Managing elderly dogs overnight - advice please!

westiemum

Morning everyone! 

Just when I thought Sarebear was on her way out (my very elderly westie who will be 17 on 6 July), this morning she has galloped down the side grassed garden ramp like a two year old, turned the corner at the bottom like a rally driver and plopped onto the grass below on all four paws without falling over.  Incredible. I stood there gob-smacked with my mouth open!   She usually comes up the ramp OK but will not usually go down it.  LOL!!  Must get a video. 

In the meantime, some advice please from the DOL brains trust.  Sarah is 16.75 years old.  She's deaf and going blind and has lost weight of late (but the vet is unconcerned as she said she's better off a bit on the lean side since her back legs are now wobbly).  Ran her bloods at the vet 6-8 weeks ago and they are all fine - in fact so good the vet wondered if the lab had mixed up the results.  She is in very very early very mild kidney failure (only just registering on the new, most sensitive lab test they have) but at her age the vet said not to worry about it as 'that won't be what gets her in the end'.   She now wears a pad and pants inside as she's a little bit 'leaky' and incontinent (occasionally) but otherwise she is a really healthy senior citizen.  She's fed human grade raw (which she loves and wolfs down) and as recently as last Thursday night refused dry food at a friends place when we unexpectedly stayed overnight.  Only in the last month or so has the vet agreed to some low dose anti-inflammatories and pain relief for her and they seem to be helping keep her comfy. 

But in the last three consecutive nights, she has started not being able to get through the night without an overnight snack.  So maybe I need to go to at least 3 meals a day, and introduce a bedtime snack?   Last night she woke up at 2.30 am and was clearly ravenous (she made a beeline for her bowl and the pantry!) so I gave her a pure tripe treat (which she loves!!!) and then later had to give her some more meat.  She then settled and went back to sleep until we all got up this morning.  If she needs something to eat or drink or a wee or a poo overnight, then there is absolutely no settling her now until she gets what she needs - even at 2.30 or 3 am!  She will pace incessantly until she gets whatever she wants/needs, including stomping all over me!  (Which of course goes down really well at 2 or 3 in the morning)!   She then wee'd and poo'd well before having her breakfast this morning.

So... question is... what other brilliant ways you have of managing elderly pups, particularly overnight?   I'm all ears.

TIA :)  

ETA: And no I don't think she has dementia - she gets herself into corners but almost immediately gets herself out again - so I suspect its her failing eyesight rather than anything else.  She still problem solves quite well for an old girl.     

Edited by westiemum

Snap Juice -  thanks - was just doing that edit when our posts crossed.  No I don't think so.  My dearly departed Mac definitely had dementia and she's different.  She gets herself out of corners without difficulty, making me think thats her vision rather than demetia.  And my Mum (an old nurse who picked up Mac's dementia before anyone, including the vet), doesn't think she has it either.  

I'm watching them at mealtimes to make sure my puddin' Andy isn't stealing her food.  And yes he does when I'm not watching so I've taken to supervising mealtimes closely now.  She definitely got her whole chicken wing herself this morning and her meat dinner last night - but she was still ravenous at 2.30 am this morning.  Maybe I need to cut  puddin' Andy back and up her serving sizes!  But if I give her too big a serve, she vomits.  So its a bit of a fine line and my gut is telling me that she needs more meals - maybe a  lunchtime and a bedtime snack too?  But I was just wondering what others do overnight with their oldies?   

Edited by westiemum

Yep Juice I reckon thats right - but what?  I don't want to have to be toiletting her at 2.30 am either if I can avoid it!   

What makes good bedtime snacks for elderly dogs to get them through the night? :)

Kibble swells up in the stomach with some water, I don't like using it near bedtime because it can make them pee in the night but it definitely bulks up in their tummy and is quite filling. Sorry if you already use it. I was just thinking bedtime snack. :)  We don't get through much dry here. A bag lasts forever lol. 

