voluntarily recall ADVANCE Dermocare dry dog food products

Boronia

https://www.advancepet.com.au/

Image may contain: text
Advance PetLike Page
2 hrs · 

Mars Petcare Australia is voluntarily recalling ADVANCE Dermocare dry dog food products in 3kg, 8kg and 15kg bags. We advise dog owners who have purchased this product to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. These bags will have been purchased from speciality retailers and veterinarians. No other ADVANCE products or varieties are affected.

The health and wellbeing of Australian pets is our number one priority, so we were deeply concerned to learn that a number of dogs have been affected by megaoesophagus – a condition that is generally not associated with food. We have run hundreds of tests on ADVANCE Dermocare and no link has been found between the condition and our product.

Regardless, we are voluntarily recalling these products as a precaution while we work to get to the bottom of the issue as soon as we can. Concerned pet owners should contact their veterinarian, or our Consumer Care team on 1800 640 111 or via private message. Up to date information can be found on our website https://www.advancepet.com.au

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 1

I had a 4 week old pup euthanised after being diagnosed with congenital (ie developmental) mega and PRAA. Awful, awful experience. 

Normally it’s genetic or congenital but can be caused by toxins such as lead or botulism. I hope they find the cause ASAP...the food is not the confirmed source only a suspicion. 

There was this news from The Canberra Times (Victoria)

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/victoria/food-being-investigated-as-possible-cause-of-police-dog-death-20180323-p4z5zy.html

Food being investigated as possible cause of police dog death

One police dog is dead and eight are unwell after developing an incurable illness that could be related to pet food.

Victoria Police Inspector Jon Woodyatt, of the dog squad, said the police dogs were diagnosed with a condition called Megaesophagus which first emerged in December.

Nine police dogs have fallen sick.

Nine police dogs have fallen sick. Photo: Eddie Jim

"In total, we had nine dogs take ill and unfortunately one of those were severe enough that it had to be put down," Inspector Woodyatt said.

"The symptoms can vary ... the actual condition affects the oesophagus, which is the tube which comes from the mouth to the dog's stomach."

Inspector Woodyatt said the disease enlarged the esophagus, causing it to lose its muscule tone.

This meant the dog had difficulty swallowing, could vomit, and could develop  pneumonia, he said.

"The dog can also lose condition because it is not getting adequate nutrition ... then we have to consider euthanising the dog if it gets to the severe end of the scale."

Inspector Woodyatt said two of the eight dogs diagnosed with the disease were severely ill but he could not say whether any more dogs would be put down.

He said the cause of the disease was not known, though it was not contagious.

"It is described as an 'idiopathic condition,' meaning that they can either be congenital or the cause is not known," Inspector Woodyatt said.

"We are still exploring quite a number of factors as to why our dogs are affected.

"The investigation is still ongoing. We haven't particularly identified the cause."

He said food was one of the factors they were investigating.

Inspector Woodyatt said the dogs, which were aged between two to eight years, ranged in the severity of their illness.

He said most of the dogs were still able to work.

Inspector Woodyatt said he didn't know when the investigation's results would be available.

"It is quite a complex investigation ... there are number of scientific tests and we are sending stuff overseas," he said.

Earlier, Inspector Woodyatt told 3AW the diagnosis of nine dogs from the one area was extremely rare and unheard of in veterinary circles.

He said the illness was across two breeds of dog, German shepherd and labrador.

"We are saddened that one police dog has been put down as a result of the condition which can hamper adequate nutrition," Inspector Woodyatt said.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Kajirin said:

Surely there'd be more cases Australia wide if it was the food?  

That’s why I was wondering if it’s the way it’s been stored. Although if there were random cases popping up vets might assume it was genetic. Not often breeders stay in close touch with their puppy people like I do. 

I also thought (besides the genetic component which shouldn't be ignored) if it could be caused by cleanibg/psesticide products on grass/kennel areas? 

I mean, props to advance for doing a recall and continuing to test but it seems less likely to be food than other issues given you'd expect food to have made other dogs outside of the service industry ill too. 

