Heat Bed for Older Dog - Recommendations?

poochmad

Hi guys. Henschke is now 10 and is really showing his age.

id like to get him a bed or something similar that is heated, probably waterproof to cover him as he gets older.

the other two dogs are on our bed and have the warmth from us and our electric blankets.

Would like any recommendations, please.

I had a heat up one too (no pee issues). Stussy ate it (it was unplugged). We bought several of those heat up disc thingies several years back and they are our go to item for cold winters now. They stay warm overnight and the dogs can move away from them if they feel too warm. Can't remember the brand name now. They are round hot pink hard plastic things that you put in the microwave. They weren't cheap but have lasted for years. Another DOLer will surely know the brand name of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mackiemad said:

LG-re you thinking of the snuggle safe? I've had mine for longer than I'd care to admit! 

Love mine.  I had two - gave one away after Scottie departed and kept the other one for me :) Worth every penny!

• Like 2

I often wrap the snuggle safe inside a furry hot water bottle cover. Sometimes I'll pad it out with a flanelette pillowcase as it hold heat well and it's nice and soft to give some padding. What I did more recently was put it under a soft faux fur square cat mat from petbarn to give it some softness (I have either these mats or polar fleeces in my pp20's for the cats) 

• Thanks 1

Hi PM,  For older dogs I suggest a bed with a waterproof lining under the fabric cover such as those from Orvis (and before you freak at the price, you can buy the covers only which vastly cuts down on shipping) and pairing it with a Snuggle Safe and washable blanket (I find the $4 or $5 jobs from Ikea are ideal - wash like rags and dry quickly).  I've had my Snuggle Safes for years, probably since Mac was about 10 so about 2009 - and they are fabulous - work like a charm.  And they seem to have come down in price in recent years. :) 

Edited by westiemum

• 2 weeks later...

I have two self warming dog beds. The first was for the Divine Miss Sophie in her dotage. She was a very big dog and until the pet bed arrived she would always stretch out to snooze..but with the per bed she would curl up and snore loudly all night and as the years went by much of the day as well. Dennys Dog inherited this bed and loved it as well as his Snooza Cuddler ( always popular with my oldies I think because their can have their backs up against the sides .  I bought a Snooza Big Dog Bed  for  Honey Too.

I am reluctant to use a heated bed for a dog that has mobility problems for the same reason that such products are not recommended for people who have mobility problems. 

• Like 1

I prefer beds with good support over heated beds. Henry Hottie is my current australian favourite. Pair it with an area that has no drafts and a blanket and they should stay comfortable. 

If that is not enough then I would be looking at additional support with exercise therapy and meds.

• Like 1

I tend to use those silver foil windscreen sunshades doubled/cut to shape in dog beds here ..they insulate and reflect body heat cheaply. A bed with sides and an igloo type roof (or a large box for smaller dogs) is warm as .... :) if temp drops below freezing - oldies get either a brick warmed on the slow combustion heater for 24 hrs ..or a 3 litre clear juice bottle filled with very hot tap water ..covered with a woolen sock and placed securely upright in one corner of bed . I have never had one leak, in about 12 yrs of using them for dogs/pups/chickens...!!

• 2 weeks later...