Importing Breed not recognized by ANKC

Seanbuzz

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this so please let me know if I need to move it. 

We're near the end of the process importing a rare breed from the US. It is recognised by the UKC not the AKC, nor is it recognised by the ANKC.

We've moved council areas during this very long process, and now weeks before we get to bring our new fur baby home we discover our local council won't allow us to register an un-desexed dog with them unless it's registered with the ANKC/Dogs Victoria. 

I've called the council who suggested calling Dogs Victoria, who suggested contacting the ANKC (Which they said can only be done in writing and could take a couple of YEARS), or to contact the council again, which I did. The person I spoke with at the council went to speak with someone higher up but the only option they could offer me was to have a Vet declare that desexing the dog would be irreversibly detrimental to her health, I know there is some research which suggests desexing can increase the likelihood of some conditions but I don't know if it's taken seriously or how to find  Vet who would be willing to write an exemption based on it. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions? or do I have to move house again?...  

Thank you in advance for any input :)

ANKC won't recognise it if the AKC doesn't. Best to try council again or move house. Of course you could try not registering but........

What breed and do you have a picture?

Edited by Rebanne

I will try the council again, they did sound pretty final in what they had to say.

The law is quite unfair and seems to have no room for leniency. I've spent the night reading council legislation and state laws, and ANKC regulations. I can't really find a way around it without finding a way for an exception to be made by ANKC the Council or State.   

I think your chances of getting ANKC registration for a breed developed in the US but not recognised by the AKC are zero. Asking council for an exemption seems your best hope. 

Thank you for the replies, :)

I really hope the council will be willing to make an exception, I understand the need for responsible breeding, but I find it discriminatory that the law is formed around such limited options to be considered and prove to be an ethical breeder. Just because I love a breed not recognized by the ANKC I'm essentially automatically assumed to be irresponsible, and given no legal pathway to prove otherwise. 

Does anyone know why Dogs Victoria is the ONLY "recognised organisation" for dogs? I see multiple options listed for cats. 

Does anyone know if there are any other organisations in the process of becoming a "recognised organisation"?

Cheers

Dogs Victoria is a member body of the ANKC who is the only recognised organisation in Aus. They are the only body recognised world wide. They are the official keeper of our pedigrees. 

I have no idea about the cat orgs and how much international transfers would take place 

Sorry, I confused "recognised organisation" with "applicable organisation"   :confused:

The VIC government explains: "What are the requirements for an Applicable Organisation? The primary conditions of Applicable Organisation status is that the organisation has a code of conduct/ethics that meets or exceeds the minimum standards required by Victorian legislation and that is binding on its members. In the case of breeders and rearers, the minimum standard is the Code. A second condition of Applicable Organisation status is that the organisation enforces their code of conduct/ethics, and provides sufficient communication and education with their members to ensure that they can comply with relevant Victorian legislation. On 31 May 2017, Dogs Victoria’s status as an Applicable Organisation was extended for a further two years."

So I need to convince the council to make an exception, or find a organisation willing to become an "applicable organisation" similar to ANKC in that I can be a member, register a dog with them and meets the above requirements. But different in that they acknowledge/allow membership for rare breeds and don't necessarily need to be internationally recognised as the keepers of the pedigree as the UKC does that job.

No other dog registry in Australia has taken steps to become an Applicable Organisation in Victoria, probably because they are not willing to police the ethics of their members as Dogs Vic is doing.

Until your breed is recognised by the AKC or the FCI there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the ANKC will recognise it. Only new breeds developed here may be recognised by the ANKC and that is a long process that takes 15 years at minimum. In the short term, I don't see that any other dog registry is going to step up and prove themselves to the Vic government either. Three of the cat registries have done so.

I would suggest you look to moving to another council, where in return for a mammoth annual registration fee, they will allow you to keep an entire dog.

Hi 

other’s have given sound advice.

Dont quote me because although having read through, the new regulations for SA as of July 1st this year, are heavy reading.....however, as I understand it, ANYONE can get a breeders licence which will allow exemptions for entire animals. Dogs SA members with ANKC registered animals will possibly have an easier ride but if you want to keep a breeding animal outside of the recognised pedigree system, I believe it is possible, if you jump through the hoops with your pocket full of money.

I doubt moving within SA will help you, as the new laws will be state wide. 

A good move would be to contact the Dog & Cat Management Board. 

http://dogandcatboard.com.au/breeder_registrations/new

i guess what I’d want to make certain is whether a breeders licence through the dog and cat management board will get you on the right side of the council. Make sure all your correspondence is written and recorded. 

