My dog is completely not himself - hit puberty?

Cuko13

i think it’s the same dog. That has severe HD, was going on holidays for 9 weeks and then was going to rehome it.

in those posts there is talk of the dog wandering loose and concern was raised about the dog being on its own for 9 weeks.

i don’t think it’s a troll, just someone who should rethink about owning a dog.

i know, that’s really harsh, but reading the other posts puts things into perspective.

just sayin’.

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 2

Yes the situation is shitty and dangerous. That has been addressed several times by poochmad and others. The OP has yet to return and add more information let alone time to absorb the feedback and think about things. 

Others jumping in to turn it into troll accusations (what if it’s NOT?!) or to go straight to “you’re a shitty owner” accusations - how does that help anyone except to make yourself feel good? Does the written dog pile actually help this person and their dog to improve their ownership capabilities? Or could it more likely upset them so they don’t listen or drive them off the forum all together?

We talk a lot about trying to redirect dogs, give them alternatives, don’t overcorrect them, be understanding even when it’s hard. Damn shame we don’t give the owners the same chance and ways to improve. Especially with high risk cases like this situation.

Generally when something is risky you should be careful and mindful, not bring out the hammer and beat away until something explodes. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

This poster seems to have zero regard for their own pet, other people’s pets, or laws. 

For reasonable approaches to work, I thing you need some hint of reasonableness to begin with.

• Like 1

So? This poster has come to a forum for help. That’s step 1 to becoming a better owner. Asking for help. 

Step 1 for this forum would be to provide help. Some people have done that. Asked questions, provided resources. 

However. Dismissing them, making jokes about them/the dog to make others laugh, being “””brutally honest””” - doesn’t help them or the dog or anyone and it obscures/detracts from those truly helpful comments that might actually help them improve  and fix the situation. 

And what if someone else in a similar situation reads this thread in hope of help? They’re going to get precious little of it and might not even sign up to ask for help for fear of similar judgements or dismissal. 

They came here for help.  They’re asking for help. If you can’t help, or you are too upset by the scenario/situation to offer help or advice - leave it to those who are already offering it or can offer it. Go vent in the off topic forums set up specifically for that or make an angry Facebook post or chat about it with a friend. 

But don’t chase them off their own post asking for help. That hurts  them and the dog. 

• Like 2

I have :)  If you feel it’s a bit of a brick wall or lost cause or a troll - that is fine. We all have that and some time or another. 

But saying it in the threads detracts from helpful comments, discourages drive by readers and is all around not helpful to the situation. Even if it is fake or the OP is reluctant to change, it doesn’t hurt for people to keep trying. 

So im hoping by writing my thoughts people will think first before writing a comment that at its heart isn’t helping op or passerby’s. I’m not suggesting use kiddy gloves, but give people a chance. 

And if you have given enough chances yourself or have run out of ideas or just not feeling up to it, leave it to those who still do have the energy and ideas and the like. 

Evey time OP does something a little different, that’s an improvement. Even just thinking about things. 

Hoping my thoughts made sense, don’t want to side track the post anymore myself :laugh:

Edited by Thistle the dog

1 hour ago, Thistle the dog said:

I have :)  If you feel it’s a bit of a brick wall or lost cause or a troll - that is fine. We all have that and some time or another. 

But saying it in the threads detracts from helpful comments, discourages drive by readers and is all around not helpful to the situation. Even if it is fake or the OP is reluctant to change, it doesn’t hurt for people to keep trying. 

So im hoping by writing my thoughts people will think first before writing a comment that at its heart isn’t helping op or passerby’s. I’m not suggesting use kiddy gloves, but give people a chance. 

And if you have given enough chances yourself or have run out of ideas or just not feeling up to it, leave it to those who still do have the energy and ideas and the like. 

Evey time OP does something a little different, that’s an improvement. Even just thinking about things. 

Hoping my thoughts made sense, don’t want to side track the post anymore myself :laugh:

Thanks for your support, but sadly unlike most pet forums and resources out there, it doesn't sound like this is much of a place to ask for help, let alone get helpful advice. From my brief interactions with this forum it's been clear from inception that this is simply a medium of titillation for holier-than-thou pet owners looking to exert their self-righteousness. 

