Think this has been done ....how long did you wait for YOUR dog choice ?

persephone

can't find the thread, and recent discussion once again  broughts thoughts to mind of folks here who waited years for a pup from a preferred breeder..or who flew many miles ...
There are those who have foster failures who are perfect fits ( and not-so) 
Did you inherit a dog who was much loved and desired? 
It's an odd thing ... i have always carefully chosen my cats by colour , I just realised  ( how embarrassing)  but never chosen dogs by breed or colour LOL Mum had pedigreed dogs when we were kids ..Rottie , labs, OES...bought as puppies .. 
Over the past 50 yrs I have had a succession of mixed breeds of all shapes & sizes /coat types & colours ..pretty much who have all found me  one way or another . I don't really have a dream dog ..BUT would like one day to be sitting in a comfy chair with a little one like this - maybe .... perhaps . I shall see what the fates have in store . image.jpeg.491c6710039bbbae0341806d7b250d4f.jpeg

how long DID you wait for your  dog/s ?  

I’m currently waiting for my next dog. Hopefully a breeding will take place around the end of this year, so I may have a new pup by this time next year, or I may be waiting longer. I’ll wait. 

I was waiting 6 months for my second dog but when that breed didn’t work out they helped me find Thyme (cousin breed). 

I haven’t fully decided if I want a third and certainly not ready right now so I don’t think I count as waiting? There SHOULD be a litter I will be VERY interested in next year and I will evaluate our situation closer to that date, see if they’re still what I would like, if I’d like to see how that litter grow and get second litter or if would like to “wait” longer or if they don’t fit and I am ready a different dog or breed or source. 

Does this count as waiting years?

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Haha 1

Ooh..yes!! Thinking about ..maybe'ing /should'ing ..all count, in my book!!   Lovely thing to have . 
I may never ever have a little CC to drape on my arthritic knees ,some years down the track ..but looking at images/thinking/imagining is so pleasurable :) I can see its antics  LOL

Although if we get technical... I waited 10 years to get thistle? ;) 

(to save to buy a house so can buy a dog)

that was definitely impatient waiting!

thyme was nervous waiting. 

Third... going with the flow no rush waiting???

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

I'm currently waiting for a maaaaaybe-maybe. I don't want to say too much in case it doesn't happen but it's a breed I've been trying to talk myself out of for years. After losing Bosley to cancer and being personally dogless (the OH has his whippets but they're very much his breed of choice, not mine), I decided I might as well sort of look. In a way that involved not much looking, and mostly just waiting. If it happens, I'll be really happy (I pity my FB friends already, it will be obnoxious puppy photo spam) but if it doesn't, I'll just go back to waiting. Part of me WANTS PUPPY NOW but I'm okay with waiting as long as it takes for it to happen. Months, years, it'll happen when it happens. 

I've thought about another grey but after Bosley, it feels like.. you know, I love the breed but I can't go there again. Pity, I still have mountains of coats and collars and other lovely things that would fit a grey, but I think that time has now passed. Maybe in ten years from now, when it doesn't hurt so much, who knows. Or if another monger baby comes along, who needs me.. but I can't see that happening. 

• Like 1

I started seriously considering breeds for my 2nd dog at least 2 years before I got him but choosing the exact breed and breeder was a quicker process as ideal timing presented itself.

I have been fairly opportunistic with both of my dogs (especially the first one). I made sure with the 2nd dog that I had a better idea of what I wanted and made sure I got the important things right. Neither dog has turned out perfectly how I anticipated and while it would've been nice if I could go back and change a few things, I would never change having the dogs I have. Maybe things would've turned out differently had I made different choices or waited longer for the 'perfect' pup both times around... but at the end of the day I have 2 dogs that I love and more or less suit what I want and need in a dog so who's to say they werent the perfect one for me all along?

I have seen many people get burnt by being too hasty and settling for 'near enough's good enough' but many more where it all works out just fine, I guess your criteria will end up shaping exactly how long you'll have to wait!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, persephone said:

@mingaling  guess it would be a fool's errand asking for a decent hint ??????   (wonders what on earth would make a match with Tits  ?)  What great news  :hug:

Haha no I don’t want to jinx myself. 

Clues are it’s not a match at all with Tits. A big hairy breed. 

• Haha 1

I looked at breeds when my staffy was diagnosed with aggressive cancer. Luckily it went into remission for four years, but I'd contacted a breeder i liked the look of and kept her updated over the four years on his health. When he died, I contacted her and said I'd be ready for a pup in around 9 months (it takes me that long to get over losing a pet). Worked in perfectly with two litters she bred. Maxwell was born at the end of May and came home 1st August. I knew from the moment he came home he was exactly what i wanted. Sam was irreplaceable so it was wonderful to find a dog that was just as perfect. Max is nearly three now, time flies!

• Thanks 1

We waited for Henschke for more than 12 years as when we saw the breed, there was only one breeder who had brought them into the country and then 6 years later we saw them again, no pups, but loved the temperament.

then when we finally stopped renting we contacted the first breeder and she had two pups. 

When we got Jindi that was pure luck because we became friends with the second breeder through showing Henschke and that was when we met Penfold’s breeder too, so again it was right dog at the right time 9 years later.

just goes to show, word of mouth and meeting people helps.

My current dog is adopted from a shelter, but I plan on buying from a good breeder for my next dog.

This seems like a good a topic as any to ask, so I was wondering, at what stage is it appropriate to contact a breeder? 

I've heard some people stay on waiting lists for months, to years. Patience is virtue if you're waiting for a great pup, but the thought of waiting so long does worry me.

My situation is that my current dog almost 14 years old, I think it's possible he could make it to 15 though. I don't want another dog until he's passed away.

Is it normal to research, find the desired breeder and stay on a waiting list now, or only once I'm really in the position to purchase a pup?

I wouldn't like to be 'dogless' for a long period, but since situations can change, would a breeder be bothered by early contact? The process is a bit new to me.

• Like 1