Cordless Vacuum Recommendation

luffy4688

Per the title, I am looking for a cordless vacuum cleaner. To provide a bit of background:

1. I have carpeted floors and a corgi. Not the best combination, I know!

2. I already have a corded barrel Dyson, which does a good job. But due to the size and layout, I am required to unplug and replug to different power outlets throughout the house to vacuum the entire house. As such, I would prefer a cordless one which would make life easier. 

3. I am happy to pay the price for a Dyson Handstick if it's worth the money. So would be keen to hear out fellow owners' experience with carpet.

Looking forward to hearing some opinions and recommendation!

1 hour ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

#2 ..  First World Problem :laugh:  :laugh:

Info about the newest Dyson cordless ($899) popped into my emails the other day, so I’ll be watching what people have to say.  From what I’ve read in the past, it is either love them or hate them.  

Hahaha! Definitely a first world problem! 

I am able to get the Dyson Handstick V8 Absolute for 25% off through work. But with the new V10 coming out, I'd rather wait and see if it's significantly better. The employee discount however, does not apply to newly released products. :( There might be cheaper options out there, which I'd be more than glad to know!

Edited by luffy4688

They are much less annoying to use with the lack of cable. I was worried it would make my hand ache but it doesn't. But I don't feel that they cope super well with pet hair or long human hair. You will be spending quite a lot of time unclogging the brush etc. Mine scratched my wooden floor because a little wheel got jammed on the bottom and wasn't turning properly. 

3 minutes ago, JulesP said:

Mine scratched my wooden floor because a little wheel got jammed on the bottom and wasn't turning properly. 

I find this happens with all sorts of vacuum heads :(  :(  when little pieces of hard dirt get embedded in rollers, etc.    I have a barrel type vacuum cleaner I bought 13 years ago when I moved here and still had some rooms carpeted.  It is still going strong, but is a bit of a beast to move around.  

I also have an Ergorapido cordless which is great for doing a quick whip around vacuum and it removes to the little hand held for cleaning cars, furniture, window sills, etc etc.   But it is still bulky and as I get increasingly stiff and achy, I keep looking for easy ways to do things and easier to use implements.   

I've got a deebot 12 in 1 from crazy sales. Cost $320. She's a robo vac (also mops) and I adore her! I have not used my vacuum cleaner in the last year and floors and rugs look great. She vacuums the carpet in the bedrooms and does a great job. I've got long hair and dogs are a cocker and westie.

I would highly recommend, especially if you have mostly wooden / tiles / vinyl.

Guest crazydoglady99

We have the Dyson v-whatever the heck it is.

I definitely fall I to the hate it category. I much prefer just using a long extension cord for my bigger Dyson, I love love love my regular Dyson. The stick one is a pile of garbage. 

It's too heavy for my hands, it barely picks up anything. 

4 hours ago, animallover99 said:

We have the Dyson v-whatever the heck it is.

I definitely fall I to the hate it category. I much prefer just using a long extension cord for my bigger Dyson, I love love love my regular Dyson. The stick one is a pile of garbage. 

It's too heavy for my hands, it barely picks up anything. 

Interesting! Is it the V8? Or V6? Also, do you have carpeted floors? 

Guest crazydoglady99

V6

I have tiles & carpets. In my old house  I had floor boards. Its ok on carpet, but useless on hard floor. I have every single attachment bit they make.

Lots of people love them. Hubby bought it because 'everyone at his work raves about them', but for me, the effort just isn't worth the results!

We have the V6 Absolute, and I have no complaints about it. Great for doing the stairs and other "touch up" jobs. We have tiles downstairs and I've never had the sort of issues that animallover99 is reporting.

Oh - unless the dogs have decided to bring in mulch. Neither of the vacuums seem to like sucking up mulch chips very much.  However, it does fine with bird seed; long Setter hair; piles of GSD hair; random mud and grime;  the odd twig...

But I don't think I would want to vacuum the whole house with it. I'm sure that would be slower than using the barrel with its wider heads.

I have a Dyson handstick animal V-something (its about 5 years old now). Its good for quick vacuums on carpet but my Dyson upright still does a far better job.

I use the handstick for during the week (I have 2 pugs so vacuum every 2-3 days) all over the house and then on the weekends I pull out the upright and do a "proper" job. Its amazing how much more hair the upright pulls out.

• 2 months later...

We have the V10 absolute and I love it it’s a life changer comes with every attachment you could imagine great for the car gets all of the hair off with ease as there is a smaller power head with brushes it’s brilliant I also use it on my bed all over. 

My husband nagged me for ages to get one kept saying I’m not spending 1000 on another vacuum as I did not like the original stick but they have nailed it this time. 

I have large German Shepherd and Shepherd cross Samoyed so I use it daily .

you won’t look back !

I've no idea which model I have, but I had tiles and carpets at the old house and the stick dyson did very well as a 'between main cleans touch-up'. Particularly after I spent a hour or two unclogging the head. :hitself:  

I've had my Dyson V6 for a couple of years now. I am finding I spend more time unclogging it now than actually using it to vacuum. The only thing I can think of is that the engine stops working as well, it doesn't suck as strongly so more hair gets tangled in the roller bits. It is amazing where hair actually gets into... I pulled it apart yesterday because it wasn't working again and dunno how the bit that was clogged up got clogged up. 

Pretty much never cleaned my Dyson barrel and I've had that for about 13 years.