What sort of dog should i get?

Mitch95

Hi I am looking for some advice.

I currently own a 3 year old female cattle dog and am looking to bring a new pup into my life. I am looking into what breeds would be 
suitable for my lifestyle. I run daily and have done a lot of obedience training with some agility, i also spend quite a bit of time down at the 
beach and on bush hikes. I would prefer a larger breed of dog that i could actively engage with daily and so i am currently researching 
German Shepherds but i would love and really appreciate any other suggestions or feedback :)  

Dalmations, pointers and German shorthaired pointers may be worth considering. With GSDs - or any breed - you’ll need to consider the suitability of bloodlines, in terms of conformation, health (hip and elbow scores) and temperament. Running with a reactive dog would not be much fun!

if you get a puppy, you’ll need to wait a year or two before you can take it running.

Dallies are great runners, mine was the best dog i ever owned and lived with a cattle dog too, my best boys, and healthiest two i have ever owned. Miss them everyday.

However i have seen way too many dodgy temps in dallies recently so check this out if you go that route.

Thank you so much, a stable temperament is very high up on my list of priorities and have heard a lot of questionable things about the temps with the dalmatians being bred today. Do pointers tend to be a bit aloof?

Dalmatians are wonderful but can be very high energy. My Ziggy is a cracker. 11 years old and getting ready for his 3rd Agility Nationals. Owes me nothing. Would suggest Lukias Dalmatians as a good start. My breeders have long since retired unfortunately. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil

On 3/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, sandgrubber said:

Huntaway?  Big as herding dogs go, and mellower than most.  Smart.  Want to please.  Gawdawful bark, though.

Gawd yes. I wouldn'trecommend one to anyone based on that alone.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

43 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

Gawd yes. I wouldn'trecommend one to anyone based on that alone.

For perspective: the yelpie kelpie is worse.  Somehow, dog breed reviews seldom consider the piercing quality of some barks. :)

Edited by sandgrubber
Somehow double quoted
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

For perspective: the yelpie kelpie is worse.  Somehow, dog breed reviews seldom consider the piercing quality of some barks. :)

Funny. I just had a week at mums (working sheep farm). Commented that someone was yapping the entire time I was up with the baby one night as the guest room is same end of the house as the dog run. Without even thinking she said "Yup. That's Warnie. He's part huntaway.

Walked one for a while -while i was doing that.  Molly, would yap constantly even while we were moving. Lovely dog but holy crap she was annoying!

I don't know any yelpie kelpies  (not saying they dont exist) but have 2 huntaway crosses on my street. They're absolutely on my "naughty" list.

To come back on topic. I find it interesting their breed standard says they're not for showing - but should be only used for working. They really not a dog I'd recommend as a pet. Breed standard does also mention their voice - but I'd have to double check the exact wording.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 2:45 PM, Mitch95 said:

Thank you so much, a stable temperament is very high up on my list of priorities and have heard a lot of questionable things about the temps with the dalmatians being bred today. Do pointers tend to be a bit aloof?

Pointers (the english variety) can be somewhat aloof and in some lines, timid with strangers. My boy could be a bit timid as a pup but with growing confidence is growing into a dog that is mostly indifferent toward strangers. He is friendly and has a soft temperament but is not overtly affectionate or interested in seeking attention from strangers. They tend to be massive clingy sooks with their owners though and normally a breed that gets on well with other dogs.

On the higher end energy wise and resort to destruction easily if bored/understimulated. Full grown they make great running companions. Difficulty training recall is a very real concern though as even showlines are very birdy and they are QUICK. So if you are planning offlead bush and beach adventures, potentially not the best match.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest a Great Dane.  Great Dane is truly a great dog breed— large and noble, commonly referred to as a gentle giant or as the “Apollo of dogs.” Apollo is the Greek god of the sun, the brightest fixture in the sky. The Great Dane certainly holds stature in the dog world; but though he looks terribly imposing, in reality he’s one of the best-natured dogs around. For all of his size, a Great Dane is a sweet, affectionate pet. He loves to play and is gentle with children and as what you've said good for hikes right? One of the best choices.

Great Danes are not high energy dogs and though there may be the odd one out, none that I've met would ever keep up with a cattle dog or most working dogs for that matter. I'm sure GDs would enjoy a short hike at a modest pace though not a long or strenuous one. 
I do agree 100% that most have very sweet temperaments though. 

You might be right @juice but as I was reminded recently we have to remember that general public is reading this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1