Puppy issues overnight

Gettehlife

Dont worry about the crate ,get a dog basket ,it really makes no difference where pup wants to sleep as long as its happy.
Tiles are often cooler especially if the house is warm or no air flow,some just don't wish to hang in there crate all the time,no wrong or right .
My dogs are crate trained because there show,they fly & travel in a crate ,They rarely see one during the week but all i want is a dog that will happily sit in a crate whether it be fire evac emergency,crappy weather,illness or day at vets .For me crate is a life skill but doesn't mean it has to be there world

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Dont worry about the crate ,get a dog basket ,it really makes no difference where pup wants to sleep as long as its happy.
Tiles are often cooler especially if the house is warm or no air flow,some just don't wish to hang in there crate all the time,no wrong or right .
My dogs are crate trained because there show,they fly & travel in a crate ,They rarely see one during the week but all i want is a dog that will happily sit in a crate whether it be fire evac emergency,crappy weather,illness or day at vets .For me crate is a life skill but doesn't mean it has to be there world

This does make me feel a lot better as he rarely ever complains being left in his crate unless he feels like he's not a part of the family, but with travelling, sleeping, eating, etc. He has no complaints at all. This whole time I thought I was doing the crate training thing wrong as so many people have said that the dog should see it as it's den, a comparison to a bedroom for us, and I never really saw that behaviour and thought I was doing something wrong. He is more than happy for it to be there and for him to play around his area, I think now the aim is for him to get comfortable with the playpen as he did with the crate. I need to get a more robust pen as he's managed to damage the cheapo one I've got already 

• 1 month later...

I feel like you've probably found what works by now (well I hope!) as it's been a month or so. But just in case....this is what we did with our girl: 

-Taught her from the beginning to be content with being alone. Meaning leaving her alone in her "bed time" area at other times of the day. Leaving her for 15 minutes to begin with a increasing the time slowly only when she felt comfortable. Both while we were home and when we went out. 

-Giving her one of our shirts that we wore that day in her bed (sounds gross I know but it's not to the dog trust me). She seemed to find it comforting and to this day (she's almost 6 months), if we go out for a long period of time or sleep in in the morning, we will find one of our dirty socks, or a hoodie we left in the loungeroom, or something just laying where she's been sleeping. Never chewed. Never anything bad. She's just brought it for comfort and cuddles lol. 

-Sounds terrible, but just ignoring. As much as it feels awful, we kept ignoring. Until there was that wonderful 20 seconds worth of silence, where we came out and gave her 10 minutes of attention and cuddles. ONLY ever after she had been silent. And yes, in the beginning, we'd reward those 20 seconds of silence. Slowly building them up to a minute, then a few minutes, and up slowly. We only had to endure maybe a weeks worth of nights of crying doing this. No sleep because we were getting up every 5, 10, however many minutes to praise the 20 seconds or 2 minutes of silence. But it seemed to work.

Anyway, I hope you have found what works for you! 

On 4/21/2018 at 6:01 AM, JRG said:

Remember that he will soon be able to climb over the sides as well and get/make a roof to stop him before climbing out becomes a habit.

I think so too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

France at Home is an online French Supermarket that sells French products

Edited by KendraSpringfield

On 4/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, Gettehlife said:

This does make me feel a lot better as he rarely ever complains being left in his crate unless he feels like he's not a part of the family, but with travelling, sleeping, eating, etc. He has no complaints at all. This whole time I thought I was doing the crate training thing wrong as so many people have said that the dog should see it as it's den, a comparison to a bedroom for us, and I never really saw that behaviour and thought I was doing something wrong. He is more than happy for it to be there and for him to play around his area, I think now the aim is for him to get comfortable with the playpen as he did with the crate. I need to get a more robust pen as he's managed to damage the cheapo one I've got already 

That small creature you sent us picture of was able to damage anything? :D I am joking, I know how energetic they can be :)

Anyways, I am glad that you find a solution for him, I just wanted to mention that you need a looooot of patience. I mean, 10 weeks old <3

I am not a professional, but as far as I can remember from my experience, with my dog, when he was little, he wanted attention not only at his potty breaks, but literally - all the time :D

He wasn't asking for attention only when he ate I think, or when played with something/someone else and used to forget about the surroundings, including me :D

I understand it may be annoying, especially when he barks in the middle of the night, but every training takes time. At the end, you will be happy with the result, because the more time you invest in your pup, the more you will be satisfied and happy with his behaviour. 

If you, however, don't succeed in training him the way you want, you can always ask a professional for advice. I adopted a rescue pup and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I treat him well or no, so I decided to look for professional help. I took him to the professional dog training in Sydney and never regreted. Liarne works with so much passion with dogs, she really helped a lot in the development of our pup!  The most important for me was that Liarne used positive, reward-based methods, as I don't trust any aggressive methods. So if you decide to look for a professional training, choose wisely and research well what said those who experienced it already...