Frenchie dies on flight :(

persephone

disturbing images :( , sorry . ( thanks for reminding me, Thistle ) 

A dog in a pet carrier designed to fit under an airline seat died after a flight attendant ordered its owner to instead put it in a plane's overhead locker on a United Airlines flight from Houston to New York.

When the plane landed, the black French bulldog's owner found it dead, passenger Maggie Gremminger said on Twitter.

"She sat in the airplane aisle on the floor crying, and all of [the] surrounding passengers were utterly stunned," Ms Gremminger said.

The dog was travelling with its owner, and her baby and young daughter, passenger June Lara said in a Facebook post.

"I held her baby as the mother attempted to resuscitate their 10-month-old puppy," he said.

"I cried with them three minutes later as she sobbed over his lifeless body."

Flight attendants had "assured the safety of the family's pet, so wearily, the mother agreed", Mr Lara said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-14/dog-dies-locked-in-united-airlines-plane-overhead-locker/9546198

Edited by persephone
  • Sad 3

Yes, the airline and the flight attendant need to be seriously seriously punished, but who in their right mind would put a puppy in an overhead locker?  You’d have to have a few marbles missing to even think for a second they’d be ventilated.  

This is horrible and that poor little dog; it makes me feel sick.  What on earth were the other customers thinking ... they heard the dog barking.  

What is wrong with people?  Everyone is at fault here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

one passenger went and said they could hear him crying and stratching in desperation then when silent.

cant believe no one realised the going silent was a big cause for major concern if not before that the time to act and get him out of there so tragic

• Sad 3

This is the stuff that nightmares are made of - should never have happened for so many reasons.

But I can sort of understand why no one may have twigged that the overhead lockers would cause suffocation.  Yes, they click down firmly, but they are still in the cabin (so pressurised) and I for one didn't know they had an airtight seal.

That does not take away from what the dog went through, or what any of the people now have to live with.  And it certainly does not mean that I think putting him up their was acceptable.  Even assuming people didn't realise about the airflow (or the inherent issues with the breeds breathing issues) - it was guaranteed to be uncomfortable, dark, scary, noisy, bumpy etc

3 hours ago, BDJ said:

But I can sort of understand why no one may have twigged that the overhead lockers would cause suffocation.  Yes, they click down firmly, but they are still in the cabin (so pressurised) and I for one didn't know they had an airtight seal.

Really!!  Think on this.  Would you put your dog in a small carry-on crate and then shut him up in a drawer in your bedroom cupboard? 

• Like 2

Please read my full comments - taking one line out of context does not help

I said - not acceptable, wrong on so many levels, and heartbreaking. !!!!!

My comment about the overhead lockers being airtight was in response to people (here and other places) stating that it should be obvious to everyone that the overhead lockers are not ventilated (and in some cases that 'everyone' would know they were airtight).  I personally dont think everyone would think that given they are in the main cabin.   BUT that does not mean I believe a living anything should be put up there.

Two separate points I was trying (and apparently failing to make).  Should a living entity be put in a locker.  NO.  Would I know they were airtight.  NO (and I would never find that out, cos I would not put a living dog/person/cat or bloody guinea pig in there.

As a Frenchie owner I am as appalled at the airline as I am the owner, Frenchies all have compromised breathing in some way compared to non braccy breeds to not get up and check the dog in 3 hours is disgusting, to allow it is just as appalling. People get up to get things out of their bag all of the time, I am sorry but the owner is just as responsible in my view

Edited by casowner

36 minutes ago, casowner said:

As a Frenchie owner I am as appalled at the airline as I am the owner, Frenchies all have compromised breathing in some way compared to non braccy breeds to not get up and check the dog in 3 hours is disgusting, to allow it is just as appalling. People get up to get things out of their bag all of the time, I am sorry but the owner is just as responsible in my view

Totally agree.  What an example for the children.   

The woman had a baby and a small child and apparently there was a lot of turbulence. I read that even though the dog cried and scratched for quite some time and it could easily be heard there was an inability for the owner to get up and check the pup during the flight because of the turbulence and I can imagine caring for 2 young children was also her priority, particularly if the flight was rough. Noone else checked on the dog either (maybe also due to turbulence and having to stay belted in their seats) but apparently another passenger did try to call the airline to double check the policy on having the dog under her seat but phone reception was poor. I have to say though if that was me I'd have gotten off the flight if I was being told something different on the plane than I'd been told when I booked my ticket. It's such a big risk. It actually shits me how passengers dump their stuff all over the floor rather than put them safely under the seats or in the seat back pockets because in bad turbulence or a mid-flight disaster all that stuff can become projectiles. Flight attendants often don't seem to care either but this one was way over the top about it. Safety is really important but so is following their own rules. The dogs can either fly in with passengers meeting certain safety conditions (for them and the passengers) or they have to go in the hold in an airline approved carrier. Noone in their right mind would think a locked, dark box was a great place to store an animal. You don't lock your dog in the boot when you go for a drive or in a small closed cupboard at home for hours. If you can't or don't put a human there then you don't put a pet there because we all need some similar things (like air circulation and controlled temps) to survive.

On 15/03/2018 at 4:41 PM, BDJ said:

Please read my full comments - taking one line out of context does not help

I said - not acceptable, wrong on so many levels, and heartbreaking. !!!!!

My comment about the overhead lockers being airtight was in response to people (here and other places) stating that it should be obvious to everyone that the overhead lockers are not ventilated (and in some cases that 'everyone' would know they were airtight).  I personally dont think everyone would think that given they are in the main cabin.   BUT that does not mean I believe a living anything should be put up there.

Two separate points I was trying (and apparently failing to make).  Should a living entity be put in a locker.  NO.  Would I know they were airtight.  NO (and I would never find that out, cos I would not put a living dog/person/cat or bloody guinea pig in there.

You said, “I can sort of understand.....”.  No, it is incomprehensible.