I'm actually quite let down that this would stretch as far as suggesting a dog should be punished by being plucked from his original owner and environment and put into a dreaded pound where I'm almost certain he wouldn't get the care he requires in regards to his allergies and joint disease. 

In seeing the poor reactions on here, I can say that thankfully, in comparison, my neighbour has been extremely understanding and patient in considering that it's a big dog, is going thru a natural ageing process, and has usually been mature enough to display self-control and thoughtfulness when left alone. 

I'm also unable to even contemplate the supposed negligence of my past, such as falling medically ill and having a family emergency to attend to back overseas. I can only assume all posters here have the abnormal luxury to avoid illness and have completely abandoned any family responsibilities which would require their tend, because clearly it's unacceptable for these things to unwillingly occur when you own a dog. 

For the record I will also state this is the same dog with hip dysplasia, but again I cannot even contemplate this inherent level of guilt and negligence I'm supposed to feel for this happening beyond my control. Heaven forbid any owner here has ever taken their dog for medical treatment due to an uncontrollable illness. 

Im not going to engage in this system of judgemental self-praise, but I will say that 

if you're concerned for the dogs welfare, all don't be. He's always been completely contempt and received care well beyond the standard I've seen. 

I think most owners here need a lesson in tolerance and outward thinking instead of confining to a (quite frankly) pretentious and rude attitude. Regardless, to each their own. 

Best regards. 

Sorry you've met some harsh replies .. although to be fair. most of the posts have had helpful comments and advice.

I'm not a breeder, but I have owned an entire male (show and performance dog)  for 9 years and apart from the fact that the law requires it, I have always made sure that he is not free to roam the streets ... not only because (as has been pointed out) it is a fineable offence under dog control legislation in most areas, but also it is my duty to the dog and to other dog owners not to let my dog run the risk of impregnating a bitch, or causing or getting involved in a fight, or causing or being involved in an accident of some kind.    As the owner of a currently entire bitch, it is also my duty to protect her from  possible attentions from my own or any other males, and also to comply with the law relating dog control.

So what I'm trying to say is that the advice you have been given is based on the welfare of your own and other people's dogs, consideration for other people and the law relating to animal control.   I would add that while it can be a good idea to delay desexing until growth plates have closed, it may be in your dog's best interest to consider desexing him now, if you're in a position to do so.

• Like 1

Best of luck Cuko. There were some good ideas shared for you to try implementing before people went all conspiracy theorist. Try not to let their suspicion and hyperbole prevent you from trying the useful posts :( 

If after time you still do not have success with the re-training and the management suggestions from earlier, it might be worth bringing in a trainer to spot any extra causes for behaviour that you are unaware of. A health check never goes astray as well  

Definitely get him neutered as neighbours dog would not cope well with that. He’s done growing so thinking with his bits is just going to get him into trouble. 

Consider seeing  if you can’t buy one of those gate latches that swing the gate shut behind you, reduce the risk of him going wandering out without you and gives you more time to enjoy his company. I’m super partial to tug and fetch to get the jitters out if he’s seeming unusually energetic on a day. 

Might be be worth seeing if neighbour wants to desex their dog too, or you might find other dogs come calling and they pose a risk to you too. 

Good luck. 

I don't think anyone has mention that your are legally responsible for what your dog does when Its roaming.

Wether it bites someone or impregnates another dog, you are legally responsible.

If nothing else that should be enough to keep you dog contained.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gillybob said:

I don't think anyone has mention that your are legally responsible for what your dog does when Its roaming.

Wether it bites someone or impregnates another dog, you are legally responsible.

If nothing else that should be enough to keep you dog contained.

I'm fully aware of the potential risks of my dog roaming. He doesn't roam often anyway so the criticism in that regard is unfounded. 

His past the tendency to roam is irrelevant here. Every dog will roam when driven by biology, whether he's been a stray roamer all his life or securely house trained, they'll all most likely roam when the time comes. So the problems with him roaming  now are not due to  negligence or a lack of training, they're due to a sudden and unexpected rise in sexual drive which caught me by surprise, and could've done the same to any elite dog owner passing judgement in this thread.  In the last few months I could freely leave the gate open all day and he would never step outside, even if I wasn't there. Now he's trying to dig his way out and goes running off at every chance. To call that negligence is a slippery slope. It's sexual drive pure and simple. 

