Puppy + Mum backyard breeder

OK .. I thought holidays might play a part .. up for more reading ? (sorry) 

this is a discussion on pup's first days/weeks at home ... CLICK HERE

and ... a niggle from me about the choice of colour ..what if the colour looks Ok ... and personality is not a good fit ? 
(one reason I end up with dogs ..none of which have my 'dream dog' looks at ALL ) LOL .

I have a white dog , never use sunscreen . I have a colour preference in my breed too , I’m actually hunting for another right now , but the fit will be more important , even if it’s a red which is my least favorite colour ! 

If you have kids getting the right whippet is paramount , a nervy one will be a nightmare , and I fear the ones you saw may well have never left their runs and will be scared in the real world . 

• Like 2

Although I wouldn’t necessarily get a pure white for your situation I don’t think 

you are limited to blue. Fawns and reds should be fine, and I wouldn’t dismiss a black, there are plenty of black and tan kelpies working all day in the sun. The variation in brindles is huge, visually they can be very different looking, and some may well appeal. I think you are limiting yourself if going to the beach is the main reason you want blue.  I have even had white dogs (not whippets) that have black rather than pink skin, and that may well happen in whippets too. 

• Like 2

I have owned parti coloured Greyhounds ,black/white,red brindle/white /blue brindle & white & a solid Blue .
The solid blue had a way finer coat than the partis & had health issues.The partis had nice thick coats .
Never used sunscreen & showed them in summer & they loved sun baking & never needed sunscreen .

Some colours are simply not breed in high numbers but like others have said picking a whippet with the right temp to live with kids is far more important & yes i too have colour preferences BUT would never take on the wrong dog just because of colour .

If your wanting a Whippet to enjoy beach life & kids then picking the right pup will be very important as a nervous whippet will be your worst nightmare .

• Like 4

15 hours ago, persephone said:

this is a discussion on pup's first days/weeks at home ... CLICK HERE

thank you for these great questions and the good read of responses! I've contemplated the timing of bringing the pup into our family in school hols vs normal routine.  Also taking a mum and her pup seems like a good idea to lessen separation anxiety and the pup will learn from the mum.

I've woken this morning feeling the mum is going to be perfect for our son.  He is keen to train her, she is very friendly and affectionate and it feels like a great match for both of them.  The initial thought was to take a rescue and with that, we were happy to have a dog with unknown medical history. 

This still leaves the situation with the backyard breeder and false information an issue.  If we took a rescue from the pound, at least the vet check would be true.

Any advice on how to navigate on this issue please?

50 minutes ago, 2girlwhippets said:

I've woken this morning feeling the mum is going to be perfect for our son.  He is keen to train her, she is very friendly and affectionate and it feels like a great match for both of them.

I'm afraid I'm taking a step back here - this is something that I would not enter into  , and therefore I cannot advise you . One thing. 
How many other dogs have you visited apart from these? 
Go to a rescue ..visit with a few other dogs that catch your eye -maybe because they are different , or odd, or a puppy (not with a view to taking them home) - then compare their reactions , and that of your son :)  It's a good experience .
As a kid ..  a highlight of our holidays was a visit to our favourite dog sanctuary  ( 55 yrs ago ) .. it was such an amazing learning experience  :) So many different dogs ..so much tail wagging ..

and the pup will learn from the mum.

learn what ? 
At this stage , what does 'mum' know? is she housetrained? does she travel well in a car? is she fine with strangers?Does she bark a lot at birds/cars/cats? Does she eat calmly , or growl at anyone approaching? Is she happy to have her feet handled, and ears cleaned ? can she walk confidently on all sorts of textures including shiny floors/asphalt /carpet?

Sorry these people will, after all get your money - but I hope all works out well . 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

The dog may well have been all waggy tail in its kennel, take it out and put it in your place and see the change, has it ever been in a house? seen a tv, cars, washing machines? i hope it doesn't turn out to be a nervous nelly once out of its comfort zone as i'm sure as hell they won't take it back once they have your money in their grubby mits.

Edited by juice
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 2girlwhippets said:

This still leaves the situation with the backyard breeder and false information an issue.  If we took a rescue from the pound, at least the vet check would be true.

Any advice on how to navigate on this issue please?

You could ask if you can get a vet check at your own vet before committing and paying. They probably won’t agree. 

Or you take your chances and get them fully vaccinated, wormed, heart worm tested and flea treated as soon as you get them. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

no advice. You've been given plenty and are still prepared to support these awful people in their money making scheme. I hope it all turns out well for your son's sake.

