wise judge said once, something along the lines of; get the most experienced judge to judge at breed level ( as that is hardest ), the next experienced at group level and the least experienced at show level. Because once you get to BIS you have 7 amazing dogs to judge and anyone of them could could win. Makes sense to me. And I am not knocking any judge least of all one worthy of judging BIS at Crufts. I didn't see the BIS judging but you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I firmly believe that yes personal preference can come into play. We are all influenced one way or another and if you have 7 wonderful dogs to choose from but you know one breed a little bit better then the other 6, can see how well it fits the standard just a fraction more then the others, then yes you might choose that one. It's why exhibitors like to show under judges who know their breed, hoping that if everything else is equal, then familiarity with your breed might get you over the line.

I used to keep a list of judges that had given a class in group, or more, to a greyhound, being excited they were prepared to put up what is a rare breed in the ring ( as long as it was of suitable standard of course ) Most show people do similar. If you have a choice of going under someone who has put your breed up or going to another show where a judge has never put your breed up guess which one most would choose?

Flame suit firmly on :laugh:

I agree with this.

when we were showing, the people we sat with who’d been around the ring for a long time  (get it?! Oh, I crack myself up!!) could point out which dogs would win, based on the judge and if they were used to one breed.

it may seem unfair, but it makes sense on both sides that breeders put their dogs under judges that know their breed, especially the rarer breeds.

i think the only way around this is having an ‘all breeds’ judge who does not own a particular breed.

good luck with that.