1 hour ago, mackiemad said:

I mean, props to advance for doing a recall and continuing to test but it seems less likely to be food than other issues given you'd expect food to have made other dogs outside of the service industry ill too. 

I was never really asked what I was feeding to my adult dog when she was diagnosed. But I bet vets are asking about food in more depth now. Which is a bit late for the dogs recently diagnosed.

I find that Mercola can be OTT much of the time but have some good tips when it comes to non-pasteurised apple cider vinegar, though even then they seem to exaggerate the benefits.

You can always find articles on-line that seem scientific but are just depressingly bogus and use their in-house clinical 'trials' to suit their own ends

14 hours ago, Ingrid and chips said:

ah, urea - it is dosed to corn and soya in stockfood to increase the growth rate for herbivores, but it is toxic for cats and dogs. That could be a plausible cause: high corn ratio in Advance Dermocare combined with a cheap source for corn that was meant for stock food.

• Like 1

Noticed family pets have been affected now.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/police-dog-dead-eight-more-sick-due-to-rare-cluster-illness/news-story/6de1452b70c7adb63b1d276460268c53

Police dog dead, more sick due to ‘rare’ cluster illness

Aneeka Simonis, EXCLUSIVE, Sunday Mail (SA)
March 24, 2018 10:25pm

A POPULAR premium dog food linked to the deaths of several police dogs is now believed responsible for several fatalities involving family pets.

The Sunday Herald Sun has learned that at least two pet dogs have died after eating Advance Dermocare, which was on Saturday pulled from shelves at 500 pet stores nationwide by its manufacturer.

UPDATE: PREMIUM DOG FOOD LINKED TO SEVERAL FAMILY PET DEATHS

Advance Dermocare dog food is being tested.
At least three pet dogs were on Saturday seriously ill with the incurable disease megaesophagus.

Two of them were likely to be euthanised if their condition did not improve.

The disease causes a dog’s oesophagus to become abnormally enlarged. The animal loses its ability to swallow or absorb nutrients.

HAS YOUR DOG BECOME ILL AFTER EATING ADVANCE DERMOCARE? EMAIL [email protected]

Devastated owners — who bought the “top shelf” food because they believed it was better for their pets — said they watched their cherished animals “waste away”.

They are demanding answers to ensure no more animals are harmed.

Veterinary experts are urgently testing samples of the dog food in a bid to find the cause.

Anthony Brown, from Melbourne, who was forced to have his pet Rooney put down a fortnight ago, said the seven-year-old dalmatian had lost half his body weight within weeks.

“He was skin and bones — we couldn’t work out what had happened,’’ Mr Brown said. “It just came out of the blue.”

The family spent $9000 in X-rays, biopsies, surgery and medications.

Vets finally diagnosed Rooney with megaesophagus.

“It was upsetting watching our otherwise healthy dog fade away,” Mr Brown said.

“We bought the food from the vet thinking it was top shelf. We need to find out what is causing it so it can’t happen again.”

Issues with Advance Dermocare were sparked after the recent death of a Victoria Police dog. Eight others are sick, with two expected to be euthanised.

Labradors are among the dog squad breeds affected by the illness. File picture: David Caird
The disease has now killed almost a dozen police dogs in several states.

Another pet owner Paul O’Shannassy — whose three-year-old Irish setter Paddy died within three days of becoming sick — said it was “very quick and unexpected”.

Other owners were anxiously watching the condition of sick pets.

Adelaide residents Laura and Aaron O’Toole told the Sunday Herald Sun vets may have to euthanise their family dog, nine-year-old Stan, tomorrow. The adored labradoodle won’t eat or drink and has lost 5kg since falling ill more than a week ago.

“It’s pretty much a death sentence,” Ms O’Toole said.

“We take him to the vet every day so he can be put on a drip. They pretty much told us that there won’t be a good outcome.”

I've read of 3 dogs that have been diagnosed with ME and fed Advance dermacare on FB. At least 2 have been put down. It's a very demanding disease. Fern's was relatively mild and we battled on for over 12 months but I wouldn't put any dog through that again.

• Sad 2

• 8 months later...