That is harsh, Rebanne.  The OP is just trying to give a litttle dog a loving home, not support unethical breeders.  Frankly, if they want to take the mum, I’d say go for it.  No, it won’t stop BYB, nor the never ending cycle, but it will sure make a difference to that little dog.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

That is harsh, Rebanne.  The OP is just trying to give a litttle dog a loving home, not support unethical breeders.  Frankly, if they want to take the mum, I’d say go for it.  No, it won’t stop BYB, nor the never ending cycle, but it will sure make a difference to that little dog.  

Nup, all they are doing is making space for more and more dogs to be bred there. By buying from someone that even the OP thinks is dodgy they are supporting an unethical breeder, they are enabling them to keep breeding. 

• Like 4

As hard as it is, try not to support a back yard breeder in any way. I have a foster fail here. She was surrendered with her 14 year old mother and 2 siblings. She was only 3 to 5 months old but no longer had any sale value given her age and was probably costing her 'breeder' money in food. 'Breeder' also lied about her age based on her teeth. Her 14 year old mother had dementia. A dog and cat will pretty much breed until they die but you can just imagine the type of doggy skills a mother with dementia will pass on to her pups. Neither the pups nor mum came with any medical info because they probably never saw a vet. They were all surrendered because the 'breeder' had another litter on the ground, but of course the 'breeder' lied about the reason. The people who did the pick up (yes, too lazy to even drop the dogs off herself!) realised she was a back yard breeder and it was not a whoops litter that she couldn't handle after all.

So anytime you give these scum money you support the cycle in some way and enable them to continue sitting on their arses and abusing and neglecting animals in their care. It's horrible and it is hard to leave dogs in this situation but if you are up for it contact them and say you want your money back and tell them why. Call them on their BS. Tell them you wont support them being back yard breeders and that if they were honest about who they were you would not have done business with them in the first place. They may not want trouble and might return your money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, juice said:

I agree with rebanne .

by your logic DD we should just send everyone to the nearest Petshop as that will make a difference to the puppy’s in there that need homes too . 

Oh Juice, that is a really silly comment.  My comment has nothing to do with logic, petshops, puppy’s [sic]; it is about the case of one single dog.  

4 hours ago, Rebanne said:

no advice. You've been given plenty and are still prepared to support these awful people in their money making scheme. I hope it all turns out well for your son's sake.

And completely ignored sensible sun advice, to justify "needing" a blue dog. 

OP, you need to understand that while you see it as "saving" the mum, in reality, you are simply ridding the backyard breeder of unwanted ex breeding stock. In short, you are doing them a favour and that is supporting backyard breeding. Simple as that.

If you absolutely must have these two dogs, I guess that's your business but do not forget for one moment that for your own wants, you have undoubtedly condemned other mums to the same miserable fate.

I suspect, however, that you have already made up your mind and armored yourself with a hundred justifications for what you're doing. As a whippet owner, it's heartbreaking to hear about these gentle, people-oriented little creatures being kept in a way that must be hellish for them, treated like just stock to make money, with all of their social needs ignored. And it's even worse to hear another person to claims to love the breed, being willing to perpetuate that abuse  :mad 

• Like 2

Thank you to those who have helped with my moral dilemma and given kind and heartfelt advice and information.

Judgements based on assumptions that some of you have freely given your opinions on, are not in anyway helpful.  

I didn't come to this site to be judged and criticised sarcastically , so I'll go now and wish you all well and pray you can find a way to deal with your own angst without hurtling it on others asking for help.

Looks like you will have to go elsewhere for advice then then when it all goes belly up, as you can't stand anyone who tells it like it is.

why come on for advice and then ignore it, and then expect everyone to say, good choice!

Another one with NFI, who wants a dog now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, juice said:

Looks like you will have to go elsewhere for advice then then when it all goes belly up, as you can't stand anyone who tells it like it is.

why come on for advice and then ignore it, and then expect everyone to say, good choice!

Another one with NFI, who wants a dog now.

Same old, same old. People come here wanting to have their bad decisions validated by others, are shocked to discover that Dol isn't the sort of place where people will nod along just to be nice, and a flounce ensues.

Usually at this point, a Doler or two will come along and say we shouldn't be mean to newer members, and that it's bullying, followed by a merry derailing of the entire thing into a debate about what constitutes bullying.

OP, I'm sorry that you didn't like hearing the truth. I can understand that you want to feel like you're doing some wonderful thing by "rescuing" these dogs but that isn't the reality. Threads like these are a dime a dozen around here and they almost always end the same way- with the OP doing what they'd planned to do from the very beginning. And it seems you've fit exactly into the usual, so you'll forgive me if I don't feel the sugar-coat my thoughts.

• Like 4