My only query was wether this increased desire to roam (and lack of sleeping/playing/eating) would cease once neutered. 

How do you know he doesn't roam when you're not there?  It's the same as saying the dog doesn't bark when you aren't there, but how would you know?  I don't think anyone here is being elitist, just realistic.

I would say most dogs will leave their property if the opportunity is there (not LGDs) boredom and having being left to roam before will factor into it.

So  he's now sexually mature so any common sense has left him, much like teenage boys. 
Dogs will dig, jump, climb and fight just to get to an female on heat, if the neighbours dog is being walked over the road, yours won't care about cars, commands or anything you think he would usually, he will go straight for the female on heat.

Neutering the dog will help, keeping him contained will be the solution.  If you can't keep him confined in a yard/property, think about buying/building a decent dog run.  You'll need to make sure he gets mental and physical exercise as well, lots of bones/toys etc to keep him occupied in the run or yard.  A GSD is a working breed, they need stimulation and if you can't provide it, they will find their own ways (digging, destroying things, roaming, chasing cars, bikes, sheep etc depending on what is available)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

I'm fully aware of the potential risks of my dog roaming. He doesn't roam often anyway so the criticism in that regard is unfounded. 

His past the tendency to roam is irrelevant here. Every dog will roam when driven by biology, whether he's been a stray roamer all his life or securely house trained, they'll all most likely roam when the time comes. So the problems with him roaming  now are not due to  negligence or a lack of training, they're due to a sudden and unexpected rise in sexual drive which caught me by surprise, and could've done the same to any elite dog owner passing judgement in this thread.  In the last few months I could freely leave the gate open all day and he would never step outside, even if I wasn't there. Now he's trying to dig his way out and goes running off at every chance. To call that negligence is a slippery slope. It's sexual drive pure and simple. 

My only query was wether this increased desire to roam (and lack of sleeping/playing/eating) would cease once neutered. 

Yes. Getting him desexed will stop his tendency to get out for whatever reason if there is a dog on heat (after a couple of months). 

however, as has already been advised, even desexed, your dog will roam. 

Dont believe it? Leave the gate open, drive away and wait or ask your neighbors.

The reason people get heated on this forum is because at one time or another we’ve had to deal with dogs that are let out, pooping on our lawns, attacking our dogs, chasing people, getting into dog fights, causing car accidents, the list is endless.  I live in a rural town and there are plenty of dogs who roam. We had a BT next door who was extremely aggressive, going after our pup, killed a jack russell, bit a kid and bailed up a man with a pram.

the next dog was a female bob tailed blue heeler often roaming when in heat or attacking anything in sight. I called the council on that after requests were ignored by myself and another neighbor.

the law clearly states that dogs must be confined and on a leash when walking.

thinking it’s cruel to have him locked away is unfair to him (safety) and to those around you or who come near the area.,

the only way I know how to stop a dog from roaming is to use an electric pulse collar that sets of vibration (unharmful)

when it gets close to an electric pulse fence around the property.

your dog could be as sweet as pie, but if when he was out and something happened you’d be liable.

for the safety of your dog, your legal responsibility and for anyone living nearby or who might stumble into your area with a dog on heat or an aggressive/shy/nervous etc dog, do the right thing and lock him in.

(sorry the troll thing came from me only because I couldn’t believe what I was reading, number of Op posts and previous posts - yes giving a dog away just because you’re going on holiday is unreasonable...)

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2018 at 12:29 AM, Cuko13 said:

My German Shepherd is about 2 now, still not desexed as I've been putting it off. This past week and a half he's been a complete stranger to me. He's not eating, pooping, doesn't want to go for walks or play, and won't listen to anything I command. And of course he's constantly roaming. He's always been a roamer as we live in a large, empty street so he likes to take a short walk and come back.  But it's gotten completely out of  control now. One of my neighbors has an unspayed female (toy dog, wouldn't even be possible I'd imagine hehe) and he's only interested in going there. He's ended up in their yard about 10 timed this week, sometimes multiple times a day, just sniffing around wherever the female has marked. Luckily he hasn't made any sexual contact yet, maybe he doesn't even know how. 

