six rare-breed dog owners back bid to boost ‘endangered’ dogs

Boronia

Love the otterhound and Glens

The Cavalier is a surprise (and maybe she snores as she is a little chunkie)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5714747/otterhound-king-charles-spaniel-rare-dog-breeds/

DOGS THAT FASHION FORGOT

From the otterhound to Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the Scottish deerhound, six rare-breed dog owners back bid to boost ‘endangered’ pooches

Dog welfare organisation The Kennel Club has launched its Save the Forgotten Dog Breeds campaign to promote the likes of the Welsh corgi and fox terrier

By Emma Pietras
3rd March 2018, 12:53 am
Updated: 3rd March 2018, 3:54 am

WITH just a few hundred left in the country, the once-popular otterhound is now said to be more in danger of becoming extinct than the giant panda or white rhino.

And it is not the only native dog breed struggling for survival as the fashion for newer arrivals, such as pugs and French bulldogs, soars.

Horus the otterhound, pictured with puppy Umpire, is one of the few hundred remaining of the breed in the UK
DAN CHARITY - THE SUN

Horus the otterhound, pictured with puppy Umpire, is one of the few hundred remaining of the breed in the UK

Of the UK’s 220 dog breeds, the top seven — the labrador, French bulldog, cocker spaniel, pug, springer spaniel, bulldog and golden retriever — produce more new puppies every year than the remaining 214 breeds COMBINED.

Now dog welfare organisation The Kennel Club has launched its Save the Forgotten Dog Breeds campaign to promote the likes of the Welsh corgi and fox terrier.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club secretary, said: “People are opting for the fashionable or obvious choices.
“We strongly encourage anyone thinking about getting a dog to consider lesser-known breeds.”

Here, we meet six rare-breed owners who explain why their beloved pooches make such wonderful pets.

Harriet Buckley pictured with her six Dandie Dinmont terriers
2018 RICHARD WALKER/ IMAGENORTH

Harriet Buckley pictured with her six Dandie Dinmont terriers

• The Dogs Trust has a number of rare breeds that need rehoming.
  • See dogstrust.org.uk.

Horus the otterhound

Maria loves to lark about with Horus the otterhound
DAN CHARITY - THE SUN

Maria loves to lark about with Horus the otterhound

HORUS is known for being a bit of a clown, which is typical of otterhounds, Britain’s rarest dog breed.

And until recently, the six-year-old was the cheekiest member of Maria Lerego’s household.

But that all changed for Horus, when one of Maria’s other otterhounds, Iolanthe, had a new litter of puppies.

Horus’s favourite thing is to fall asleep on the sofa upside down

MariaGardener

Gardener Maria, 58, who breeds the dogs as a hobby, has ten adult otterhounds and thinks they make the perfect pet.

Maria, of Hereford, says: “They’re not constantly looking to the owner for attention.

“They’re loving but not clingy. They make me laugh a lot. They seem to know that if you laugh they have won the argument if you are having a discussion.”

Horus the otterhound, pictured with Umpire, 'makes the perfect pet' says Maria
DAN CHARITY - THE SUN

Horus the otterhound, pictured with Umpire, 'makes the perfect pet' says Maria

The puppies do not grow their distinctive long shaggy coat until they are much older – and they do not need a lot of upkeep.

Maria says: “They don’t moult. And while they may not look sophisticated or elegant, I think their appearance gives them lots of character.

“Horus’s favourite thing is to fall asleep on the sofa upside down. He loves long walks and paddling in rivers, but not swimming, as he doesn’t like to go in too deep.”

Breeding-dog Horus is jointly owned by Maria and by Jan Court from Somerset.

TYPICAL PRICE: Around £1,200

Dodie & May the Glen of Imaal terriers

Dodie and May cause a stir wherever they go and love playing in the snow
PAUL TONGE - THE SUN

Dodie and May cause a stir wherever they go and love playing in the snow

TEACHER Paul Smith is a bit of a celebrity in his home city of Nottingham – as Dodie and May cause a stir wherever they go.

Paul, 54, says: “People always ask what breed they are. When I say it’s a rare one, they say, ‘I know my dog breeds’. Then when I tell them they are Glen of Imaal terriers, they say, ‘What? Whereabouts in Scotland?’. But the breed is actually Irish.”