Eta. Looking through this link an important point for you is under the new deserving regime, it clearly states animals born before July 1st 2018 are exempt. I’m assuming your dog is already born, so that might be a point. 

http://dogandcatboard.com.au/changes-to-the-act

What i I find confusing with the new laws is the crossovers between Dogs SA(ANKC), council, and the Dog And Cat Management Board.

Also, while this forum is mostly dedicated to the ANKC pedigree system, there is a world for dogs outside of this system with orgs such as the MBDA. This may not help you in relation to your current dilemma, but may be of general interest to you. 

Eta.. sorry I am assuming you’re in SA by your profile on the left side of the posts! Well, if you’re in Vic and you can’t get around it, take a hard look at SA if you can get exemptions here, move here! 

Edited by mingaling

If you’re in VIC there are other applicable organisations but I can’t remember all the names - I had to call up a few weeks ago to get them to list them because they were not defined. Lady was super rude too. The dogs did run down to just dogs vic and greyhound vic. 

However that was for a rego discount. Previous year I had him registered as an intact general dog. 

Do do you mind if I ask what council? See if we can’t scout your paperwork requirements for options. 

Most councils do allow intact unrecognised breeds and cross breeds but they cost a bit more. 

Thank you all for the responses, 

mingaling, unfortunately, I no longer live in SA - should probably update my profile whoops. It is interesting to know it looks like with their inclusion of the dog and cat management board they may be succeeding where Victoria (specifically my council under powers given to it by the state) has failed to include options other than Dogs Vic. Also thanks for the info about MBDA(MDBA?) I googled them and also found another organisation the aapdb, I've emailed both to see if they have applied or plan to apply for "applicable organisation" status.

Thistle the dog, I'm in Brimbank, though perhaps not for much longer if this can't be resolved. They allow any desexed dog, however, to have a non-desexed dog registered with them you must both be a member of an "applicable organisation" and have the dog registered with that organisation, or have a Vet willing to say desexing her would cause irreversible health issues.

I'll be contacting the council again soon, and hopefully sort this out. The relevant legislation states the council has to power to make exemptions etc. http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/ltobjst10.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/6864F3B9893D65E2CA25826B007B8B9D/$FILE/94-81aa074 authorised.pdf  

Edited by Seanbuzz
  • Sad 1

Yes, sorry,the MDBA!  Even if they can’t help in regards to “applicable organisations” they should certainly show more interest in you dog/breed than the traditional ANKC system.  Out of interest is the Klee Kai recognised as a breed within the FCI? 

The other thing that *may help is to get in touch with a few *breeders vets. There are vets around that are well known for servicing primarily the needs of registered breeders. It might be worth feeling them out in regards to desexing exemptions. Others here might be able to recommend some of these vets in Vic. 

• Like 1

I had a look last night and they aren't acknowledged by the FCI just the CKC, UKC, NKC, APRI, ACR

I've been researching Vets for a while and have come up with two or three choices. As when it is time to breed we'll be importing semen from the USA there's the Vet who works with Sires on Ice, The Monash Vet, or Wyndham Vet, There was also the Craigieburn Animal Hospital but it looks like they only work with Greyhounds when it comes to reproduction. 

I've managed to find info on the person up the chain of the legislation who might be able to help, but there was no answer when I called today so I'll try again next week. 

I've emailed and tried calling the MDBA, but no answer in either case yet. 

Edited by Seanbuzz

3 minutes ago, Seanbuzz said:

I had a look last night and they aren't acknowledged by the FCI just the CKC, UKC, NKC, APRI, ACR

I've been researching Vets for a while and have come up with two or three choices. As when it is time to breed we'll be importing semen from the USA there's the Vet who works with Sires on Ice, The Monash Vet, or Wyndham Vet, There was also the Craigieburn Animal Hospital but it looks like they only work with Greyhounds when it comes to reproduction. 

I've managed to find info on the person up the chain of the legislation who might be able to help, but there was no answer when I called today so I'll try again next week. 

I've emailed and tried calling the MDBA, but no answer in either case yet. 

I think DOL member @Steve is involved with the MDBA?  Maybe try sending them a pm through this forum as well. I’ve tagged them in this post too. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Seanbuzz said:

Thank you :) I did just try messaging him but when I pressed send it says he can't receive messages. 

Oh that’s a shame.....ps, “Steve” is a she.