I've had to make sure our front gate remains strictly shut, and often I just find him standing at the gate wanting to go out. If I leave it open for even a minute he's gone, and I always find him at the exact same spot. Anytime I come outside, he just sprints to the gate eagerly wanting to go out. He'll lead me straight to the same spot. 

Is this almost definitely a case of hitting puberty and reacting to sexual urges? He's still yet to hump or mount anything, but I can't even imagine it would be anything else causing this complete change in behavior. 

I've made an appointment to have him neutered anyway. I've always planned on doing it anyway. How likely is this to fix the urges and desire to roam and do nothing else (if that is what's causing this behavior?). I feel so bad, my only option is to leave him locked up for most of the day while I'm at work because my neighbor has gotten annoyed and we have cars coming in and out all day so there is too much of a risk he will get out. :(

You are overlooking your own comments - you have a responsibility to keep him safe and by your own admission he has ended up in a neighbours yard 10 times this week and sometimes multiple times a day. That is not good and it is not your neighbours dog's fault - it is yours and given you love your dog you need to accept the way you are contributing to this current situation and not put it all down to natural instincts. Many of us have or have owned entire dogs and been able to keep them safely contained (and not at risk of unwanted impregnation). Many of us have also experienced neighbours dogs who regularly roam and I have to tell you they cause a lot of problems. Shitting all over your yard, causing your own dogs to bark uncontrollably and try to escape, bailing up the postie and people walking (with and without dogs), becoming traffic hazards even in quiet streets. I also had a direct neighbour who let their little dog roam in our fairly quiet street, getting up to all kinds of chaos they seemed ignorant of. They still haven't gotten over the fact he was run over by a car and killed about 6 months ago not far from their house. That is what happens. And it is preventable. Even if you choose to neuter also consider prioritising fixing your fencing and providing stimulation for your boy to replace his wandering. No-one on here wants to hear he got stolen or hurt or that he hurt the other dog in question trying to mate with it. That's what the negative comments boil down to I think - his behaviour and the impact it might have on others and himself is preventable/manageable, but as his owner you need to step up and accept some responsibility and rectify things before it is too late for your boy. Neutering will not magically fix everything if your front gate remains open.

And as for your dog being locked up while you are at work - this is the norm for many dogs so don't feel bad - make it up to him with activities and mental stimulation on and off your property. If you have cars coming and going from your property then you may have to consider securely fencing him away from driveways and your exit gate. I've had to do that myself, particularly when living on acreage with rural perimeter fencing. It's cheaper to get secure fencing around a section of yard than it is to pay for a broken hip repair at an after hours emergency vet.

• Like 5

Desexing your dog will help with hormonal issues but not behavioural ones.

Unfortunately he's now had many opportunities to see that outside your property is more interesting than inside it so he may continue trying to get out regardless. To change his perspective you'll need to provide plenty of physical and mental enrichment to keep him satisfied through the day.

Mental enrichment might be daily training or things he can be left with which keep him entertained and busy.  I suggest joining the Facebook group Canine Enrichment, lots of great ideas there! Good luck. 

Edited by Roova
  • Like 4

I personally don’t understand why you don’t think roaming is a problem. Good luck to you with such an understanding neighbour. I wouldn’t like a large dog just wandering into my yard several times a day/week. I have had 2 cats killed by wandering dogs. Both in my own yard, so not the cats fault. Plus many times my own dogs and I have been bailed up in the streets by wandering dogs. And I have also been nipped while on my own driveway. (Got abused by the dog owner too ???)  Plus I always believed that it was illegal for a dog to be off lead except in designated areas. Please for your neighbours and your dogs own safety fix that problem. And yes desexing is a good idea but that will only fix part of the problem. He will need more training afterwards because he will still think the grass is greener on the other side. 

• Like 3

considering how many people DONT bother to make sure their dogs stay home, the OP is not a one off.

the difference where I live is sooner or later it will be shot the second it is seen in their paddocks preferably before it turns its attention to killing their livestock, another basic instinct that tends to kick in when unsupervised

Edited by asal