Puppy eating rocks, surgery, help!

Hyrevere

I have a 4 month old Kelpie who eats rocks.  I found several in her poo and the vet booked her in to do some bloods.  In the week between seeing the vet and the appointment, she started vomiting at least once per day, but did not show any other symptoms.  The vet suggested an xray and found a large rock that she doubted would pass through her intestine and put her straight into surgery.  Since the surgery, I have been watching her closely.  She has picked up at least 5 decent sized rocks (which I managed to get out before she swallowed them).  I am unable to remove all of the rocks from her environment and she is inside and when outside on a lead and watched closely. 

She has no mineral deficiencies, but is a bit low on protein so that will be remedied, however, there is no reason for her to be eating the rocks.  I have seen her pick up rocks after a long play in the park on the way to get a drink, immediately after getting out of the car as we go to work and whilst playing with my other dog, so I can't say that it is boredom.  She is in the office with me during the day and sleeps most of the time.  She plays with my other dog in the morning and after work we normally go to the dog park for an hour long play with other dogs.  I also walk her for around 15-30 mins every second day.  We have attended puppy preschool and were enrolled for classes at the obedience club (this has been put off due to the surgery).  I do small training sessions with her 2-3 times a day.  She is hopeless with recall and runs away from me particularly when she has something in her mouth.

So far my ideas are muzzle (preventing her picking up the rocks), halti (able to turn her away from the rock) and training.  Obviously, I need a short term fix now, so suggestions on which muzzle (baskerville or jafco) to get would be appreciated.  Also, any suggestions on long term solutions would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Edited by Hyrevere

Could be she was confined as a pup outside in a small area and rocks were her only source of amusement before you got her? could be just a habit.

i'd try a basket muzzle , she can breathe , pant, and drink still in one.

My BC boy, now 9 and a half, went through a phase of wannabe rock eating at about 3 months .. for no apparent reason.   He was not a random eater of other objects.  Thankfully I was able to manage it, and he seemed to just grow out of it.   But in your situation, with your pup having had surgery, I would think it's absolutely essential to try to protect his gut from further insult, so a basket muzzle for when you can't directly supervise would seem a good short term fix (in addition to all the other things you're doing with him.)   

We visited a cousin of mine when Rory was a pup going through this stage.  My cousin had lovely decorative bowls around her garden filled with stones they had collected on their travels round the country.  They all had to be put right up out of Rory's reach while we were there.

7 hours ago, Hyrevere said:

So far my ideas are muzzle (preventing her picking up the rocks), halti (able to turn her away from the rock) and training.  Obviously, I need a short term fix now, so suggestions on which muzzle (baskerville or jafco) to get would be appreciated.  Also, any suggestions on long term solutions would be appreciated. 

For a kelpie, you should be able find a good muzzle from a farm supplies shop, either physically or on line, rather than from suburban a pet shop. The Baskerville Ultra is more designed to stop biting than eating, while I'm not sure a Jafco provides adequate ventilation in our hot summers.

8 hours ago, Hyrevere said:

I have a 4 month old Kelpie who eats rocks.  I found several in her poo and the vet booked her in to do some bloods.  In the week between seeing the vet and the appointment, she started vomiting at least once per day, but did not show any other symptoms.  The vet suggested an xray and found a large rock that she doubted would pass through her intestine and put her straight into surgery.  Since the surgery, I have been watching her closely.  She has picked up at least 5 decent sized rocks (which I managed to get out before she swallowed them).  I am unable to remove all of the rocks from her environment and she is inside and when outside on a lead and watched closely. 

She has no mineral deficiencies, but is a bit low on protein so that will be remedied, however, there is no reason for her to be eating the rocks.  I have seen her pick up rocks after a long play in the park on the way to get a drink, immediately after getting out of the car as we go to work and whilst playing with my other dog, so I can't say that it is boredom.  She is in the office with me during the day and sleeps most of the time.  She plays with my other dog in the morning and after work we normally go to the dog park for an hour long play with other dogs.  I also walk her for around 15-30 mins every second day.  We have attended puppy preschool and were enrolled for classes at the obedience club (this has been put off due to the surgery).  I do small training sessions with her 2-3 times a day.  She is hopeless with recall and runs away from me particularly when she has something in her mouth.

Thanks

There might well be a reason - do you feed your dog bones so he can use his first teeth and prepare his jaws for the next ones (he is just 1-2 month away getting his real ones)? With 4 month they normally chew everything they can get ... door frames, shoes, roots etc. The less access they have to bones the more they will chew other things - and that is normal, they have to train their jaws and associated muscles for their later life. Give him some briskets and very likely he will start preferring these instead of boring rocks.

Edited by W T
reason for edit: spelling

My Cav carried around all sorts of rocks and lumps of concrete as a small pup but has stopped now.  Now she carries small toys around a lot, which I am much happier about!  Has your kelpie got other things she can carry instead?