Immune mediate poly arthritis ???

Kazm

A friend of mine owns a mini schnauzer, who is almost 2 years old. He has just been diagnosed with immune mediated poly arthritis. I have never heard about this before. I googled it and kind of understand what it is. I would just like to know if others have dealt with this and what is the dogs prognosis.

Yes - direct experience. I haven’t seen anyone else on here talk about it over the years from memory. 

I think it all depends on how early it was diagnosed.  The vets I had at the time failed to diagnose it despite the presentation of symptoms - they were determined he had hip or elbow displaysia.  Even though he had a swollen hock, bowel issues, high WBC and a fever attack and shifting lameness over a few month period. 

It was thanks to DOL he was diagnosed as I had connected with another Dane owner who was a Vet nurse. I went and saw them and diagnosed very quickly. 

We went on a grain free food, he was on prednisone daily initially and avoided stress.  I think he was on another immuno suppressant later from memory. 

There is no happy ending to the story. About 6 weeks after a very stressful incident too, he took a turn.  From memory he developed pancreatitis and we had to back off the prednisone. When doing that we realised that not only was there the IMPA but another IM issue too in play - which can happen once they have one. 

There were too many fires for him to fight and we made the decision to have his peace. He was 21 months - so I think we had about 12 months after diagnosis. 

That was just under 10 years ago - hence being foggy on some details now. 

Wow. Thanks for your info. Sorry to hear things ended badly. Not nice. 

Apparently little Zac was diagnosed quickly.  It just happened one morning he woke up and couldn’t walk and was in a lot of pain. No prior symptoms I don’t think. His blood tests are all good now though.  He is on cortisone. He is usually such an energetic little guy but has been very lethargic although they are seeing some improvement in him. I haven’t seen him in a while so I can’t make any comments and don’t know the total full story. He is on a diet of meat broth and cooked meat and they are trying Chinese herbs also. They are hoping to have him off the medication in about 6 months. Hopefully theirs is a success story.

Will keep updating here when I receive more information.

I had a Belgian Shepherd diagnosed with immune mediated haemolytic anemia who developed poly arthritis during his recover phase. He recovered from both with cortisone treatment. 

• Like 1