Paul Smith, 54, has to drag his two Glen of Imaal terriers out for walkies sometimes
PAUL TONGE - THE SUN

Paul Smith, 54, has to drag his two Glen of Imaal terriers out for walkies sometimes

But that is only if he can drag Dodie, nine, and five-year-old May outside for walkies in the first place.

Paul says: “Glens are inclined to be lazy and certainly don’t like the rain. If it’s wet outside, they go into reverse. They do need firm leadership.” Paul and wife Sally, 60, a caretaker, got Dodie as a puppy for their son Henry, now 21.

Paul and wife Sally, 60, pictured with their beloved pooches
PAUL TONGE - THE SUN

Paul and wife Sally, 60, pictured with their beloved pooches

Now both dogs are playmates for their 32-year-old daughter Amy’s sons Thomas and Benjamin.

Sally says: “When Dodie was having her puppies she waited until Henry was home until she produced the first one, and that was May.

“Dodie loves cuddly toys and helps herself whenever she spots one – but then chews them up.

“May takes one of my gloves or hats to bed every night but never chews them.”

TYPICAL PRICE: From £800

Hector the fox terrier

Lorna says living with Hector can be like a day with a small child
OLIVIA WEST

Lorna says living with Hector can be like a day with a small child

HE is not one for barking, but two-year-old Hector does have owner Lorna Hickson in stitches with the unusual noises he makes.

Lorna, 55, from Ealing, West London, says: “They’re very funny. If he’s hungry he makes a noise like a cat and when he goes to sleep he makes a ‘hmmm’ noise. It’s like a satisfied sigh.”

But she adds that it can be like living with a small child.

Hector 'is very sneaky and loves to steal tea towels'
OLIVIA WEST
Hector 'is very sneaky and loves to steal tea towels'

Lorna says: “He makes me laugh every day but he can drive me up the wall.

“He’s very sneaky and loves to steal tea towels, which are his prized possession. Fox terriers are very wilful and not for the fainthearted.

“If you want a dog to roll over and be soppy that’s not a fox terrier.”

Hector the fox terrier pictured enjoying the snow with Lorna, 55, from West London
OLIVIA WEST

Hector the fox terrier pictured enjoying the snow with Lorna, 55, from West London

Hector, who has gained fans worldwide since joining Instagram, has inspired Lorna, who was made redundant from her recruitment job, to think about retraining to work in dog behaviour.

She says: “He’s changed my life. I organise fox terrier fun walks and have made lots of friends.

“I know everyone on my street now because I can’t go for walks without people stopping me.

“Everyone thinks he’s amazing.”

TYPICAL PRICE: £500 to £1,000

The Dandie Dinmont terriers

David, Harriet and Christina Buckley pictured with their six terriers

David, Harriet and Christina Buckley pictured with their six terriers

BETWEEN them, Christina Buckley and daughter Harriet own six Dandie Dinmont terriers, and Christina says she would love more – if only husband David, 72, a retired builder, would let her.

Christina, 52, runs Mutt Cutz dog grooming business with Harriet, 23, above, from their home in Sheffield.

She fell in love with the breed more than 30 years ago after grooming one for a client. But it took her 18 years until she managed to track one down for herself.

It took Christina 18 years to track down one of the pups herself
2018 RICHARD WALKER/ IMAGENORTH

It took Christina 18 years to track down one of the pups herself

Talking about her pets, Christina says: “Daisy is a prima donna and only does what she wants when she feels like it.

“Little Mo is very loving and really gentle. Ronnie is a proper mummy’s boy. He often sits and stares at me. Stumpy is a little devil. He runs up and down the garden and won’t leave the house without stealing someone’s shoe.

“Valentino is very chatty and his sister Violetta is a show girl. She is very pretty. They are the youngest and are double trouble.”

