Possible new puppy?

mumsy

Hello all!  My family and I are looking to add a fur baby. Our last dog was a boxer, but he has recently passed away. Previously we had a golden but we adopted her from a family going overseas and didn’t go through a breeder. What is the average cost for a golden puppy these days?  Anyone have breeders in Vic that they recommend highly? We are not in a hurry, just want to get a healthy happy dog,  thanks!

Hi there.   You might want to ask Troy (the forum owner and admin,) if he can move this either to the main part of the General forum. or to the Golden Retriever thread in the Breed Forum .. I'm assuming there's one.  It'll be seen by more people and won't get swamped.

There are some lovely breeders of Golden Retrievers in Victoria .. not sure who's likely to be breeding in the near future, but a good starting point is the Breed Page on the main Dogzonline site.   You search by breed and can limit the search to Victoria .. among other ways.  

A couple of other things to try are going to shows and talking to breeders  about what your plans are and seeing whether you like their dogs.   I'm pretty sure there is also a Golden Retriever Club in Victoria, so that's worth trying.

As for price, I don't know, but since the average price for a Border Collie pup from an ethical registered breeder is around $1500, I would be expecting that GOldens could be around $2000 .. but I'd be guessing.

Key things is to find a breeder whose dogs you like, who health tests breeding stock for the range of things that should be tested for, including juvenile cataract, hips and elbows and maybe other things, and ideally who you will be able to form a good relationship with.

Disclaimer .. I'm a Border Collie person, but Goldens are my second favourite breed ... family member used to breed them many decades ago.

ETA Links                    Victorian breeders

Golden Retriever Club of Victoria

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 1

Contact the Golden retriever club in your state ,plenty of great breeders in Vic .

Although be warned us breeders hate the term furbaby and often find the owners who use that term nightmares .

We breed beautiful dogs 

• Like 2