What do you do when you get frustrated from dog training?

carnelian

14 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

I train off leash or using a flat collar and loose leash if I need to control access to the environment. I don't use it as a correction.

As the great Bob Bailey says about how training sessions should be carried out....Think. Plan. Do. Review.

That means, knowing what you've got, what you want and how you're going to get there. Video. Look at your timing. Note take. Set a timer. 2-3 min of awesome training is 100 times better than 10 minutes of slog.

Split. Don't lump.

Find the joy. Evaluate your dog. If you are not BOTH having fun, stop and re-set.

ill definitely  do that! actually did short training sessions this morning, and god it was so much fun for both me and Ahri(my dog), we ran around alolt together and we just focused on enjoying each others company, i really need to learn to chill lol and Ahri is teaching me how by being extra goofy this morning! super happy with how thigns are going atm, thanks for the comment aswell!

• Like 2

Here is a short challenge coming up to build your dogs engagement through the power of play - specifically tug

http://www.collared-scholar.com/event/7-days-play-free-challenge/

it will help help add an extra level  of enthusiasm to the relationship between you and your dogs. They will voluntarily look to you more because why fixate on a dog when having fun with owner?

• Like 2

Speaking personally I don't find choke chains/prongs (never used one on my dog but worked with dogs with them) FUN to use and thinking I have to correct the dog all the time is exhausting in itself. It really turns you off training. The anger you feel at the dog being non responsive is encouraged further with the corrections .. and I just feel training should not be that hard work. 

Dog reactivity is fear driven... as Thistle the dog mentioned.. other methods are much more effective and much better at building a strong relationship with your dog = happier more confidant dog who is more likely to work. You won't need to correct so much and hopefully feel much less frustrated with training. 

Another view which may not be popular but anti anxiety medication can be very effective short term whilst you work on the issue with dog reactivity making your dog more receptive to training. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a new 8 month old who was going to be used for breeding, but the breeder gave him to us as he’s missing a tooth in the bottom jaw.

anyway, we’re starting from scratch as he’s never been a full time inside dog, only knows how to ‘stand’ from showing...so training consists of the basics, plus manners - no jumping, mouthing, etc.

hes generally pretty good, though is a bit lazy so I limit training to 10 mins and it’s completed with the other dogs so he learns from them.

when he’s ‘fiesty’ I immediately stop any training and play games, like hide treats around the house and outside ehich all the dogs love to get rid of some energy as well as taking him for a walk.

theres just no point trying to train if they’re not listening as you will get frustrated and the dog may pick up bad habits.

• Like 2