Kaos - lymphoma

Teebs

I can’t believe I’m in here again with the same thing 

we lost my brothers dog to lymphoma and now Kaos has been diagnosed with it 

the last few days she has had the runs and panting a lot, 2 nights ago I found lumps under her neck. 

The vet took bloods and a sample of the lumps yesterday, while I’m still waiting for all the finer details, it is lymphoma 

we have already decided against chemo, so it’s just making sure she is comfortable and pain free 

• Sad 6

Ok well it’s 100% confirmed

she also has some pretty bad kidney damage

She started steroids tonight, vet is hopeful for 2 months, said 6 would be nice but to prepare for 1 

we had 21 days between my brothers dog being diagnosed and her being PTS 

• Sad 4

Well she seems ok, very happy and eating fine, still panting a fair bit

Hubby was watering the yard this morning and for the first time in her life, Kaos didn’t attack the hose :(  

she is also sticking to me like glue, so while she seems ok, I’m sure she isn’t feeling 100% 

• Sad 1

So sorry to hear this teebs.  It about this time last year that my dear old agility girl Kirra at 15.25 was diagnosed with lymphoma.   The prednisone shrank the glands for about a week, but then they started swelling again.  Apart from gradual slowing down, her only other symptom was some collapse episodes .. like short, but increasingly long partial seizures.  Didn't actually investigate them because they didn't distress her too much.  She slept more as the time went on, but ate well till the last 24 hours or so.    The week before she left, she had a lovely weekend with me and Rory up north at an agility trial, meeting up with all her human friends and generally acting the queen.

Although it was a shock to get the diagnosis, in a way It was not the worst way for her to go.   She had early stage kidney disease, which obviously was going to proceed to symptomatic disease, and the peripheral lymphoma seemed to be pretty painless (for her) and  mercifully quick .. and the final decision making for me was a no brainer .. I was able to wait a day for my lovely vet to help her out .. although that was hard on him too, since he'd been our vet since she arrived at 8 weeks old.

I can only hope your lovely girl has a similarly gentle journey. 

Thank you Tassie

She is being spoilt and loved, I’m prepared for it to be fast :( 

the kids seem to know something is happening, I’m going to have to start to get them ready for her leaving us :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Teebs said:

Thank you Tassie

She is being spoilt and loved, I’m prepared for it to be fast :( 

the kids seem to know something is happening, I’m going to have to start to get them ready for her leaving us :(

Oh that makes it super hard for you. :(    I remember this sort of subject coming up years ago, and people had some lovely ideas to help kids .. I remember one was collecting favourite photos and making a scrap book or story book about the pet's life, especially any special moments involving them.   And here's to what the staff in a palliative care centre I used to visit with my old dogs called "the cortisone honeymoon".

Thanks

sadly my kids know what death is :( so it is a little easier to explain but harder as they understand what ‘never ever seeing them again’ Means

ill start saving photos and do a photo book for them 

thank you 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2