Thanks Powerlegs - I'm not a big dry food fan either - and nor is Sarebear - (she refused it as recently as last Thursday night).   The last bag of dry here got thrown out nearly full too.  Can't remember the last time we got through a full bag here (if ever?).  

Mac used to love scrambled egg - I'm thinking a microwave scrambled egg with a bit of butter and maybe some cheese at bedtime might do the trick?   What other things do elderly folk like to eat?  

• Like 2

Tempeh needs late night snacks some nights or she bile vomits first thing in the morning. We let her guide us on what nights she needs them and how much. Why not try adding a snack before bedtime to see if it sees your girl through the night? As for the middle of the night toileting - I remember those nights! My almost 17 year old used to wear nappies as she was prone to thinking her butt was outside and letting it all go! But as soon as she'd stir or get off the bed I'd wake immediately worried what was going on. Maybe try a fun toilet break outside with her right before bed to see if she can hold out? Maybe you can add on the snack session to encourage her outside at that time of night? Mine wasn't able to do that but she also had dementia (blind and deaf and on a very strict diet due to pancreatitis). I had a lot of broken sleep over that last year!

• Like 1

Thanks LG - really helpful.  Yes the pattern has sure changed here over the last couple of nights.  It feels like we are entering Sarebear's final time.  The frustrating thing was up until three nights agao she slept really soundly overnight so hoping this is just a bad patch.   

I laughed at your 17 year old and her butt - Sarebear did exactly the same yesterday - stuck her butt off the matt and let go!!   

Yes I'll try a a fun snack and pee session at bedtime .  Any thoughts as to what to feed her so it induces sleep rather than overnight 'partying'?   

Thanks SM.  Mince and rice!  Good idea.  I should have thought of that. I might cook up a batch of rice and mix it with the mince and see how that goes too.   Its a good way to get a little healthy fat into her too. 

Edited by westiemum
  • Thanks 1

Yes the rice and mince is a great idea! Just something special for her and because it is natural hopefully it wont invigorate her too much. They live in the moment so she doesn't give a toss what time it is! She just knows she wants to poop and eat!

• Haha 1

Our geriatrics get milk and farex as there last meal topper and they all thrive and very content overnight ,our oldest is 15 .

We find the food to heavy ,our oldies may get 3/4 meals including there milk 

• Like 2

I would have thought the scrambled egg, butter and cheese a bit rich.  I always have rice and puréed vegetables to mix in with the dog food. Funnily enough, Jeune has started to ask for midnight snacks. Luckily she and Tamar still have no difficulty getting on and off the bed (they jump off and use the stairs to get back on) so no problems re toileting through the night.  

If you wanted to give her egg, what about hard boiled and mashed up in rice.  

Keep us posted as to what you do and how it turns out.   

scrambled egg & butter @ 2:30 ? add parsley, & I'm there !!  LOL 

Mince & rice for Sarah Image result for it's a yes from me  + meme    ..or even a coupl spoonsful of lovely creamyporridge  ( cooked creamy ..not with cream) pre cooked ..and warmed  to taste  :) 

Edited by persephone
  • Haha 1

@persephone  -You're  welcome to join Sarebear anytime!!  LOL!!

Excellent ideas - thanks all.    I know scrambled egg with butter and cheese sounds rich - but its a Maggie Beer recipe and Mac loved it in his last year or so!! And it was good way to keep weight on him and get a bit of sustained energy for him.  He didn't get a lot at once, but judging by the way he wolfed it down he loved it and it certainly didn't hurt him.  

So lots of good things to try - thanks all. :) 

• Like 1

Well that went down well!  Fifteen minutes ago, I put an egg in a mug with a tiny bit of butter and cream. and whisked it up.   Microwaved it for 45 seconds, stirred it and microwaved it again for 30 secs, put it in Sarah's bowl, cooled it with some water - and she wolfed it down!

Anyway thanks for your help everyone - really appreciated and I'll report back in the morning. Fingers and paws crossed!

• Like 2