My dog is completely not himself - hit puberty?

Cuko13

My German Shepherd is about 2 now, still not desexed as I've been putting it off. This past week and a half he's been a complete stranger to me. He's not eating, pooping, doesn't want to go for walks or play, and won't listen to anything I command. And of course he's constantly roaming. He's always been a roamer as we live in a large, empty street so he likes to take a short walk and come back.  But it's gotten completely out of  control now. One of my neighbors has an unspayed female (toy dog, wouldn't even be possible I'd imagine hehe) and he's only interested in going there. He's ended up in their yard about 10 timed this week, sometimes multiple times a day, just sniffing around wherever the female has marked. Luckily he hasn't made any sexual contact yet, maybe he doesn't even know how. 

I've had to make sure our front gate remains strictly shut, and often I just find him standing at the gate wanting to go out. If I leave it open for even a minute he's gone, and I always find him at the exact same spot. Anytime I come outside, he just sprints to the gate eagerly wanting to go out. He'll lead me straight to the same spot. 

Is this almost definitely a case of hitting puberty and reacting to sexual urges? He's still yet to hump or mount anything, but I can't even imagine it would be anything else causing this complete change in behavior. 

I've made an appointment to have him neutered anyway. I've always planned on doing it anyway. How likely is this to fix the urges and desire to roam and do nothing else (if that is what's causing this behavior?). I feel so bad, my only option is to leave him locked up for most of the day while I'm at work because my neighbor has gotten annoyed and we have cars coming in and out all day so there is too much of a risk he will get out. :(

As your dog has been allowed to roam all of its life, I doubt neutering will change that. My staffy was entire until he was 11 years old. He never roamed and never displayed inappropriate behaviour. The undesexed female nearby isn't going to help, but once desexed i would say he is still going to roam at every opportunity unless you actively do something to retrain him.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, karen15 said:

As your dog has been allowed to roam all of its life, I doubt neutering will change that. My staffy was entire until he was 11 years old. He never roamed and never displayed inappropriate behaviour. The undesexed female nearby isn't going to help, but once desexed i would say he is still going to roam at every opportunity unless you actively do something to retrain him.

Thanks for responding. 

I should clarify his roaming has never been an issue. I walk him off-leash all the time so he actually knows how to avoid the roads, move a safe distance in case of cars, and to never go past someone else's gates into their yard. This is something I always stopped him from doing so he always knew not to cross into private property. I did make small efforts to train him not to leave and he listened, I could often leave the gates open all day without him going out. 

Like I said, it's just this last week or so that he's completely ignored all this and started sneaking into my neighbor's yard, even against my commands. There is definitely something extra urging him. If he could go back to the way he was before (maybe an occasional roam down the dirt track to do his business, stretch his legs and then come back as he always did) then I'd be more than happy. 

My bet would be that your neighbour's dog is in heat and that is what has triggered the change. Yep, it is time to get him desexed and don't let him roam on his own again - it puts him in far too much danger in so many ways on this modern world where idiots with baits and weapons roam.

It will take a few months after desexing for his hormones to settle down, but once they have you shouldn't be faced again with the personality flip that has come because a very strong mating drive has been unlocked.

• Like 2

Really you have no idea what your dog does while he is out roaming. Just because you think he won't go into a neighbours yard doesn't mean he won't. I am sure the owner of the small female is thrilled at having your large breed male hanging around all the time. Man up and start being a responsible dog owner. Keep your dog in it's own yard for starters. Your dog is a full grown adult of a breed many people are scared of.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

If he could go back to the way he was before (maybe an occasional roam down the dirt track to do his business, stretch his legs and then come back as he always did) then I'd be more than happy. 

..he probably won't.
leaving ANY dog to roam on the premise it will return home is being unfair to neighbours and the dog concerned ..
Dogs depend on owners to keep them safe.Neighbours rely on others'dogs being contained.
Where we live, nearest neighbours' houses are barely within sight - no-one leaves dogs to roam, even here. It is irresponsible.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

One of my neighbors has an unspayed female (toy dog, wouldn't even be possible I'd imagine hehe) and he's only interested in going there. He's ended up in their yard about 10 timed this week, sometimes multiple times a day, just sniffing around wherever the female has marked. Luckily he hasn't made any sexual contact yet,

Y'know , 
I just re-read this and felt more than a bit sick :( The injuries which could be inflicted on a tiny in-season bitch by a randy GSD include fear-induced ones, bruises, fractures, bites and who knows what else  :( Not a laughing matter at all.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, persephone said:

Y'know , 
I just re-read this and felt more than a bit sick :( The injuries which could be inflicted on a tiny in-season bitch by a randy GSD include fear-induced ones, bruises, fractures, bites and who knows what else  :( Not a laughing matter at all.

yeah made me sick as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to be delicate on a public forum - but as an undesexed male he has a primal drive to ensure his genes continue to the next generation - yes, he will do whatever it takes to make that a possibility.  The difference in size will have some logistical challenges, but the physical damage would not be one of his considerations - think about that 'cos its a fact.

Desexing him is recommended as it will reduce part of his motivation to roam, but not all.  You now have a dog that is used to roaming, so he will not be happy with confinement - but that's something that he will (should) need to get to cope with.  You can help him through the transition - plenty of info available about mental stimulation, toys etc.

