Registration of dog owners

Sagarika

Do you mean as a breeder or as just an owner.

If its as an owner go to your local council and they will tell you what you need to do.

Yes you need to register every dog on your property, you will get concessions if your dog/s are de-sexed.

Someone else will tell you how much it is to be a breeder, it can become very expensive after all the costs of showing and breeding.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!  Are you asking about Australia or an overseas country?

In Australia, dogs are registered rather than their owners. Each dog must be registered separately, and prices may differ between states and according to other factors e.g. whether or not the dog is desexed. For example, here’s the prices for NSW: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/content/registration-fees

ETA I also note Gillybob’s comments of which I was unaware!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

6 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Welcome to the forum!  Are you asking about Australia or an overseas country?

In Australia, dogs are registered rather than their owners. Each dog must be registered separately, and prices may differ between states and according to other factors e.g. whether or not the dog is desexed. For example, here’s the prices for NSW: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/content/registration-fees

ETA I also note Gillybob’s comments of which I was unaware!

Wow yes they are different! In SA we must pay up annually and we don’t have discounts on shelter dogs as far as I’m aware :/

ETA......picture showing the fees in my district of SA

A541A613-0CA9-4A53-8A4C-7EA12A73B89F.png

Edited by mingaling

And My district:

Redland City Council, Qld

Puppy

Standard registration: $59.90

Microchipped: $49.20

Pensioner: $29.95

Pensioner and microchipped: $24.60

Adult dog (aged over six months)

Standard registration: $119.20

Microchipped: $108.50

Desexed: $59.90

Desexed and microchipped: $49.20

Pensioner: $59.60

Pensioner and microchipped: $54.25

Pensioner and desexed: $29.95

Pensioner, desexed and microchipped: $24.60

In Victoria, registration is renewed yearly. Different councils and shires have different fees. but State law requires that there is to be a 50% discount (minimum) for desexed dogs and cats and for pets owned by members of Approved Organistions (such as DogsVic and some Cat registries.)

There has been legislation passed recently that foster carers registered with council will have low short term rates for dogs in care, which will help the rescues immensely as there have been occasions where council registration has been held by State courts to be proof of ownership and animals have been more or less stolen from rescues by there foster carers. It is great to have the new system where it will be obvious to a judge which pets are being fostered and which are  fully owned.

In my rural shire, the basic annual fees for last year were:
Group 1 Fee: $123.00
 Any dog or cat not described under Group 2
 Any Dangerous, Menacing, or Restricted breed dog
Group 2 Fee: $42.00
 Dogs used for working stock
 Any animal over the age of 10 years
 Any animal which has been desexed (Proof required)
 Any animal approved with an approved organization such as VCA, FCC, CFA, etc
 Animals kept for commercial breeding 
Dogs who have completed obedience training with an Approved Obedience Training Organisation below (Proof required):
 Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.  The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc.  Dogs Victoria Four Paws K9 Training

A discount of 50% is available to eligible persons on presentation of a Pensioner Concession Card, Veteran’s Affairs Card or Veteran’s Affairs War Widow Card. Health Care Cards are not accepted. My shire will give the 50% pensioner discount after the fee. so for instance a desexed dog will cost a pensioner $21 per year.

Edited to add that councils are not permitted, by law, to newly register a dog that has not been microchipped, Since by law, all dogs and cats must be registered microchipping is compulsory. There may be a very few elderly dogs that may have been registered before this law came in (2001) that were registered before then and have continued to be registered in the same council for all those years, but I wouldn't think there would be too many.

Edited by RuralPug

@gillybob  it is high. Just got my renewal notice for this coming year. I need to pay $21.80 for each dog I have here (I am a DogsVic member, and a pensioner, and of course the fosters are all desexed but my showdogs are entire) so looks like the basic rate has increased again this year.

Even so, my Shire is a very long way off having one of the most expensive registration fees in Victoria! City of Casey (just South of Melbourne) is $190 annually. There may be higher fees elsewhere of which I don't know.)