Think this has been done ....how long did you wait for YOUR dog choice ?

persephone

1 hour ago, Ren said:

My current dog is adopted from a shelter, but I plan on buying from a good breeder for my next dog.

This seems like a good a topic as any to ask, so I was wondering, at what stage is it appropriate to contact a breeder? 

I've heard some people stay on waiting lists for months, to years. Patience is virtue if you're waiting for a great pup, but the thought of waiting so long does worry me.

My situation is that my current dog almost 14 years old, I think it's possible he could make it to 15 though. I don't want another dog until he's passed away.

Is it normal to research, find the desired breeder and stay on a waiting list now, or only once I'm really in the position to purchase a pup?

I wouldn't like to be 'dogless' for a long period, but since situations can change, would a breeder be bothered by early contact? The process is a bit new to me.

I guess it depends on the breed and the breeder you're considering. If it's a very common breed, you probably won't have to wait long as you'll have a greater choice of breeders to start with. On the other hand, if it's a rarer breed or you want a puppy from a specific breeder, you may be waiting longer.

In my case, the breed is less common and I want a puppy from a very specific sort of breeder, so that means waiting. If I get lucky, it'll be less than 12 months from first contacting. If I don't get lucky.. who knows. Maybe years. But I'd rather wait to get exactly what I want, so it suits me just fine. Your situation may be different.

As far as contacting breeders, same, really. If the breeder has several litters a year, it'd be worth contacting them to introduce yourself, but I'd suggest being clear that you aren't ready yet (and will let them know when you are ready). On the other hand, if your chosen breeder only has a litter once every few years, you might want to ask to be put on a waiting list, provided you know roughly when the next litter will be (and if that suits your plans).

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, Maddy said:

I guess it depends on the breed and the breeder you're considering. If it's a very common breed, you probably won't have to wait long as you'll have a greater choice of breeders to start with. On the other hand, if it's a rarer breed or you want a puppy from a specific breeder, you may be waiting longer.

In my case, the breed is less common and I want a puppy from a very specific sort of breeder, so that means waiting. If I get lucky, it'll be less than 12 months from first contacting. If I don't get lucky.. who knows. Maybe years. But I'd rather wait to get exactly what I want, so it suits me just fine. Your situation may be different.

As far as contacting breeders, same, really. If the breeder has several litters a year, it'd be worth contacting them to introduce yourself, but I'd suggest being clear that you aren't ready yet (and will let them know when you are ready). On the other hand, if your chosen breeder only has a litter once every few years, you might want to ask to be put on a waiting list, provided you know roughly when the next litter will be (and if that suits your plans).

Thanks for your response!

It is a more common breed I'm interested in, but I'd like to go with the best breeder I can manage for health and temperament. Some of those I've shortlisted don't seem to breed often, and for a popular breed I'm getting the impression there's more demand.

I still have a lot more time and things to research and see the breed more at shows, but thanks!

• Like 2

I'm trying to work out whether or not Andy is best as an 'only dog' now or whether or not to wait for another adult rescue westie or an adult westie from a breeder.  Its too early here I think... but I have no doubt when or if the time is right, the right dog will appear. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, westiemum said:

I'm trying to work out whether or not Andy is best as an 'only dog' now or whether or not to wait for another adult rescue westie or an adult westie from a breeder.  Its too early here I think... but I have no doubt when or if the time is right, the right dog will appear. 

I wondered that about Henry also but decided to look round for another girl as he is much happier when he just follows along with whatever they want. He is happy with Zara.

He seemed lost without another dog to show him the way

Edited to say that this post means you start to look for an older girl, don't go actively searching as such, but just keep your browser's search-bar open with the words 'Westie for sale SA'  written in.

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, persephone said:

How long did you you wait for YOUR dog choice?  

About five minutes.  I had just finished reading "Goodbye My Lady" and thought I'd really like a Basenji:  I also didn't know that there were any in Australia.  Picked up the local paper and there was an ad for Basenji pups listed (from earliest imports: 20 or so Basenjis in the country).  Picked up the phone, hopped in the car, chose my pup, joined Dogs Victoria.  Breeders were wonderful, taught me to show,  took my pup to Champion, bred one litter.  Times were different, think it was still miles and pounds days, pre '66.  (That is,  breeders took people more at face value with less formalised screening). 

• Thanks 1

I contacted the breeder I wanted a pup from and requested to go on their list for the next year because our dogs are 9 and 10.

we were after a female and a pup.

we ended up with an 8 month old and a male, which was a lot better because an 8 week old would have annoyed our dogs.

hes slotted straight in after only 3 weeks.

im never getting an 8 week old again - he hasn’t been destructive at all.

hes wonderful.

• Like 1