TYPICAL PRICE: Around £1,000

Top of the pups

20 rarest breeds:

1. Otterhound
  2. Skye terrier
  3. Glen of Imaal terrier
  4. Field spaniel
  5. Curley-coated retriever
  6. Sussex spaniel
  7. Smooth collie
  8. Irish water spaniel
  9. Irish red & white setter
  10. Fox terrier
  11. English toy terrier
  12. Bloodhound
  13. Norwich terrier
  14. Cavalier King Charles spaniel
  15. Lancashire heeler
  16. Dandie Dinmont terrier
  17. Welsh corgi
  18. Kerry blue terrier
  19. Manchester terrier
  20. Mastiff

7 most popular:

1. Labrador retriever
  2. French bulldog
  3. Cocker spaniel
  4. Pug
  5. English springer spaniel
  6. Bulldog
  7. Golden retriever

Jessie the Cavalier King Charles spaniel

Jack, 11, Sam, eight, and Harry, three, pictured with Jessie the Cavalier King Charles spaniel
JOHN MCLELLAN

Jack, 11, Sam, eight, and Harry, three, pictured with Jessie the Cavalier King Charles spaniel

SIX-YEAR-OLD Jessie snores so loudly she has to sleep downstairs so the rest of the house can get some rest.

The Cavalier King Charles spaniel lives in Leighton Buzzard, Beds, with trainee teaching assistant Sarah Rickard, 37, her husband Ian, 38, an RAC area manager, and their kids Jack, 11, Sam, eight, and Harry, three.

The breed is prone to heart defects and brain illness caused by malformed skulls.

Jessie snores so loudly she has to sleep downstairs to avoid waking kids up
JOHN MCLELLAN

Jessie snores so loudly she has to sleep downstairs to avoid waking kids up

Sarah, pictured with Jessie, whose Cavalier King Charles spaniel breed is prone to heart defects
JOHN MCLELLAN

Sarah, pictured with Jessie, whose Cavalier King Charles spaniel breed is prone to heart defects

Sarah says: “Cavaliers love being around people but she can’t sleep upstairs because she snores like a train. If she falls asleep when we’re watching TV we have to turn it right up.

“She’s got stumpy little legs and is a bit rotund and when she tries to jump on our bed she just bounces off.

“Her nickname is snuffle pig because when you take her for walks she does not come up for air – she eats anything. That’s probably why she’s a bit overweight.”

TYPICAL PRICE: From £500

The Cavalier is a bit surprising just based on rarity or registration numbers. I would definitely have expected the KING CHARLES SPANIEL to be on the list, not the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! 

Possibly it’s one of those breeds that due to popularity swings has become more numerical outside of the kennel club registration system, which is where the numbers in the article would come from, so although popular and abundant, actual registered pedigree specimens have declined??

This may attract flames, but I see no harm in letting breeds go extinct, or creating new ones (presuming there's an adequate gene pool begind the new breed).  If a breed has a specific purpose and that purpose is gone, and there has been no success repurposing the breed, let it go.  When numbers get too low, genetic problems mount.

Dog breeds are NOT species, or even subspecies.  Some land races may have been around for thousands of years, but those were open breeding populations, with selection by fitness to purpose.  Closed populations are less viable. It's ok that some of them go extinct.

Canis domesticus is a huge variable and adaptable specie.  It does evolve with the times. I see no need for living museum pieces.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

When numbers get too low, genetic problems mount.

combine this with showroom standards as the opposite to "fit-for-purpose" benchmarks and you have the perfect recipe for an unhealthy creature.

On 21/03/2018 at 2:57 PM, mingaling said:

The Cavalier is a bit surprising just based on rarity or registration numbers. I would definitely have expected the KING CHARLES SPANIEL to be on the list, not the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! 

Possibly it’s one of those breeds that due to popularity swings has become more numerical outside of the kennel club registration system, which is where the numbers in the article would come from, so although popular and abundant, actual registered pedigree specimens have declined??

The Kennel Club list that seems to have inspired the article has the King Charles on it, not the Cavalier, looks like maybe the article made a mistake. The pictured dog looks more like a King Charles too. 

1 hour ago, karen15 said:

For those like me who don't know the difference between a King Charles Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

https://janedogs.com/cavalier-king-charles-and-king-charles-spaniel/

I also looked it up Karen, I like the Cavalier's best...at least they have a muzzle and have a more outgoing personality... personal preference obviously, I like dogs that are varminty and out of the two the Cavalier is the nearest (though has a long way to go in the varminty stakes) :laugh:

On 23/03/2018 at 9:12 AM, tdierikx said:

Maybe the decline in Terrier breeds is due to housing and lifestyles? They do require a fair bit of exercise and stimulation, don't they?

T.

Yes I guess some could be described as 'a lot of dog'. :-D 

• Haha 1