Some people do totally struggle with 'being mean by keeping my dog locked up - he loves to stretch his legs and visit the neighbours' - that does not make it right.  Would that same person think that about their 5 yo child? 'oh, he knows not to go near traffic, and I feel mean expecting him to go to bed at night or go be with an adult through the day - he is fine if I just leave the door open'.

Your dog must be amazing if he can judge traffic perfectly

Possibly this is not what you want to hear, but it is something that has to be said - for your neighbours, for your neighbours animals and for your dog.  Best case scenario he is picked up by the council and you pick him up from the pound, worst case scenario he is hit by a car and you pick him up from the side of the road - dead.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, BDJ said:

*nods* it used to take us much time & trouble to educate prospective guide dogs in this aspect of their work ..and even then, it appeared to come into play only when they were working.

• Like 1

I would be mighty pissed off if you lived near me and I had to encounter your dog on its outings . You clearly don’t give a rats arse about him , because he could be killed , dogs don’t have road sense , he’s just been lucky so far . Put another in season dog on the other side of the road and then watch his road sense . 

That little dog could well be killed if he tried to mate her , he will , every chance he gets . Get him desexed and stop letting him out or give him to someone who has more of a clue and cares enough . 

• Like 7

My dog is completely not himself

At the moment, he IS - he is being completely true to his instinctual male self -and you have allowed it by giving him free reign, unfettered by fences or your presence.

Edited by persephone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BDJ said:

Trying to be delicate on a public forum - but as an undesexed male he has a primal drive to ensure his genes continue to the next generation - yes, he will do whatever it takes to make that a possibility.  The difference in size will have some logistical challenges, but the physical damage would not be one of his considerations - think about that 'cos its a fact.

Desexing him is recommended as it will reduce part of his motivation to roam, but not all.  You now have a dog that is used to roaming, so he will not be happy with confinement - but that's something that he will (should) need to get to cope with.  You can help him through the transition - plenty of info available about mental stimulation, toys etc.

Some people do totally struggle with 'being mean by keeping my dog locked up - he loves to stretch his legs and visit the neighbours' - that does not make it right.  Would that same person think that about their 5 yo child? 'oh, he knows not to go near traffic, and I feel mean expecting him to go to bed at night or go be with an adult through the day - he is fine if I just leave the door open'.

Possibly this is not what you want to hear, but it is something that has to be said - for your neighbours, for your neighbours animals and for your dog.  Best case scenario he is picked up by the council and you pick him up from the pound, worst case scenario he is hit by a car and you pick him up from the side of the road - dead.

I agree with this.

another aspect is the fact your entire male could be stolen by puppy farmers...or another entire dog could come to your area creating a fight.

the idea of that sized dog getting with a toy is horrific.

im surprised your neighbour hasn’t reported you to the council as well as anyone living nearby.

giving your dog things to keep him busy when you’re not home, bones, toys, etc would make the transition a lot faster.

also, keep him on the lead when you walk, for his safety and as a responsible dog owner.

i always think: prevention is a lot easier than trying to fix something that could have been avoided if the right thing had been done in the first place.

ETA: I’m sorry if my response is a bit harsh, but it’s almost like a post by a troll to get negative reactions purely due to the content...

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 1

I think we’re being royally wound up here, but just in case you didn’t know, It’s an offence in every juristiction I know to let a dog wander at large. If you lived near me you’d have had your dog impounded and you’re stupid negligent dog owning arse  fined every time I saw your dog at large. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

My German Shepherd is about 2 now, still not desexed as I've been putting it off. This past week and a half he's been a complete stranger to me. He's not eating, pooping, doesn't want to go for walks or play, and won't listen to anything I command. And of course he's constantly roaming. He's always been a roamer as we live in a large, empty street so he likes to take a short walk and come back.  But it's gotten completely out of  control now. One of my neighbors has an unspayed female (toy dog, wouldn't even be possible I'd imagine hehe) and he's only interested in going there. He's ended up in their yard about 10 timed this week, sometimes multiple times a day, just sniffing around wherever the female has marked. Luckily he hasn't made any sexual contact yet, maybe he doesn't even know how

I've had to make sure our front gate remains strictly shut, and often I just find him standing at the gate wanting to go out. If I leave it open for even a minute he's gone, and I always find him at the exact same spot. Anytime I come outside, he just sprints to the gate eagerly wanting to go out. He'll lead me straight to the same spot. 

Is this almost definitely a case of hitting puberty and reacting to sexual urges? He's still yet to hump or mount anything, but I can't even imagine it would be anything else causing this complete change in behavior. 

I've made an appointment to have him neutered anyway. I've always planned on doing it anyway. How likely is this to fix the urges and desire to roam and do nothing else (if that is what's causing this behavior?). I feel so bad, my only option is to leave him locked up for most of the day while I'm at work because my neighbor has gotten annoyed and we have cars coming in and out all day so there is too much of a risk he will get out. :(

A lot of this has been covered....  but

I)Entirely possible - as others have said

II) I bet he does know how. Or would soon figure it out. 

III) We all have to do things we don't like at times. For his own sake he should ALWAYS be secured while you're not able to supervise him. You owe it to him as his caregiver to provide him with a safe and secure yard and home. I don't blame your neighbour for being annoyed. I'd have had him impounded weeks, months ago. 

• Like 4