Dog Bed Recommendation

luffy4688

Hello fellow dolers, I am looking for a new dog bed for my furry friend. Hoping someone could recommend me something that:

- Doesn't attract dog hair. What I mean is, there are certain materials where it dog fur loves to 'stick' on too, which is what I'm hoping to avoid

- Easy to clean. Hopefully it can be wiped down with a wet cloth easily.

I've did a bit of research and have come across the 2 below from Snooza. Does anyone use them and would you recommend them? Happy to hear out other suggestions as well!

https://www.snooza.com.au/indoor-beds/newport

https://www.snooza.com.au/indoor-beds/d1000

Thank you!

I have heard good things about Snooza (particularly the D1000), Henry Hottie, and Orvis beds, but I cannot comment on the dog fur issue as I haven’t used any of them. Others here have though and I’m sure they’ll chime in. :) 

Edited by Papillon Kisses

29 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I have heard good things about Snooza (particularly the D1000), Henry Hottie, and Orvis beds, but I cannot comment on the dog fur issue as I haven’t used any of them. Others here have a though and I’m sure they’ll chime in. :) 

Thanks Papillon Kisses. I've had a look at Orvis and do love their beds! Does anyone know if there is a local Aussie importer?

I love Pods4Pets :) Machine washable, easy dry cover that doesn't show dirt, and all the separate parts (cushion, inner liner, cover) can be purchased on their own if something gets worn out or if you want a change of cover. Not wipeable, you'd have to brush the hair off. But they are so comfy, favourites in my house!

OK - first up declared biased Orvis user here ( and so is Roova). 

Unfortunately Orvis no longer ship dog beds to Australia (but they ship larger furniture protectors - go figure).  You have to use a freight forwarding service (and you need to be careful as that can cost the GDP of a small country).  Having said that, IMO they are the best dog beds on the planet  bar none and worth every cent.  

Why?  They are the only dog beds I know which use such high quality fabric and where the  inner foam is protected by a zip-off waterproof cover underneath the outer fabric cover.  The fabric is fantastic and the dog fur doesn't 'stick'.  Yes they are easy to clean - unzip, throw in the washing machine.  Excellent quality zips.  My dog beds are in the lounge (except for one in the bedroom) so I wanted them to look decent - and I don't think there is a better looking dog bed on the market anywhere. :) 

The Orvis lounger (below with my old girl with the pink pants) is now 2.5 years old, it washes like a rag and still looks like new.  It was the waterproof inner lining which swung me to this bed as my old girl is occasionally incontinent and dog beds don't last at all well with an incontinent dog.  The donut bed with the fleece lining and my boy in it is the same - waterproof inner lining over the memory foam and is holding up very well.  But best of all my westies absolutely adore them. 

My spoiled westies also have two Henry Hotties - fantastic beds, Australian made, nowhere near as expensive as Orvis and the company who make them are soooo obliging.  But... they are not waterproof lined and they are not standing up to punishment  (incontinence, frequent washing) anywhere near as well as the Orvis beds.   If you have an elderly or ill incontinent dog I don't think they are as good and will require far more frequent replacing.   

I predict that the Orvis will 'outlive' two, possibly three of the Henry Hotties and  I will spend more replacing the Henry Hotties in the longer term than I spent on the Orvis beds (despite their huge expense). So I suppose its really a question of do you want to spend that much money?  In my case, for sheer quality and longevity of dog beds it's Orvis hands down and I'd do it again in a heart beat.  The waterproof liners and fabric quality are second to none IMO. :) . But if money is tight , then the Henry Hotties are a good buy.

Hope that helps.

IMG_3251.thumb.jpg.8563901b731b6fb2a4b454394caf2ec0.jpg IMG_3252.thumb.jpg.2927147554564a2a89833751c0a0e131.jpg

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 1

I have been happy with the Henry hottie beds. The Kelpies love them and the Lappie will throw a tantrum if she doesn’t have one in the room at night. They often choose them over the human bed. 

I dont get any fur sticking to them. I do give them a quick vac when we have fur bunnies floating around. They look great after that. 

• Like 1

Too late now but from what I can see you can still buy Orvis covers and have them sent to Oz.  That's what I did and stuffed it myself here which saved a bomb. 

As Westiemum said I'm a huge fan too. Ive washed my Orvis bed numerous times and both dogs have slept on it every night for years. If they could just make a human bed as comfortable I'd be happy lol. 

2018-03-18_03-35-48

Edited by Roova
  • Like 2

Love your photos Roova - it's very similar here.  I also have a very plain memory foam Orvis platform bed and Sarebear often sleeps half on and half off it! 

Just buying the Orvis covers is a good idea!  I'd forgotten that you can do that.  And given how expensive freight forwarding has become buying the Orvis covers and then having the memory foam cut here has become relatively so much more affordable now than importing the whole bed.  

Roova one question - did your Orvis beds come with waterproof inner linings or was it just the outer fabric cover? Just curious. :)

Edited by westiemum

I don't think they're waterproof?   It has about six mesh inserts which I stuffed with bags of stuffing (not memory foam) then they slip in to zipped pockets to make the base and sides. I don't have oldies yet but I can see that would be very handy to have in a bed! 

• Like 1

You're right Roova - the fabric cover isn't waterproof, but the inner liner is!  And although its not completely clear in the listing on the Orvis website, the reviews suggest that when you order a cover that usually has a separate inner liner, the liner comes as well!!  Yay!!   And sooooo much cheaper!   And yep - the liner has saved my arse with my almost 17 year old many times!   

• Like 1

On 18/03/2018 at 8:23 PM, westiemum said:

Just buying the Orvis covers is a good idea!  I'd forgotten that you can do that.  And given how expensive freight forwarding has become buying the Orvis covers and then having the memory foam cut here has become relatively so much more affordable now than importing the whole bed.  X

Any recommendations where you can buy and have memory foam cut to size? 

Yep Clark Rubber was where I priced it years ago - and the price difference was so minimal including the memory foam that I just imported the whole bed.  But how times change - so importing the cover and liner and having the memory foam cut to size here is a great idea. 

Ooh beds!!!

i love dog beds. We literally have 5 around the house even though the dogs sleep on our bed when we’re at work.

just about to get a new pup so sometime down the road will need a comfy bed.

(he will be crate trained first)

New puppy!!!!! Another field, a lagotto or something else?

back on topic, I love dog beds too.... 2 dogs here and 7 beds around the house 

Both Snoozas you mention have had great reviews in the past.

We've had 2 Kramar ones (don't think they make them anymore) for 13 years now and they're still looking great after a cover change. 

We should receive next week a pair of Snooza buddy beds 

https://www.snooza.com.au/indoor-beds/buddy-bed

to replace their night bolster beds... my guys seem to like having soft walled beds grey can snuggle into or rest their head over.

i do like the idea of Orvis beds.

Not really a bad as such, but mollymutt https://www.mollymutt.com.au/ does great covers. I stuff mine with old pillows and they seem pretty comfy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2018 at 10:28 AM, fbaudry said:

New puppy!!!!! Another field, a lagotto or something else?

Another Field. :champagne:

he was in the crate for 3 nights before we discovered that he can hold his bladder and hasn’t soiled in the house in 3 weeks.

hes um *cough* sleeping on our bed. Started at the end of the bed, but this week has crept up to sleep between us on our pillows, with one of us having him snoring / breathing in our ear.

aww. :heart:

such a cuddle pot.

so no need for a bed, but I will start a new thread to discuss another topic to not take over this one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1